The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of going to montreal in mid august with a couple buddies. Do any montrealers or people who have visited have any recommendations for places to see?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
why would you wanna go to montreal? Come to Ottawa, eh?
:smilie_flagge17:

but in answer to your question, they have the Biodome, and the Olympic stadium, and if you're into it, they also have the botanical gardens. Oh and there's a revolving restaurant on the top of the Ramada Hotel I believe. It's pretty cool. And of course La Ronde. Which I prefer over Wonderland, better rides, less lines, cheaper.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
SnowBlind said:
I was thinking of going to montreal in mid august with a couple buddies. Do any montrealers or people who have visited have any recommendations for places to see?Thanks.
...old montreal, of course.

take a walk along st denis street. north of sherbrooke st during the day, for shopping, south of sherbrooke st for the night life.

greek pizzarias.

la commencal, an amazing vegetarian buffet restaurant at the corner of mcgill college and ste catherines streets, near place ville marie.

bring your own wine restaurants (and bagel shops) in the area southeast of the mountain.

steve's music store, and the very rude pawn shops on the same street.

lafleurs for steamies and frites.

-an ex-montrealer

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
a vegetarian buffet? is that not just a salad bar? *BAM*

lol:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Xanadu said:
a vegetarian buffet? is that not just a salad bar? *BAM*
lol:food-smiley-004:

...you'd think so, but this place is amazing. i'm not even a vegetarian, and i fell in love with this place. great ambiance, intriguing clientele, great view of ste catherines street and some of the most inventive dishes you've ever experienced. plus, they charge you for your food by weight (the food, not yours, silly!), meaning you only pay for what you want to eat.

and then there's the desserts...

:food-smiley-015:

-dh

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
LaFleurs .... now I miss Montreal. Hadn't thought about it in years, but my mouth is watering just thinking about thier steamies and frits... It would definitely be my first stop!

Then over to The Main to have a smoke meat sandwich at Schwartz's on St. Lawrence.

And maybe to The Montreal Pool room for the second best steamies in the city. It's gotta be a least 15 years since I was there, but I can still remember to smell and the taste!

And, oh yeah, the girls are pretty nice too.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
For smoked meat, i like shinoys..(i dont know how to spell it) but its one of my favourite places to eat.

·
Registered
788 Posts
david henman said:
steve's music store, and the very rude pawn shops on the same street.
LOL...Jack's Music, what a dive that place is, I pity the poor souls that cant sniff out the bad vibe in that place and actually shop there.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Ben`s on St. Catherine street for cheesecake... out of this, or any other, frickin world. Walkin` up and down St. Lawrence street for fun. Club Montreal...don`t know if its still there or called something else now but...what a place to see a show...I watched King Crimson from about 15 feet away years ago...saw Midnight Oil there too...among many others.
Been away for 13 years so there probably are tons of places now that I don`t know about. Hopefully...this will be our last year here so I`ll be back in circulation soon. You have been warned.

·
Registered
788 Posts
just buzzing around on foot on St-catherines street should give you a good vibe of montreal, especially at night on a weekend. Lots to see and do. :food-smiley-004: for steamies I second the poolroom, just south of st-catherines on st-laurent, also check out Shwartz's deli on st-laurent abot 10-15 minutes walk north of st-catherines, it's pretty hard to miss the line up's. Also you may want to check out the clubs on Crescent street. Italmelodie and Steve's are the better music stores, there is also archambault on st-catherines.

Although I have not been to the Tam-Tam on the mountain off Park Ave. on sunday afternoons in the summer in a long while, they have always impressed my friends in TO when they visited it, It's a bunch of hippy's playing conga drums and people lying on the grass smoking pot and drinking beer in full view of the police, who tolerate it :D

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
right...the Montreal Symphony used to give a series of free concerts in the parks around town in the summer too. Westmount is nice. Gotta try and find a French country and western place... used to be around Parc Lafontaine. The outdoor cafes on old Montreal on a summer day are real nice, as are the flea markets along the old port...great way to spend an afternoon. Sangria pitchers in the evenings along Bishop or Crescent streets. Sherbrooke street is beautiful...maybe lunch at the Four Seasons? Have a look at some of the oldest building in Canada on Sherbrooke st. down near Atwater...cool to see the slots where they used to fire the muskets from. The Bio Dome... to see the penguins. See whats on at Place des Arts. Greek food along Prince...something or other, I`ve forgotten...used to be able to bring your own wine...is it Prince Arthur street?

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
sneakypete said:
Greek food along Prince...something or other, I`ve forgotten...used to be able to bring your own wine...is it Prince Arthur street?
...haven't visited that area for a couple of years, but hopefully its not changed too much. i used to eat there a lot when i lived in montreal. run out of wine in the middle of your meal? pop out to the depanneur next door for more!

:food-smiley-004:

-dh

·
Registered
788 Posts
yeah, Prince Arther st. is cool, the best greek food I have ever had is at "Hermes " on Jean-Talon just east of L'Acadie....actualy it's the best food I've ever had in a restorant period, around $30 or 40 per person drinks included.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts