The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Short story long, my dad & I "created" a Tele some 20 years ago and it was my #1 for over a decade before being displaced by my SG. For the last 5 years though, it sat completely unused and was eventually disassembled due to wiring and playability issues. Fast forward to COVID-related boredom and several months back I ordered a new wiring harness and some pickguards to replace the questionable pieces I had used previously.

Well, finally yesterday, I decided to go at the wiring and yanked the hodge-podge out of there (not the pickups though, they're still golden) and installed the new assembly. Then earlier today, I installed the neck p/u and new guard, soldered everything up, reattached the neck, and strung it up. Well, I'm not gonna lie, the initial results were underwhelming as the action was high and, at the same time, I was getting fret buzz. I didn't even bother plugging it in and instead pulled the neck to see what was what. In doing so, I discovered that the neck shim used in the guitar's original assembly had slipped inside the body at some point (years ago?) and thus hadn't been providing the proper neck angle. No wonder the action sucked and led me to put the guitar away in the first place. Anyway, after putting the shim back in place, reattaching the neck, and tuning it up, I knew from the first strum that things were right again. The action is nice & low now and it plays KILLER. I plugged it in and BAM that sonic magic was there, without any of the ground hum that plagued the guitar previously. The end result: My Tele's BACK baby!!!

Finally, though I had fully intended to reshape the pickguard to expose the entire f-hole, I'm not so sure about that now and actually like the look. Adds to the "outlaw" vibe...ha ha! Anyway it feels just like having a new guitar again and, as we all know, that's a tough feeling to beat. 馃檪

Premium Member
Very nice looking Tele.

What are those four abalone(?) dots on the back next to the ferrules?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What are those four abalone(?) dots on the back next to the ferrules?
Basically...mistakes. The drill press was set incorrectly for the bridge mount screws- forgetting that an additional 1/2" had been planed off the body - and it went through the entire body 馃槼 It was my dad's idea to put abalone dots in the extra holes. Adds to the mystery of the history. 馃檪

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The tooled leather look on the bridge, control plate and neck p/u is stunning.
You don't see many (any?) around like that as I'm certain they're not to everyone's liking. Anyway, it's a set from El Dorado Guitar Accessories, the same folks who make the tooled leather straps (which I also have for my Tele).

Registered
You don't see many (any?) around like that as I'm certain they're not to everyone's liking. Anyway, it's a set from El Dorado Guitar Accessories, the same folks who make the tooled leather straps (which I also have for my Tele).
Must have a picture missing, I don't see a strap ;)

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the kind comments folks. I'll be sure to pass them on to my dad, who I'm sure will appreciate them as much as I do. 馃檪

1 - 15 of 15 Posts