The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suppose this could be posted in the acoustic section as well.

Thinline guitars, both electric and acoustic (especially acoustic) except for thinline teles, hold no interest for me. It's likely because the acoustic tone is exactly like the style, thin, compared to a wider body. (i.e. Ibanez AG-75 vs. AF-75) I don't feel the same about a tele thinline because there is no tele "thickline". I know the 335 style guitars are loved and appreciated by most and for good reason but that style just holds no interest for me. Does anyone else feel the same?

·
Registered
24,686 Posts
The goal is not necessarily to achieve any sort of acoustic tone, but rather to a) lessen the mass and weight on one's shoulders, and b) provide a different sort of body resonance when the volume level is turned up a bit.

·
Registered
11,677 Posts
I suppose this could be posted in the acoustic section as well.

Thinline guitars, both electric and acoustic (especially acoustic) except for thinline teles, hold no interest for me. It's likely because the acoustic tone is exactly like the style, thin, compared to a wider body. (i.e. Ibanez AG-75 vs. AF-75) I don't feel the same about a tele thinline because there is no tele "thickline". I know the 335 style guitars are loved and appreciated by most and for good reason but that style just holds no interest for me. Does anyone else feel the same?
is this a 'lets bash on thinline guitars for their lack of acoustic tone' thread or 'im confused about guitars in general and the sound they make' thread or 'i should just buy an acoustic because up this point it turns out i've been doing it wrong' thread

oh Steadly, you're a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma, inside a burrito

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about the Eric Johnson Thinline Strat?

Good point. For some that would be great to have. You would have to like strats to begin with, though and it's something that has never appealed to me. That's likely why I missed it in my post.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The goal is not necessarily to achieve any sort of acoustic tone, but rather to a) lessen the mass and weight on one's shoulders, and b) provide a different sort of body resonance when the volume level is turned up a bit.
Yes, for some. For me that wouldn't matter. That can be gain with electronics.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Thinline guitars, both electric and acoustic (especially acoustic) except for thinline teles, hold no interest for me. It's likely because the acoustic tone is exactly like the style, thin, compared to a wider body.
There seems to be a lot of strange logic in this post. Even making the stretch of assuming than thicker guitars produce a "thicker" sound, is more "thick" low-end always good? Nope. It often muddies the sound, especially with overdrive. Maybe if you play by yourself then a nice full sound is good. But when you want to stand out in a mix, too much bass is bad.

By this logic, bigger instruments are always better. So violins are crap because you can get a viola. And violas are crap because cellos are best. Actually, if you put some really tight, thin strings on a double bass, it would make the best violin tone.

I don't feel the same about a tele thinline because there is no tele "thickline".
So, if someone made a Tele Thickline would you start hating Tele Thinlines?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Semi hollow or "thinlines" or whatever you want to call them are what they are. They're a category or class of guitar all their own. They're not trying to be anything else so trying to compare them to another class of guitar for the sake of putting them down makes no sense. They have their niche and following just like any other style of guitar and just like any other style of guitar some like them, some don't. I don't quite get the point of your post other than you're trying to draw unnecessary and unsolicited negative criticism toward a style of guitar you dont like which quite frankly is disrespectful to those who do.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not I. I love 335 style guitars. Sure they sound awful acoustic, but they make magic at stage volumes
That's why I am not enamoured by them. To me, if you're going to have a hollow body, have one that at least sounds somewhat decent. Interestingly, my first hollow body was an Ibanez AG-75. It is an excellent guitar, electrically but a dog, acoustically. I sold it a long time ago.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
11,075 Posts
I like them, though I don't currently have one.

The Tele Thinlines were just essentially weight relieved, though the ProTone was killer...ash.

Of the archtops, an Ibanez was very good, an Epiphone Dot Studio less so, but both had a nice woody tone.

In any event, for me, nothing about thinlines is about unplugged tone.

One complaint I have about many thinlines is the location of the f-hole(s). I just can't get my head around an f-hole that isn't aligned with the bridge like a violin or mandolin.

·
Registered
14,904 Posts
I'm not into Teles--they just aren't my thing--but I haven't started a thread about them.

If I ever was to get a Tele it would be a thinline.

but I would be more inclined to get something more of a gibson style (Not necessarily with Gibson on the headstock, but that style)

P-Rail, trapeze tailpiece & fixed bridge would be cool...

Oh, and I love my Ibanez AF95--you just didn't go up high enough number wise I guess...

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not into Teles--they just aren't my thing--but I haven't started a thread about them.

If I ever was to get a Tele it would be a thinline.

but I would be more inclined to get something more of a gibson style (Not necessarily with Gibson on the headstock, but that style)

P-Rail, trapeze tailpiece & fixed bridge would be cool...

Oh, and I love my Ibanez AF95--you just didn't go up high enough number wise I guess...
I had looked at that model a number of times and finally tried one out in Buffalo when I lived in St. Catharines, ON. What a lovely guitar and it sounded okay acoustically as well. I came close to buying it but opted for the Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin instead.

·
Premium Member
12,224 Posts
The OP appears to be so confused.

First of all, he admits to buying electric guitars for how they sound acoustically and doesn't really care about how they sound electrically? Really, he is buying the wrong type of guitar in this case. He should just buy a good acoustic and enjoy it. It will always sound so much better than an electric played as an acoustic - any electric, even a big box jazz guitar. Maybe the fact that he's never played a good acoustic has tainted him to how good an acoustic can and should sound - I dunno.

Secondly, regarding body resonance, he says "That can be gain with electronics." Uh, no it can't. It is a fundamentally different tone and response/feel. Personally, I love how thin-line guitars come alive in your hands at band volumes. Even more so with fully open archtops, like a G6120, although sometimes, if the volume is too high, they can become problematic. Thinlines just fill that gap between a solid body guitar and a fully open guitar - and no cheap modeling pedal is going to do any of this.

·
Premium Member
12,224 Posts
Try recreating this with a pedal. lol

Yep, especially in a small club like the Iridium. Realistically, there isn't any way with the possibly exception of a Sustainiac, and I don't think that's the same either. Certainly no pedal or modeler though. Tres impossible.

Reactions: jdto
1 - 20 of 29 Posts