The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Is the Thinline Tele a worth while investment?

• For tone?

• For return on investment?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been himming and hawing for a while now on adding a Thinline Tele to the mix. Was contemplating the MIM version. Is there enough difference in tone compared to the solid bodies to warrant the investment? Just kicking the tires right now but you never know.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I agree with @Budda. I had a thinline that I thought was literally that, thin sounding. It may have been the pickups, but I dropped it very quickly. I now have a MIC Thinline deluxe with P90s, and it sounds glorious!!

·
Registered
871 Posts
A 70s Thinline with WRHBs is on my wish list, now that Fender is making CuNiFe pickups again (vs. disguising a regular HB in an oversized cover).
Tone??? Just listen to Tab Benoit straight into an amp!!!

·
Premium Member
18,833 Posts
A 70s Thinline with WRHBs is on my wish list, now that Fender is making CuNiFe pickups again (vs. disguising a regular HB in an oversized cover).
Tone??? Just listen to Tab Benoit straight into an amp!!!
I'll take new or old but want to try the CuNiFe pickups as well - the only aftermarket guys stopped a while back IIRC.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Is there enough difference in tone compared to the solid bodies to warrant the investment?
I can't tell you if it's worth the investment, but I'd say there's a big difference in tone. If you ascribe to the belief that an electric guitar is at it's core an acoustic instrument, it would be hard to argue they would sound alike. My current tele lineup is a Britt Daniel thinline tele, 52 AVRI and a CS 63. They all have different pickups, but the thinline has a "rounder" tone to it. This is even more noticeable if you're a bedroom player because you'll hear the acoustic sound of the guitar as well as the amp. The converse argument would be something like how a Les Paul and ES-335/339 sound wildly different with the same pickup/electronics setup. I know they're very different guitars, but you get what I'm saying. A nice bonus is that they're light as a feather which is always nice.

Edit: I like the thinline so much it's basically pushed the 52 AVRI out of the rotation. It'll be for sale very soon.

·
Premium Member
Fender, Gibson, Martin
37 Posts
When I saw Tab Benoit play a few years ago at a blues festival, his thineline was the best sounding guitar I heard that day. Of course it’s all in his fingers, but it’s a guitar I’ve been enamored with ever since.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I agree with crann's post: electroncs only goes so far in comparing solid vs thinline Teles.

Also agree w/ the acoustic sounds being quite loud, I don't think they make good bedroom guitars unless you want to play acoustically where they're excellent. The reason I gave up mine years back was because of that rounder tone that crann was referring to. I find all hollowbodies without exception tend to kill some of the high mids and low trebles that I value greatly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a '69 Thinline RI that is a fantastic player. Tone-wise it is not as bright as a regular Telecaster. It weighs nothing. The acoustic properties let me sit on the front porch and plunk away and still hear it easily. One of my favourites.

·
Premium Member
19,623 Posts
How important is guitar weight to a bunch of guys who sit down to play 90% of the time?

Sore legs?

I was always happier with a guitar with some heft to it back when I was doing three or four sets a night standing up.

Now, maybe it would bug me, I dunno.

·
Registered
871 Posts
How important is guitar weight to a bunch of guys who sit down to play 90% of the time?

Sore legs?

I was always happier with a guitar with some heft to it back when I was doing three or four sets a night standing up.

Now, maybe it would bug me, I dunno.
Yep, it now bugs me (thanks to a herniated disc); weight is now on my checklist for any guitar purchase! (Kudos to Brad and his Well-Hung straps to help alleviate the situation!)

·
Premium Member
19,623 Posts
Yep, it now bugs me (thanks to a herniated disc); weight is now on my checklist for any guitar purchase! (Kudos to Brad and his Well-Hung straps to help alleviate the situation!)

Well, then maybe poplar and pine are your new friends.

I made two basically identically shaped and routed guitars, one out of alder and the other out of poplar.

The alder sounds fine, but it weighs a lot more and you can definitely feel that. I'm growing fond of poplar. I've always had good luck with it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts