The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,831 Posts
If it isnt the backline for Sleep, does it matter? That rig actually gets used ;)

·
Registered
24,379 Posts
A recently deceased teaching buddy used to do pickup gigs doing the load-out for concerts in Ottawa. he told me that he did a load-out for Kiss, and was surprised to find that there were really only a couple of their speaker cabs that were actually loaded with speakers. Those ones were mic'd and the rest were empty and there just for show.

There was an article in Vintage Guitar last year, I think, about a gimmick amp that either Randall or Standell had built as a promotional thing for a small-time band to play on a parade float. As I recall, it may not have been bigger than that Crate amp, but was certainly in the ballpark, if it wasn't bigger.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
was surprised to find that there were really only a couple of their speaker cabs that were actually loaded with speakers. Those ones were mic'd and the rest were empty and there just for show.
I think that's pretty common. The "wall of Marshalls" is just for show. Chances are very good that there's only one a single amp and cab actually working for each guitar player.

I watched an interview with Angus Young's amp tech recently and was surprised to learn just how many live amps and cabs he runs during an AC/DC show.

If I remember right, he had ten or eleven 100W Marshall heads driving roughly twice that many cabinets spread across both sides of the stage. Basically, every cabinet you see in their stage setup is real and live.

The same guy had worked for other bands and mentioned that this was very unusual.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts