The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This is my first post here. I'm currently playing a Dean Playmate bass which I bought from a friend of mine a couple of years ago just to hack around with. I set it up myself and it plays and sounds pretty good for a cheap instrument. Although I'm an "occasional" bass player, I do take it seriously and get invited to jam with friends whenever a bass player is needed.

I'm considering purchasing a new bass since I'm playing more, nothing expensive, but maybe more playable than the Dean. I normally don't buy equipment without trying it out first, but the Essex basses have caught my attention. Most of the user reviews have been very positive. There are so many models and I'm looking for something versatile for mostly blues and ocassionally jazz.

So before trekking down to Steve's or L&M here in Toronto with about a $300.00 (plus whatever I sell my Dean for) budget in mind, I would appreciate some recommendations from anyone who may have experience with the Essex basses. Suggestions on other makes and models are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Lawrie

·
Registered
68 Posts
You can't go wrong with an SX bass. Many models to choose from,, price is excellent,, (for that 300 bucks, you can get a new bass AND a case including shipping)...

There is no better value out there than an SX. Customer service is bar none, and they are easy to upgrade/hot rod/mod too.

check out the mega thread at talkbass dot com as well...

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I have 2 (see sig). They were roughly $220 Canadian to my door (including taxes, shipping etc...) give or take a few bucks for the difference in exchange rate. They are quite decent basses right out of the box, but for an extra $50 or so you can purchase new pots, output jack, capacitor and a heavy duty bridge from Ted at GuitarPartsCanada.com and they become a bass as good or better than a MIM Fender.

Buy from the Rondo site, not the Ebay site.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
james on bass said:
I have 2 (see sig). They were roughly $220 Canadian to my door (including taxes, shipping etc...) give or take a few bucks for the difference in exchange rate. They are quite decent basses right out of the box, but for an extra $50 or so you can purchase new pots, output jack, capacitor and a heavy duty bridge from Ted at GuitarPartsCanada.com and they become a bass as good or better than a MIM Fender.

Buy from the Rondo site, not the Ebay site.
Thanks for the info, which brings up a couple of questions;

1) How did you arrive at the specific models you have? There are so many different models on Rondo's site and they are all priced well.

2) I have no problem spending the extra bucks on the upgrades, but were the stock electronics that bad or is it something that I could live with for while first?

Lawrie

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Fajah said:
Thanks for the info, which brings up a couple of questions;

1) How did you arrive at the specific models you have? There are so many different models on Rondo's site and they are all priced well.

2) I have no problem spending the extra bucks on the upgrades, but were the stock electronics that bad or is it something that I could live with for while first?

Lawrie
I really wanted to play fretless again, and like the jazz style bass much more than a P style. Personal preference. The P bass would thump real well for your blues type setting, wheras the jazz is a little more versatile. I like the grind of a jazz myself.

The stock electronics do work, but the cheap pots do suck some life out of the instrument. You could always wire the bass straight to the output jack if you wanted, but you'd have no volume or tone control. I did that for a while myself on the 5 string. The stock bridges are just cheap and lightweight - same as stock Fender bridges. A beefier upgrade will help the sound and give you more sustain.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
james on bass said:
I really wanted to play fretless again, and like the jazz style bass much more than a P style. Personal preference. The P bass would thump real well for your blues type setting, wheras the jazz is a little more versatile. I like the grind of a jazz myself.

The stock electronics do work, but the cheap pots do suck some life out of the instrument. You could always wire the bass straight to the output jack if you wanted, but you'd have no volume or tone control. I did that for a while myself on the 5 string. The stock bridges are just cheap and lightweight - same as stock Fender bridges. A beefier upgrade will help the sound and give you more sustain.
i think you should go on to explain why you wired them straight to the output jack..if i remember correctly, you screwed up something?:tongue:

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
james on bass said:

Good info for me to start looking closer at it.

Thanks,

Lawrie

·
Registered
68 Posts
with the jazz model I have, everything worked just fine out of the box. I had to adjust the neck and pups, but straight stock, I've been playing no problems. Upgrades can only make it better as james has said.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Xanadu said:
i think you should go on to explain why you wired them straight to the output jack..if i remember correctly, you screwed up something?:tongue:
now now.

My soldering skills were a bit rusty. I accidentally grounded out the bridge pickup, then when I realized what the problem was, I melted the mini-switch that was going to be he series/parallel mod. With a few hours before a gig, I wired it straight to the jack - actually worked out quite well. I have since wired it properly when I received the 2nd bass.

The one thing about the SX as well is that they are so cheap, I really don't mind tearing it apart and possibly hurting something. They are fun basses to tinker with if you are so inclined.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
james on bass said:
now now.

My soldering skills were a bit rusty. I accidentally grounded out the bridge pickup, then when I realized what the problem was, I melted the mini-switch that was going to be he series/parallel mod. With a few hours before a gig, I wired it straight to the jack - actually worked out quite well. I have since wired it properly when I received the 2nd bass.

The one thing about the SX as well is that they are so cheap, I really don't mind tearing it apart and possibly hurting something. They are fun basses to tinker with if you are so inclined.
lol. I dont like the look of them, but im thinking of getting a 4-string brice.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Xanadu said:
lol. I dont like the look of them, but im thinking of getting a 4-string brice.
I was never a fan of "Fender" basses either, but after 20+ years playing, it was about time I gave it a try. I've really gone back full-circle. A 4 string jazz bass is really all you need to get the job done. (Well, I still want a 7 string someday).

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
james on bass said:
I was never a fan of "Fender" basses either, but after 20+ years playing, it was about time I gave it a try. I've really gone back full-circle. A 4 string jazz bass is really all you need to get the job done. (Well, I still want a 7 string someday).
hehe yah...7 strings

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
james on bass said:
well, at least another 6 string.
i wanna try out the brice 6-strings. great price, neck-tru, they look real good.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
james on bass said:
A 4 string jazz bass is really all you need to get the job done.
That's the other decision....whether to get a 4, 5, or 6 string bass. I really like those 6 string basses, but probably because I'm predomanantly a jazz guitar player.

Lawrie

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Fajah said:
That's the other decision....whether to get a 4, 5, or 6 string bass. I really like those 6 string basses, but probably because I'm predomanantly a jazz guitar player.

Lawrie

Well, take this for what it's worth. I've been almost entirely 5 and 6 strings for the last 15 + years. I figured a 4 string was a thing of the past. I was in between basses a few months ago and borrowed a friends P bass for a few rehearsals. I was absolutely blown away. The simplicity and ease of play completely changed my mind on things. I do need a B string though. If I had my way I would've bought 2 fretless 4 stringers and strung one standard, the other BEAD, which is why I put my 5 banger up for sale.

If I could only have 1 bass though - I'd get a 5 string. Anything you cover past the mid-80's, there's a 50/50 chance you'll either have to down tune to D (which I don't like doing) or need the B string.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
i have a 6-string and it is teh roxxors.:rockon2:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
james on bass said:
so when are you going to bring that bad boy down this way and plug it into the 8x8 goodness! :tongue:
are you inviting me to bring it down there?:food-smiley-015:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Xanadu said:
are you inviting me to bring it down there?:food-smiley-015:
I can't foresee any reason why I would find myself in Ottawa so if you're in the area and have your bass with you, we might as well organize a bass tasting.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts