The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent my high school years in the burbs around Ottawa but beat a quick retreat to Toronto for Uni and it's going on 11 years now. Married, kid on the way. We decided it's time to move back to The Valley so our little guy can grow up around his cousins and grandparents (and we can mooch some free babysitting).

I've gotten pretty comfortable in my musical world here in Toronto. The friends, the clubs, the crowds, the rehearsal spots, the studios. Anyone in the Ottawa region want to help me get re-acquainted with our great nation's capital?

For example: what's the Ottawa equivalent of Cherry Beach Rehearsal? Good rates, no smoking, great hours and friendly staff?

What's left for music stores in Ottawa? Is Steve's still on Rideau? I bought my first Marshall there. What about Lauzon? I know Songbird is still alive and kicking. Any other gems in the area? Something akin to The Fret in Toronto?

I think the hardest part about leaving Toronto is leaving behind all the friends I jam with. It's been a slow process to build that group you trust to make free music with on a regular basis. How's the open jam scene in Ottawa?

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
You have my condolences. :wink:

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have my condolences. :wink:
I alternate from completely freaked out to be moving back to Ottawa to very excited. I was (just) 19 when I left so I haven't really lived in Ottawa as an adult (or out of my parents house for that matter). I don't think it's going to be the same. But I'll have to make an effort to make it my city and not the city it was when I was a teenager.

I will miss the lake so very much. Evening strolls on the boardwalk have become a sanity saving activity for me.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
you've got steves still on rideau, songbird, retrotown, lauzon (lauzon is like right across from retrotown). Fleet, in Bells Corners has a great prices on the stuff they carry. L&M is out on altavista and bank (i think...) The staff at the Ottawa store are more friendly than the Toronto stores IMO.
and I dont know what Cherry Beach Rehearsal is so I dont know what the equivalent would be.

Ottawa has an ok club scene.. Theres a few places with live music in the market.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Steve's Music rocks... love the people in there, prices aren't too bad either. Songbird is great for used shit, depending where you live in Ottawa you could scoot on down to Kemptville and check out Class Axe for some used shit too... great guys in there as well.

No bands I like 'round this area though, atleast metal / rock genre. Pretty much every metal band I've heard are screamo shit, which makes me cry a little, hah can't wait for that trend to pass. Finding good vocalists is tough... good drummers are even harder to find... you'll find out soon enough, lol.

You're a nut for leaving Toronto! :tongue:

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Ottawa rulez. I lived in Toronto for a bit during some courses at Ryerson and York, and it was like night and day. Ottawa is very clean, there are tons of wide open areas, the people are somewhat normal. When I was in Toronto, people would litter all the time, they are packed into the city like sardines, and it seemed like every second person was either homeless or a bum. The people reminded me of Americans. When I would walk down some streets, they smelled like urine, and there were bars on the windows, armed guards everywhere, guard dogs. Jane and Finch was a total riot, and Carabana was just an open mass drug mart. Its not as bad as Buffalo, but it seems like Toronto is getting to be like America. I went to Toronto in 1977, and it was just like Ottawa is today, so maybe in 30 years Ottawa will be a dump. There were some nice areas in Toronto, but it seemed like the city has changed so much and no one has even noticed. Maybe you guys in Toronto ignore the bad areas, and ignore the crime. I think Americans do that too. Too bad, like Buffalo they have a great hockey organization. Before my stay in Toronto, I didnt like Ottawa that much, as it lacks alot of the greatness of the fine European cities, but after Toronto, Ottawa rulez. Sorry guys but you need to clean up that place, because the rest of Canada is totally different from your huge metro............

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I lived in both cities.

Retrotown music has some cool items, and Lauzon orders in some very cool gear.

Is real estate much cheaper in Ottawa vs. Toronto?

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
The average house in Ottawa is about $250,000. Its been going up, but its still cheap enough to allow a high standard of living. Toronto is much higher on average.............

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is real estate much cheaper in Ottawa vs. Toronto?
Coming from Toronto the housing market in Ottawa is a dream market. We're picking up a short term rental in Kanata while we search for a house. By moving we've gone from looking for a 2 bdrm fixer-upper in The Beaches to a 3+ bdrm, 2 car garage, big backyard home pretty much anywhere we want in the greater Ottawa area.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Coming from Toronto the housing market in Ottawa is a dream market. We're picking up a short term rental in Kanata while we search for a house. By moving we've gone from looking for a 2 bdrm fixer-upper in The Beaches to a 3+ bdrm, 2 car garage, big backyard home pretty much anywhere we want in the greater Ottawa area.
Ah Kanata - my home town. You're from Ottawa originally, so you already know there is nothing going on in Kanata. Good place to bring up kids, but thats about it:frown:
Once the Sens season is over (which, unfortunately looks to be sooner, rather than later) at Scotia Bank place, Kanata will go back to sleep.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Hope everything goes well with your re-locate.
sucks to not be able to settle right away.
you'l have to make sure your gear is accessable.
cheers and good luck
RIFF WRATH

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah Kanata - my home town. You're from Ottawa originally, so you already know there is nothing going on in Kanata. Good place to bring up kids, but thats about it:frown:
No kidding. I lived in Stittsville but went to high school at Trinity. That's where I met my wife actually.
Once the Sens season is over (which, unfortunately looks to be sooner, rather than later) at Scotia Bank place, Kanata will go back to sleep.
Sleepy is being nice. Comatose is more like it. I'm thinking Westboro (sp?) is the right area for us.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Sorry guys but you need to clean up that place, because the rest of Canada is totally different from your huge metro............
I wouldn't say the rest of Canada... I hear downtown Vancouver can be pretty bad too. Alot of Asian gang violence.

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
No kidding. I lived in Stittsville but went to high school at Trinity. That's where I met my wife actually.

Sleepy is being nice. Comatose is more like it. I'm thinking Westboro (sp?) is the right area for us.

Westboro is nice. We used to live on Clearview ave.(near island park dr., near Lauzons) It was pretty cheap a few years ago, now its trendy and the prices and traffic have gone through the roof. We moved to Alta Vista a few years ago, it was safer for kids, quieter and less traffic. A house in Westboro will run you 350-400K (minimum) and up depending on what you want. Alta Vista is similar.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts