·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_0366.JPG
IMG_0367.JPG
IMG_0371.JPG

Yesterday's score:

ElectroVoice 7300 (300+300, 600 bridged) & Cerwin Vega SW18: $5 apiece.

Twelve (three rows of four) art deco theatre seats with no stains/damage/wear to fabric: $60

87 feet of solid wood handrail (not that finger-joined shit you get now): $30. Five pieces are over ten feet long.

Unopened tubes of movie posters four posters per tube: X-Men; Fantastic Four, Avatar, etc. $2 per tube/50cents per poster. Sixty posters total.

48" GB (Goldberg?) reel (for sale to wealthy home theatre owner). Can't find another online...

You shoulda been there Tomsy, it was just south of you in Redvers.

I let a guy have a Traynor VoiceMate3 with two columns, because he was a theatre volunteer. He told me to bid again because he was done at $115. Coulda gone $120, but felt greedy. He was a big help getting the theatre seats outa the hardwood floor and into the truck, so "what goes around... etc."

Softwood boards in the basement ceiling were approaching ten inches wide. All gonna be torn down.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice score.
You're not going to build a theatre? :D
The fantasy now is seating in the new studio. Against the wall, but dragged out for an "audience". A row of six and a row of five on planks or something...

Gotta clean up the sub and test it. I was gonna spend a few hundred building one but...

·
Premium Member
12,217 Posts
The fantasy now is seating in the new studio. Against the wall, but dragged out for an "audience". A row of six and a row of five on planks or something...

Gotta clean up the sub and test it. I was gonna spend a few hundred building one but...
Did you get some kind of control box with that sub? Was one available/laying around?

With that central position sensor (rod), it looks like a servo-controlled sub, which requires a module to receive the positional information and close the feedback loop. But it will probably work just fine without one. I wouldn't imagine they would make it extremely loose and compensate with electronics - probably just fine tuning and low frequency extension.

No matter what, it's a killer deal. I spilled 10$ worth of beer last weekend.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you get some kind of control box with that sub? Was one available/laying around?

With that central position sensor (rod), it looks like a servo-controlled sub, which requires a module to receive the positional information and close the feedback loop. But it will probably work just fine without one. I wouldn't imagine they would make it extremely loose and compensate with electronics - probably just fine tuning and low frequency extension.
Thanks HiDeaf. I have been trying to find info on the sub without much luck. Checked into the cerwin-vega-fans forum and got a couple of wow-are-you-ever-lucky, and that was it.

I need to get caught up with building projects before winter and then I will test it.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
I'm not sure what that center piece is, but it may just be part of the "stroker" technology?
Sure not used to seeing a spider in the front so it may well be.
This gives a bit of an outline of the 3 spider idea, though it looks to be a newer example (pg.6):

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure what that center piece is, but it may just be part of the "stroker" technology?
Sure not used to seeing a spider in the front so it may well be.
This gives a bit of an outline of the 3 spider idea, though it looks to be a newer example (pg.6):
Thanks JB! I opened the brochure and at first glance the centre piece would seem to perhaps work mechanically to "guide" the voice coil and possibly dissipate heat at crazy SPL's. If that is what it is. When I get inside it later this year, I will check amongst the mouse shit for any extra electronic controls as HiDeaf suggested. If none, it could be an early "stroker" design as you say. I have found out that these subs were made 1977 - 1982. Thanks guys! More interest here than at the Cerwin-Vega forum.

·
Premium Member
12,217 Posts
Thanks JB! I opened the brochure and at first glance the centre piece would seem to perhaps work mechanically to "guide" the voice coil and possibly dissipate heat at crazy SPL's. If that is what it is. When I get inside it later this year, I will check amongst the mouse shit for any extra electronic controls as HiDeaf suggested. If none, it could be an early "stroker" design as you say. I have found out that these subs were made 1977 - 1982. Thanks guys! More interest here than at the Cerwin-Vega forum.
I wouldn't expect any controls or electronics inside the speaker box, but if that rod is connected to second coil that is wired out separately from the actual speaker wires, that could be the motion sensor that would feed an external processor or dedicated amp with a servo input.

What is a 'servo' subwoofer

Reactions: jb welder

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again HiDeaf. Lots of research linked to that page. Even those audiophile geeks can't agree. Lol.

Two initial thoughts which I will check later:

1. It don't matter. The sub will work well without servo implementation
2. The sub is too old for servo in a vented box. Sealed box only back then. (???)

Too much to do before winter hits. Will check it out later...

Thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
@KapnKrunch That is my hometown actually! Grew up on a farm 2 miles north I didn't know they were having an auction of all the old movie theater stuff. Was the auction at the "Arts Centre"??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts