The Untold Stories of Paul McCartney

has an interview with Sir Paul. The interviewer wanted to get Paul to tell
some stories that he'd never told before, and this one is very, shall we say,
"interesting". Here's what Paul said:

"I was over at John's house, and it was just a group of us. And instead of
just getting roaring drunk and partying—I don't even know if we were staying
over or anything—we were all just in these chairs, and the lights were out,
and somebody started masturbating, so we all did."

This may have been the inspiration behind the song "Come Together". ;)

#6 ·
That's a story that just should have stayed buried.

On a side note I stopped in the local pawnshop at lunch and bought "Memory Almost Full" and "New" for $2.99 each. Still on the hunt for another copy of "Flowers in the Dirt", one of my fave newer recordings of his. Ex-wife got the vinyl in the divorce :(

#12 ·
I've been reading that his new album "Egypt Station" is going to be entering the Billboard chart Top 200 at number one tomorrow. It'll be his first number one album on the Billboard charts since his Tug Of War album back in 1982. I've got the new album and it's quite good.

#14 ·
Despite his massive success and popularity for over 5 decades, I will never forgive him for 'Silly Love Songs'. I'd rather listen to nails on chalkboard
There's worse (like Someone's Knocking on the Door). Out of approximately 530 songs there's bound to be a few clunkers. Silly Love Songs is infectious and has a great bass line. I would love to live off the royalties of that one song alone.

"The US single was released on 1 April 1976[6] and spent five non-consecutive weeks at number 1 on the Billboard Hot 100.[7][8] "Silly Love Songs" was the number 1 pop song in Billboard's Year-End Charts of 1976. It was also the group's second of three number ones on the Easy Listening chart.[9] The single was certified Gold by the Recording Industry Association of America for sales of over one million copies.[10]Billboard listed "Silly Love Songs" as Paul McCartney's all-time biggest Hot 100 single.[11] In 2008, the song was listed at No. 31 on Billboard's Greatest Songs of All Time, commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Billboard Hot 100 chart.[2] The UK single was released on 30 April 1976[6] and reached number 2 on the UK Singles Chart.[12][13]

The song was McCartney's 27th number one as a songwriter, the all-time record for most number one hits by a songwriter. (see List of Billboard Hot 100 chart achievements and milestones) With this song, McCartney became the first person to have a year-end No. 1 song as a member of two distinct acts. He previously hit No. 1 in the year-end Billboard chart with "I Want to Hold Your Hand" in 1964 and "Hey Jude" in 1968.[14][15]"

#18 ·
I will admit that I have never been much of a fan of pop music compared to the average person. When Beatles came out with band like the Dave Clark Five and Gerry & The Pacemakers, etc. it was only a short before I was jumping to Rolling Stones, then the Yardbirds, the Butterfield Blues Band all by 1966. By 1968-69, It was Zappa and the Mothers, King Crimson, Emerson Lake and Palmer at one end, and blues artists like Johnny Winter and Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf and John Mayall at the other. 69-70, Zeppelin, Santana and, a bit late Jimi and Cream. By 1973, Mahavishnu Orchestra and so on. At that point, I couldn't care less about vocals and lyrics. The human voice was just another musical instrument to me. I couldn't care less about music people could dance to. I played Zappa Live at the Roxy to death.

There was an R&B and Funk diversion for 67-68. Instrumentals like Green Onion, Read Beans and Rice, Soul Finger were among my favourites. There was no better groove artist like James Brown, especially with extended versions of his music from 6 to 15 minutes (again lyrics unimportant) . Motown hasn't weathered as well over the years for me.

Though I never lost interest the Beatles, simply because they evolved. After they broke up and went solo, McCartney devolved straight into sugar coated mainstream pop, IMO. Objectively as a performer, musician and songwriter, he is great. Just not to my taste - like trying to acquire a taste to Jagermeister - not going to happen.

#23 ·
I will admit that I have never been much of a fan of pop music compared to the average person. When Beatles came out with band like the Dave Clark Five and Gerry & The Pacemakers, etc. it was only a short before I was jumping to Rolling Stones, then the Yardbirds, the Butterfield Blues Band all by 1966. By 1968-69, It was Zappa and the Mothers, King Crimson, Emerson Lake and Palmer at one end, and blues artists like Johnny Winter and Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf and John Mayall at the other. 69-70, Zeppelin, Santana and, a bit late Jimi and Cream. By 1973, Mahavishnu Orchestra and so on. At that point, I couldn't care less about vocals and lyrics. The human voice was just another musical instrument to me. I couldn't care less about music people could dance to. I played Zappa Live at the Roxy to death.

There was an R&B and Funk diversion for 67-68. Instrumentals like Green Onion, Read Beans and Rice, Soul Finger were among my favourites. There was no better groove artist like James Brown, especially with extended versions of his music from 6 to 15 minutes (again lyrics unimportant) . Motown hasn't weathered as well over the years for me.

Though I never lost interest the Beatles, simply because they evolved. After they broke up and went solo, McCartney devolved straight into sugar coated mainstream pop, IMO. Objectively as a performer, musician and songwriter, he is great. Just not to my taste - like trying to acquire a taste to Jagermeister - not going to happen.
Fair enough. For me there's always been room for them all (almost) from Elvis to Freddie and the Dreamers, the Monkees, Strawbs, Country Joe, Arlo, etc. I can also accept that Chuck Berry's only #1 hit was "My Ding-a-ling".

It's all good!

#19 ·
I've been reading that his new album "Egypt Station" is going to be entering the Billboard chart Top 200 at number one tomorrow. It'll be his first number one album on the Billboard charts since his Tug Of War album back in 1982. I've got the new album and it's quite good.
Now we know where the inspiration for Tug of War came from ;)

#28 ·
I'm with you on With A Little Luck and I'd also add Ebony And Ivory to the list. I like the message of the song but it was one of those songs that became overplayed and it wouldn't matter to me if I never heard it again. I'd also add the first Wings album, Wild Life, to that list. The only half decent song on that album was one called Tomorrow. There are a few others as well that I don't care for.

BTW, Sir Pauls new album Egypt Station debuted at the number one position on the Billboard 200 chart. Here's the link:

Top 200 Albums | Billboard 200 chart

Not bad for a 76 year old, huh? :)

#22 ·
from 7th grade to 9th grade the first time, i was forced to take a class on the beatles. it was the exact same class all 3 times. it is the reason i can't stand beatles music to this very day. i am no longer able to make objective judgments on any of it. when i was a just a boy in the late 60's/early 70's i loved them. i was 5 when i told my bros & sisters that i didn't care if they beat me up for playing their records. i HAD to hear that music. now i just cant stand to hear any of it anymore.

#32 ·
I don't care most of McCartney's LPs after Band On the Run, which I enjoyed. There were a few songs here and there that I really liked. Usually, it was because of the bass line. The lyrics? Nah. When I started playing bass, "Silly Love Songs" was one of the McCartney songs that I played along often. The bass line is fun to play.

The first time I heard "Mull of Kintyre" on the radio, it was just meh to me. After that, it was "oh puuuleeeease" every time. That one and "Ebony & Ivory" (syrupy turd, typical McCartney) are on my no-play list. In fact, when I ripped by Paul McCartney greatest hits CD to my computer, I left those 2 songs and a few others out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.