The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
imbackagain2 said:
4000$ ?????????????/wtf thats the price of a car
Dude, that's 2x the price of my car. That's why I can buy nice gear :p .

Seriously, I'd rather put money into instruments than cars...it's a better investment if you buy smartly. And, my '88 Camry is still pretty reliable.

Now, back to the D18GE...they are usually GREAT guitars. I mean, take your breath away great. Of the 6 or 7 I've played, a few were duds, but not often. And, there is nothing like a great acoustic. As the guy who builds Komet amps says, he tries to capture the tone of a great acoustic, but he's never quite achieved that goal (and, if you've heard a Komet, you'll know the high regard he holds for stellar acoustics).

·
Registered
274 Posts
if you're going to drop that kind of money on a martin for the sound, get a 12th fret joint. TONE!

unlikely that you will be playing up there so much anyway

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's probably the accountant in me, but is this a 'need' or 'want to have'. 4 large is a lot; are you paying for the name - is there a better value out there?

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Calgary Slim said:
It's probably the accountant in me, but is this a 'need' or 'want to have'. 4 large is a lot; are you paying for the name - is there a better value out there?
Accountants. :rolleyes: :p

I pay money for the best sounding guitar nothing more, nothing less. There is a certain quality that you get from Martin, Taylor etc etc

Now there are particulars about this guitar that are hard to find from other manufactures. Adirondack Spruce top. It has a wider nut spacing which just feels right to me. It also has the big vintage V martin neck that I'm really liking on my J41.

Jeff

·
Registered
217 Posts
Well first of all have you played that model.? With a modified v neck it may not be to your liking.And for that type of cash all you get is a neck made of " select hardwood" Gotta do better than that.
Thirdly for that cash you can get a custom hand made job from some of the better luthiers around and to your specifications.
Fourth IMO a Brazilian Rosewood stock is virtually meaningless to the tone and playability of the guitar but certainly drives the price way up.
In my worthless opinion that's a rip.
Benee Wafers

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
NICE...... and really looking at the price of some other such as gibson,larravie or taylor in the same category the price isn't that far out of whack.... out of my whack but if you gotta have it you gotta have it.....:D

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Benee Wafers said:
Well first of all have you played that model.? With a modified v neck it may not be to your liking.And for that type of cash all you get is a neck made of " select hardwood" Gotta do better than that.
Thirdly for that cash you can get a custom hand made job from some of the better luthiers around and to your specifications.
Fourth IMO a Brazilian Rosewood stock is virtually meaningless to the tone and playability of the guitar but certainly drives the price way up.
In my worthless opinion that's a rip.
Benee Wafers
First: No, I haven't played the guitar and won't buy it if it doesn't move me. That's why the title says "Thinking this might be my next acoustic".

Second: I have a J41-S with that exact neck and absolutely love it.

Third: I'm not giving anyone $4000 dollars on a guitar I can't try and decline if it's a dud. Name a builder that will build me a $4000 guitar and let me back out at no cost?

Fourth: The Braz - Adirondack - GE name drives up the price not just the braz head stock.

But thanks for coming out....:thanks5qx:

·
Registered
217 Posts
That's in your head Jeff, not mine.
I don't know you from a hole in the wall and vice versa. I saw your post and gave you what I thought you might need, good advice.
And the bottom line still stands. That guitar, from what I read of the description and as I posted previously appears to be a rip.
And like I said previously, in my worthless opinion.
So chill flowerman,it ain't me that's judging you.
Benee

1 - 20 of 28 Posts