The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys!
I've got a 74 Fender Twin Reverb that I really love but since I don't really play gigs anymore, I was thinking of going to something smaller just for playing at home.
Are there any models of Fender (tube only) amps I should be looking at?
I need that clean Fender sound and an amp that can take pedals well.

I'm still hesitant to grt rid of the Twin because that thing sounds pretty much perfect. But it weighs a ton and I have a road case for it and that shit barely fits in my SUV :)

Thanks for reading my 1st world problem. Interested in hearing your amp model suggestions.
Don't really want to spend more money. Would rather sell the Twin if I have to and spend some cash on a new amp.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
18,745 Posts
Do you need to reduce volume or just want a smaller, lighter amp?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Super Champ. Great little amp with two channels. The clean side takes pedals very well. There are two models. The discontinued XD and the new X2. I bought both, thinking they'd be different, but they're pretty similar.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! Forgot to mention that if I go to a friend's house to write music or just jam a bit, it's a pain in the ass to carry this thing.
Lighter would definitely be better right now. Volume isnt that much of an issue though.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
How about the Princeton? I have never played one but thats the one I would get. Smaller, lighter with that Fender clean sound and I hear it takes pedals well.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Don't get rid of your Twin Reverb, you will not find another amp that sounds that good, still sounds good when you turn it down and can take pedals that well.

The value of a Twin is low right now, everyone wants the smaller amps, and the 1974 isn't a desirable year, yet, but that will change. This isn't the time to sell it, anyways. And don't ever sell it.

You should leave another amp at your friend's house.

Here's a 1969 Twin Reverb for an awesome price.
1969 Fender Twin Reverb (Silverface) | amps, pedals | Ottawa | Kijiji

Or a 1970 Pro Reverb, a similar sized amp, a bit lighter with less power.
Fender Pro Reverb 212 Combo - ~1970 | amps, pedals | Ottawa | Kijiji

If you can bring yourself to try a Traynor, this is worth a trip to Spaceman Music.
Traynor YGM-3 combo - Spaceman Music

A ?68? Super Reverb, all the weight and even bigger than the Twin with half the power.
Fender Super Reverb

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
Depending whete you live and the condition of the Twin Reverb, I'd say it will sell crazy fast for $500. The right buyer? $1200, if its clean and recently serviced. If you took the cash to replace it, consider a re-issue Vibrolux Reverb, Deluxe Reverb or Princeton Reverb. If you are able to pull out $1200, an original 70's Vibrolux may be had. If you are patient. To me, the PR is too small but you may love it. All amps mentioned have the infamous basic Fender clean with reverb tone. All are great. They will vary in bass response and break up volume. You may miss the full round glorious Twin tone. You can't closely replicate it with a smaller amp. My poc would be the Vibrolux. I owned a 73 Twin and a 71 Vibrolux for some time. I recently let the Twin go, sadly. The Vibrolux is very good and I still have it.

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
If you need a lightweight amp to go play at a friends house, you can get away with a used inexpensive solid state practice amp. I would seriously consider any of the easily available and affordable practice amps available on Kijiji.

I have a $5 yard sale Traynor YS-10 that would impress the hell out of you.

·
Premium Member
6,224 Posts
Keep the twin, but a used Roland Cube 30 or 60. I gigged with one for years. Sounds as good as any tube amp in the mix.
I jammed with a guy getting killer country cleans out of his Cube 30 last weekend. Fender Mustang series can do a good facimile of a Blackface clean tone.

My go to little fender is a 1973 Pepco Riviera 730. It's a Blackface Princeton Reverb clone of sorts. Came as a head with a 1x15 cab. I robbed the 15 for my Super Reverb and an in the process of building a 1x12 combo cab for the Riveira with a C-Rex

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
If you like the Twin, I think a Deluxe Reverb (vintage or re-issue) would be right up your alley. Much lighter than the 2 6L6 single 12 Fenders and it has that Fender sound. Not exactly a Twin sound (which is good, you already have that) but an iconic sound on it's own. And at 22 watts it can easily hang with drummers and stay clean.

I've been using mine for practice that last couple of week (just leaving it at the drummer's house) and I'm always pleasantly surprised when I dig it out again. I've considered selling it as I have a few others that are close to what it does, but when I go through a phase like this, I decide to keep it again. I also put an Eminence Maverick FDM speaker in it so I can tame the output level by 9dB and run the volume at 6 (nice break up) where without that speaker I would be at 3 (very clean) and be as loud as I can get. Last night, in a small jam space, I had it at about 4 or 4.5 with my LP, so just on that verge of break up. And then pedals to get it over the edge. I see DRRI's used for under $1000 bucks and they hold their value, especially the vintages ones (which I don't see anymore under $1000)

Reactions: Beaster

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone! Great suggestions! Still not sure about getting rid of the Twin. It just sounds too damn good. I think I'll keep it for now :)

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Thanks everyone! Great suggestions! Still not sure about getting rid of the Twin. It just sounds too damn good. I think I'll keep it for now :)
Forgot to mention, I would keep the Twin if I were you. It is iconic and as long as you have something lighter, you can always play it at home. You'll probably miss it if you sell it.

I guess it depends on whether you want to stay within that Fender tone camp what your second amp will be. I was assuming you wanted something very similar but easier to play out.

Reactions: Beaster
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.