The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like in Canada you can get as intoxicated as you like and commit a crime and your intoxication is a valid defense.
In this case where a man gets intoxicated, breaks in to a home and beats a woman, breaking all the bones in her hands. Calgary court restores hi acquittal, which I guess must have been over turned at some point.
A couple of cases before the courts here in Ontario is going to be using this precedent, one of whom killed his father in an intoxicated state.
Scary where our court system is going.

·
Premium Member
'97 Strat Plus, 70's Northern Strat Copy
2,158 Posts
I was baffled over this myself. I'm borderline on being able to accept an NCR on grounds of psychosis and the like but when it is drug induced I cannot understand how the court cannot argue that by willfully placing yourself into that state you are responsible for the actions you undertook while impared.

I've been pretty high before and I can assure you no one got beaten or dead. It was one hell of a Roger Waters concert though.

At what point will a criminal get willfully high, go off someone and then hide behind this president?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Does that means we should shoot all drunks on sight? I won't have enough ammo!

Seriously though, I have a few friends who are 'on the beat' police and they guesstimate that over 90% of general crime is from intoxication.

·
Registered
653 Posts
i don't think so bigger picture
the court didn't say go get stoned and beat somebody with a broom handle
they said the current law around getting stoned and beating somebody with a broom handle is poorly written and needs replacing so time to get on it right away 'cuz the tool we've got in the toolbox now isn't a good one
j

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
i don't think so bigger picture
the court didn't say go get stoned and beat somebody with a broom handle
they said the current law around getting stoned and beating somebody with a broom handle is poorly written and needs replacing so time to get on it right away 'cuz the tool we've got in the toolbox now isn't a good one
j
This is a much closer to the truth interpretation.

·
Registered
2016 Gibson Les Paul Special LTD.... 2019 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Tobacco
859 Posts
It looks like in Canada you can get as intoxicated as you like and commit a crime and your intoxication is a valid defense.
In this case where a man gets intoxicated, breaks in to a home and beats a woman, breaking all the bones in her hands. Calgary court restores hi acquittal, which I guess must have been over turned at some point.
A couple of cases before the courts here in Ontario is going to be using this precedent, one of whom killed his father in an intoxicated state.
Scary where our court system is going.
Its cute that you think its "our" court system.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Its cute that you think its "our" court system.
Badly worded law but dopey judges that decide to interpret it like this.
My son who suffers schizophrenia has been up on several charges, some violent. His cases have been remanded now for 2 years. For quite a while now they had him appear via video from a computer where ever he chose. Sometimes he'd show, sometimes he wouldn't. No consequences for not showing. Now for a while they've been able to come to court. He had a court date last week and was a no show. Absolutely no consequences. They just keep remanding. No bench warrant. He's been in trouble several times with no charges and they just keep letting him out even though he has no where to live. Its cute you think its not the courts. (No, not really cute).

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Ya, I was referring to that. Glad to they're changing it, that story was ridiculous.
It was. To be fair, they didn't get the other side of the story... mostly because the otherside of the story was laying unconscious in the street but what can ya do.

I am not opposed to charging cyclists and pedestrians for damage but that bar has to be set pretty damn high of you ask me.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts