1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
635 Posts
That's cool if you have the money, I guess. It's pretty amazing how perfectly aged the fake looks.

On a different note- why in the world do some people put the strings over top the tailpiece on Les Pauls? That's just about the dumbest thing I've ever seen. It sure as heck isn't gonna help with your "tone". In fact, it might even be hurting it.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
regarding topwrapping:

I do it on both my Les Pauls, it allows you to drop the tailpiece and still maintain an optimum string break angle over the bridge. TP height and break angle can affect tone and sustain.

The angle should be roughly equivalent to the angle across the nut, in theory anyway.

Here's a pic of why I started doing it, on my '74 Custom:

·
Registered
635 Posts
dwagar said:
The angle should be roughly equivalent to the angle across the nut, in theory anyway.
I'll agree with the theory part. Sounds pretty voodoo-esque to me. Sometimes I think that if enough people said that taking a dump right on your guitar would help their tone, there are others gullible enough to start dropping trou. :tongue:

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
That's a look I've always wanted for my R6 and R9;they just don't have the character that my hummingbird does.Too bad about the price,though.If I figure out how to shit $1000 bills,I'll be able to get both guitars done.:eek:

P.S.:I don't think top-wrapping a Les Paul tailpiece will hurt your tone.A guy I heard of one time named Billy Gibbons does it on his clunky lookin' 'ol Les Paul,and his tone ain't half bad!

Scott

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
re topwrapping:
well, it costs you nothing to try it.

It seems to work better on guitars with higher angles. I certainly wouldn't recommend it for all Les Pauls. I would recommend testing different TP heights though, they are adjustable for a reason.

... and Duane's tone wasn't too bad either, was it?

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Good point

I actually run into the same clearance issue w/my R9 that you're having with your Custom.Try to drop that tailpiece right down and the strings get into the cast part @ the backside of the bridge.:mad:

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and that sharp an angle will eventually collapse the bridge. It can be bent back into shape though.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
By collapse you mean push it over towards the pickup?Yikes,the thought of that much strain on the guitar makes me feel a little queasy.I've never seen a model of guitar so vastly different from one to the next as the Les Paul.Seems like every one I pick up more than a little different.

Scott

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no, by collapse I mean it pushes down towards the body, so your saddles are no longer on the same radius (curve) as the neck is. This causes the center strings to sit slightly closer to the neck than the outer strings.

·
Registered
233 Posts
nine said:
why in the world do some people put the strings over top the tailpiece on Les Pauls?
Actually I tried this the other day on my Love Rock and I like feel it gives the guitar, the strings are more "slinky", you can really get your vibrato grove on.

As far as paying someone to "old up" your brand new expensive guitar....no thanks.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I prefer to age mine naturally and have people pay me to do it.:D

Whether or not you should top wrap depends on the neck angle and amount of relief, your preferred action(bridge height), and top carve. The top carve varies on a lot of guitars and so bridge and tailpeice height must vary to get the right break angle over the bridge. Some do it for tone, and some for tension as it affects both. I'd say Dwagar almost has no choice but to top wrap from looking at those pics. I don't top wrap but my tailpeice is on the high side.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
JSD's Guitar Shack said:
Actually I tried this the other day on my Love Rock and I like feel it gives the guitar, the strings are more "slinky", you can really get your vibrato grove on.
I agree on the feel it gives and personally I think it improves the sustain too. I've always done it with my guitars that have that type of bridge setup. An old fella showed it to me when I got my first electric. I've noticed lots of players stringing this way over the years.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
The relicing thing is an interesting phenomenon. Check into the Les Paul Forum if you really want to see it being debated.

Top-wrapping, as mentioned, is really advantageous when you have a guitar with an exceedingly steep neck angle, the top-wrap really takes the tension off the bridge. That said, the reason I tried it for the first time was because while watching the Zeppelin DVD from a few years back I noticed Jimmy Page had his top-wrapped in the Albert Hall footage.

Being a lifelong mimic, I'll be commissioning a bell bottom dragon suit shortly. :smile:

Jim

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm actually more interested in the truss rod and brazilian board change than the relicing.
I figure one of these days I'll walk in from the cold and get my own checking.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
dwagar said:
I'm actually more interested in the truss rod and brazilian board change than the relicing.
I figure one of these days I'll walk in from the cold and get my own checking.
I've often wondered about removing the truss rod sleeve. I don't know if I would change the fretboard.

My 01' R8 is well on it way to being reliced. Damn beer!! My R4 is another thing she's pretty tight still and could use some opening up.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Still numb, but I begin to see the point of this. These relicers (sorry, I keep reading it as re-licing, like: "my guitars got rid of their fleas, so I had them re-liced") are filling in the time gap for those not willing to actually let their guitar become an antique at the same rate as they do. You know, arthritic fingers/checked nitro kinda thing.

But changing the truss rod? Who the heck is going to notice? Or care for that matter? Wouldn't one made of possibly better alloy be more effective? And does this somehow make the instrument more genuine in some way? Sounds suspiciously like counterfeiting. Like used to happen with Stradivarius violins. True, we'd all like to goo (sorry, Nine, there I goo, Drool er, go, again) over a funky old '54 that actually is as old as [I am]. But if I actually owned a '54 long enough to have it age like me.......sheesh.

I'm sorry. At the risk of becoming some kind of leperous pariah, this re-licing (a search found 'relicking')(no, no, NO!!!) is merely fluff aimed at the posing masses. Expensive air guitar. Astoundingly devoid of substance. I couldn't afford the [albeit inflated] price of an actual antique, so I'll pretend to have one. I thought it was about the musical value???

:mad:

Soon there will be retro clinics for young people to go get some wrinkles, a few creaky joints, and maybe an artificial case of stenosing tenosynovitis for good measure....and that authentically irritable countenance born of trying to squeeze that fancy lick from sore fingers. Of course, issued with a certificate of authenticity. Kinda like party favors for glitterati wannabes.

"There! Bob looks as worn as his guitar, now!....Kewl!"

:oops:

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
well, some guys DO like the look of relicing. I think some of them look cool, but I don't think I'd get one of mine done. I seem to relic them myself fast enough as it is.

Sure relicing is about looks. Why do guys buy flametop Les Pauls at a much higher price than plaintops? For that matter, why don't Strats just come in one color? How about white. If you want a SUNBURST Strat, you must be some kind of air guitar poser. Is that right?
If someone WANTS the look of a relic, who's to say they shouldn't have one?

As for removing the rubber tube off the truss rod, putting in a truss rod that is solid on the end, and installing a brazilian fretboard aren't about looks, they are, in theory, about tone. That stuff I think is worthwhile. But that's just me.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts