The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Who Plot Symphonic U.S. Arena Tour, New Studio Album for 2019

Hall of Famers will team up with local symphonies for new tour kicking off in Michigan in May

When Pete Townshend’s management team came to him with a lucrative offer from Live Nation to
spend much of 2019 on the road with the Who, he said he’d only agree to it under a single condition.
“I said I was not going to sign any contracts unless we have new material,” says Townshend. “This has
nothing to do with wanting a hit album. It has nothing to do with the fact that the Who need a new
album. It’s purely personal. It’s about my pride, my sense of self-worth and self-dignity as a writer.”

The new album – which will be their first release since 2006’s Endless Wire – exists now only as 15
painstakingly constructed demos that Townshend crafted last year at five studios around England, but
he hopes Roger Daltrey will record vocals later this year for a 2019 release. In the meantime, however,
they are gearing up for a 29-date North American tour where a local symphony orchestra will join the
band nightly. Daltrey got the idea after spending the summer of 2018 playing Tommy with symphonies
and loving the experience. “I’ll be 75 years old in March and this feels like a dignified way to go and do
music,” he says. “That’s all we’re really left with. We’re old men now. We’ve lost the looks. We’ve lost the
glamour. What we’re left with is the music and we’re going to present it in a way which is as fresh and
powerful as ever.”

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
yeah they'd better have all those rockets, explosions, and mortars with the symphony, or I will be sorely disappointed

·
Premium Member
16,555 Posts
Farewell tour again next year?

Maybe they should call it the See ya later tour, LOL.

Talk about crying wolf.

I do like some Who tunes.

·
Registered
9,368 Posts
I have been debating whether or not to go and see The Who or Kiss! I have finally opted to go see Kiss. I mean I like some Who songs but I think Kiss will be a better show.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts