The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Late last year, I bought a Line 6 Helix, which is a fantastic piece of gear with a huge variety of amps and effects that sound really fantastic through a good set of speakers. After a few months, I sort of felt it was overkill and I had also picked up an Amplifire which was getting me the tones I wanted, so I moved the Helix.

Just recently, I also picked up a Marshall Mini Jubilee combo and the matching 212 cab, which sound really good once they get cooking. Of course, I can almost never stretch the Marshall's legs at home, even in 5W mode, which sort of sucks since I am a home player. I love the amp and the cab, but it's not exactly the best solution for my application.

Lately, I've been trying to play and learn some songs where some effects are needed to get the sound, so I've now started putting together a pedalboard with some nice pedals on it. All of this is, of course, turning into a more complicated and cumbersome rig than I had anticipated and I'm wondering if I should come full circle back to the Helix.

I'm sort of just thinking it through and kicking around the idea. I have a fantastic FRFR cabinet from XiTone, my Amplifire sounds great through it and the Helix would, too.

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
8,376 Posts
Well, there's only one way to find out so you're gonna have to buy the thing.

I find that if you follow the "This Has To Be Done Now" principle you can't go far wrong in life ... lol

·
Premium Member
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Or buy an fx8? ;)
Hmmm. Or the AX8? :D

Anyway, I am gonna finish setting up my pedalboard and see if I can make it work. I might need a new power supply, but that and a Big Muff are still cheaper than a Helix. I was getting some decent TV volume sounds out of my Marshall tonight, which has somewhat assuaged my desire for the Helix. For now.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
I have a Helix LT and I’ve really really enjoyed it for playing at home and out. Having the ability to play thru headphones for late nite playing has been awesome, and it’s nice to get the firmware updates every little while; they just updated to 2.30 and got a few new amps and some new effects as well. It’s like buying a bunch of new amps and effects, but it’s for free and you don’t have to hope that the significant other won’t notice the new amp or pedal in the guitar room :D

·
Premium Member
4,004 Posts
Well, there's only one way to find out so you're gonna have to buy the thing.

I find that if you follow the "This Has To Be Done Now" principle you can't go far wrong in life ... lol
Nope! go rent one from L&M.
Go for a month, after that time & if it’s the thing that you want, buy it.

Reactions: jdto and colchar

·
Banned
11,532 Posts
For units like the Helix, Eleven Rack, etc. is there really a noticeable difference between amp models? If you switch from a Marshall to a Fender is the difference noticeable and when using each do you think 'yep, that sounds like a Marshall' or 'yeah, that sounds like a Fender'?

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
For units like the Helix, Eleven Rack, etc. is there really a noticeable difference between amp models? If you switch from a Marshall to a Fender is the difference noticeable and when using each do you think 'yep, that sounds like a Marshall' or 'yeah, that sounds like a Fender'?
Yes very much so, and with the helix’s different cabinets and mics you can definitely tailor the sound to pretty much whatever your heart and ears desire. Then there’s the whole world of Impulse Responses you can load up for even more cabs and even acoustic guitar sim...it’s crazy!

·
Premium Member
19,735 Posts
They've been reasonably good at this (with room for growth) since the Pod XT IMO. The older software had limitations but those with great ears could still get convincing sounds out of units. Today you can great tones from $300 modellers.

·
Premium Member
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, absolutely. Same with my Amplifire.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Having the ability to play thru headphones for late nite playing has been awesome
Playing with headphones is cool... but...

I have managed to come up with a couple of ways to get some decent sounds with my pedals through headphones. Stereo effects are especially captivating. However, I am tempted to turn up the volume louder and louder, and before I know it I've had more sound pumped into my ears than is good for me. I find that headphones at a reasonable volume don't sound that satisfying to me, so I end up turning them up more and more.

Doing that once a week for an hour probably isn't going to be a big problem. But hearing loss is also cumulative and can result from repeated loud-ish events. (For instance, I don't wear earplugs when I mow my lawn, but if I did it for a living I should.) Headphones seemed like a great solution to keep things quiet, but for me they had the potential to cause hearing loss with repeated use.

I am fortunate to have a basement to play in at home, so I do not have to be totally silent. I have come to the conclusion that pedals into a clean amp turned down is more satisfying than headphones at a reasonable volume. The ambience of the room or maybe something else makes the sound feel more alive, something that turning up the headphones tries to accomplish with more volume.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.