The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been using BIAS FX off the iPad and I love it. But, I think I want to experiment with building a little pedalboard. Here's what's going to go on it:

Mooer Red Truck, 15"x4"
Boss RC-30 Looper, 7"x7"
Triangle Big Muff Pi, normal pedal size
Dunlop DVP4 mini-volume / expression
Maybe my larger FV-500L
Some kind of power supply

Don't want to use velcro. Want to go the zip-tie route.

Narrowed it down to a couple of boards:

Holyboard The New Standard
Holeyboard TNS.JPG
Holeyboard Zig Zag
Holeyboard ZZ.JPG
Temple Audio Duo 24 (Canadian)
Temple Audio Duo 24.jpg

Kinda leaning towards one of the Holeyboard models. Likely the modular Zig Zag.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
this works for me ...
place the pedals on the board as you like them and then cut to size...
G.

DSC05308s.jpg

Reactions: Todd MacCulloch

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
Sweet bare bones board there @GTmaker . Love the complete lack of dirt.

@1SweetRide I strongly recommend against second stories on pedalboards. YMMV, but they don't add any value IMHO (instead of having to reach further back, you need to reach higher up, and back to actuate; better to have a flat bnoard and reach or use a FX loop controller), just makes the whole thing bigger/bulkier to carry around.

Personally, I like keeping it to a single row and skip the controller (extra expense; extra cable lengthening the signal chain for no good reason; more points of failure) - go long if you have to, vs deep. If it gets too long, you have have 2 halves - get a bag or box that can hold them back to back for easy transport (I did a DIY one where the 2 halves lock together into a solid box a bit smaller than a 50 watt Marshall head). Buddy in another band just carries around a single plank with , like 6-8 pedals on it.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Temple Audio Duo 24 (Canadian)
It's light, you can put the power supply underneath as well as route cables underneath, they make cases to fit if you ever want to take your board on the go, and I think they have some reasonable resale value. If you want to get crazy, the modular patch panels and power switches are pretty handy, but you can add those later if desired.

As you've figured out, zip ties work well, but the pedal plates are pretty good too. I've also found that some pedals' screw holes line up with the pattern on the Temple board, so if you get some slightly longer machine screws that fit in your pedal and some washers, you can bolt them right to the board. I've done this with a couple of volume pedals, just using two screws on opposite corners of the pedal.

The site http://templeplanner.com is handy for laying out your board. They don't have the Red Truck on the site, but you could probably use a few similarly-sized placeholders. I've found the sizing close to accurate, but maybe leave a hair more room than you think or else things might be too close. Another trick if you want to get the most out of a smaller board is that you can take the handles off and let the pedals overlap the end caps.

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet bare bones board there @GTmaker . Love the complete lack of dirt.

@1SweetRide I strongly recommend against second stories on pedalboards. YMMV, but they don't add any value IMHO (instead of having to reach further back, you need to reach higher up, and back to actuate; better to have a flat bnoard and reach or use a FX loop controller), just makes the whole thing bigger/bulkier to carry around.

Personally, I like keeping it to a single row and skip the controller (extra expense; extra cable lengthening the signal chain for no good reason; more points of failure) - go long if you have to, vs deep. If it gets too long, you have have 2 halves - get a bag or box that can hold them back to back for easy transport (I did a DIY one where the 2 halves lock together into a solid box a bit smaller than a 50 watt Marshall head). Buddy in another band just carries around a single plank with , like 6-8 pedals on it.
Good advice but didn't see this in time. I tried to look at the Temple Duo 24 but no one stocks them. After watching countless video, I ended up with the smallest Holeyboard. With the handles, I can easily swing this into the back of the SUV and schlep it up a few stairs.

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's light, you can put the power supply underneath as well as route cables underneath, they make cases to fit if you ever want to take your board on the go, and I think they have some reasonable resale value. If you want to get crazy, the modular patch panels and power switches are pretty handy, but you can add those later if desired.

As you've figured out, zip ties work well, but the pedal plates are pretty good too. I've also found that some pedals' screw holes line up with the pattern on the Temple board, so if you get some slightly longer machine screws that fit in your pedal and some washers, you can bolt them right to the board. I've done this with a couple of volume pedals, just using two screws on opposite corners of the pedal.

The site http://templeplanner.com is handy for laying out your board. They don't have the Red Truck on the site, but you could probably use a few similarly-sized placeholders. I've found the sizing close to accurate, but maybe leave a hair more room than you think or else things might be too close. Another trick if you want to get the most out of a smaller board is that you can take the handles off and let the pedals overlap the end caps.
I discovered that same site and had some fun experimenting with different layouts. As you've probably read above, I couldn't find a Temple Audio Duo 24 anywhere to look at so I went with the smallest Holeyboard. Also bought the new Strymon Ojai 5 outlet power supply.

·
Premium Member
2,222 Posts
The Ojai is a great ps. I have the cioks Adam on my little board, it works well but doesn’t have the current output that the ojai does. The new thin one fits under pretty much anything.

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Ojai is a great ps. I have the cooks Adam on my little board, it works well but doesn’t have the current output that the ojai does. The new thin one fits under pretty much anything.
Yup, it's about the size of half pack of cigarettes and having the external power supply probably helps reduce noise too.

·
Premium Member
12,217 Posts
I hate to say this (and I hope I ain't stepping on any toes) but I've often found the size of the board is inversely related to the player's ability to get usable sounds out of it.

I'd rather jam with a guy with 3 or 4 pedals but knows exactly what they do and how to use them than a guy with a dozen pedals but spends all his time turning knobs, pushing buttons, flipping switches - and still kinda sounds like ass. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hate to say this (and I hope I ain't stepping on any toes) but I've often found the size of the board is inversely related to the player's ability to get usable sounds out of it.

I'd rather jam with a guy with 3 or 4 pedals but knows exactly what they do and how to use them than a guy with a dozen pedals but spends all his time turning knobs, pushing buttons, flipping switches - and still kinda sounds like ass. YMMV.
Hey, heh. You must really hate The Edge.

·
Premium Member
12,217 Posts
Hey, heh. You must really hate The Edge.
LOL

'Hate' is a pretty strong word, but I would say I tend to go another direction, pretty much the polar opposite of him. But to each their own: "Play what you love and love what you play". Who knows what I would do if I had a stage built specifically for my needs - and a couple roadies to deal with my gear?

I did find the doc "It Might Get Loud" gave me a new appreciation for Edge and Jack White ---- and learned that Page is still god. The respect they showed when he started playing "Whole Lotta Love" said it all.

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL

'Hate' is a pretty strong word, but I would say I tend to go another direction, pretty much the polar opposite of him. But to each their own: "Play what you love and love what you play". Who knows what I would do if I had a stage built specifically for my needs - and a couple roadies to deal with my gear?

I did find the doc "It Might Get Loud" gave me a new appreciation for Edge and Jack White ---- and learned that Page is still god. The respect they showed when he started playing "Whole Lotta Love" said it all.
Couldn't agree more and Page was such a gentleman. I myself would pick Keith Richards over The Edge as I lean more towards the Blues sound.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Some of us need to make up for a lack of talent somehow. ;)

That said, I’ve found that if I don’t need to get a specific sound, a little board is easier to jam with. So now I’m in the unfortunate position of also having a jam board and the additional GAS that ensues.

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

That said, I’ve found that if I don’t need to get a specific sound, a little board is easier to jam with. So now I’m in the unfortunate position of also having a jam board and the additional GAS that ensues.
I’m still enjoying BIAS FX. Even more now that it’s out on iPhone. The board is an experiment for me. Got all of the remaining components today except for the pedalboard. Hooked everything up. Made some mistakes with connections but am happy with the results so far.

·
Registered
662 Posts

I think a jam board is great idea; I have one as well. I wanted a board that sounded good, easy to carry and I wouldn’t be too upset if it was damaged.

I settled on a pedaltrain nano with a Korg pitch black, Boss ds1, Boss blues driver, an electric mistress clone, and a digitech digital delay. It works out great, because a few buddies of mine are getting into pedals and it’s cool to show them cheap but usable options. Also, this simple setup manages to convincingly cover my lack of talent.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
I settled on a pedaltrain nano with a Korg pitch black, Boss ds1, Boss blues driver, an electric mistress clone, and a digitech digital delay. It works out great, because a few buddies of mine are getting into pedals and it’s cool to show them cheap but usable options. Also, this simple setup manages to convincingly cover my lack of talent.
I started with a tiny board at first, but it did get just a little bit bigger. I've got a tuner, vibe, drive, delay, and reverb/tremolo. The intent was to be cheap too, but it didn't go that way. :(

·
Premium Member
12,217 Posts

Yes, another +1 for a jam board. In fact, I ended up with 2 of them. The smallest is battery powered and has a few of those cheaper tiny Chinese pedals, which have worked out well so far.

The slightly larger one is still one row of pedals, with 2 drives and a compressor (that change every now and then) and 80-odd mod effects, 3 out of 6 presets at a time, with the L6 M9. It's also my tuner. That board has basically replaced my 'big board' which has two rows and the more exotic effects mounted. They all have my basic requirement of 2 drives, compressor, tuner and mods and and middle sized board does just fine in a band environment, with less space required. The more I use the M9, the better I get at it (well, mostly remembering which scenes have which effects in them).

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
just a small update :

I do have another pedal board that's a bit more traditional.
The "theme" remains the same as I just added the MXR mini Flanger.
G.
DSC07046s.jpg

Reactions: greco
1 - 20 of 26 Posts