The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got one last year, but never really used it. I began using it today on the acoustic. I decided to start simple. Down strokes only, moving from the low E string to the high E string and back. When going back down, I got it got caught on a string a couple times, on the part that hooks around the thumb. I'd like to get comfortable with down strokes before I go on to alternating up and down strokes. Once (if) I get comfortable with that, I will add a finger pick. That's way I have to do it, incremental.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I can't get the hang of the thumb picks either. It made so much sense when I bought ssome (Hercos): get defined bass notes and use it as a regular pick for the parts that need it. Then it all went to shit when I tried to use 'em. But I'm impatient; maybe some time will get you there.

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can already use fingers and thumb better (somewhat), but I wanted to give myself a challenge and a little discipline exercise.

·
Registered
9,289 Posts
Nah! Tried those thumb picks! Hated them! I just can't or don't want to get the hang of them!

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
I bought one years ago--and try it every now & then--but not really my thing at all.
But to those who use them--hey--cool.

·
Premium Member
10,868 Posts
I use a thumbpick for fingerstyle guitar, but no picks on my fingers. I dislike flatpicking with one.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I've just recently started to use one because my thumb nail started to separate. I'm having a hard time with it and it's a drag because I was really getting into finger picking.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I was having a hard time with mine. I think the main issue was that it is sticking out way too far compared to my pick when I play pick+fingers for instance.

I've sanded it waaaaaay down, so that now it's only sticking out by a couple mm, and it's much better.

Also, it takes some time to find a thumb pick that's the perfect fit for your thumb. You want it to be nice and snug, but you don't want to have your thumb completely squished by it either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts