The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Its interesting, a decent idea. But its kind of ugly and I prefer home made nut sauce which works just fine. I also re-cut most of my nuts, so I suppose this is good for people not comfortable doing that themselves.

·
Registered
12,776 Posts
What Bubb said.

I've touched up more than one 3 + 3 nuts with some abrasive cord, then used some nut sauce.
After that, they'va all played well and stayed stable.

If you look at how the string pull is now straight off the nut with that contraption,
I think that you'd be further in the woods with issues without changing the whole nut anyway.

I've seen it before in other forums and it just seems like a gimmick to me.

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I use nut sauce as well, probably because of a number of well heeled (I do not use this phrase in the traditional way, to me it means a "nod to experience") posters in this forum. Since using it I've found there is less give on certain strings, which is nice. We're more live types of players for the most part though. I wonder if it's ever so slightly different to a guy like Tim Pierce.

@greco what??? You never used a pair of Vice Grips on a guitar? I have. I think they did it that way to reference how easy it's supposed to be to put it on. I got a laugh out of it too.

·
Premium Member
6,356 Posts
I think straightening the string pull is a good idea, but is it really that hard to go grab a wrench?

Why even risk damaging your $2K+ Les paul with vise grips?

G

·
Nut braking is an issue with tremolos. I use the Stetsbar tremolos on mine, and they are pretty good, but the nut still binds with nut sauce. I know this because I can pull up on the trem and the guitar goes back in tune. I may try one...

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
i use nut sauce right now, which i make myself from vaseline and powdered graphite from a pencil point. eventually, i will find a roller nut for my lp and then i'll install locking tuners. no more problems then for sure. i haven't looked that hard, because nut sauce works for now, and i've been busy doing other stuff. but that's been the plan since i bought it in 2014.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Expensive guitars rule!!! Screw this shit....
Funny you mention that....my buddy, the most Anal retentive person in the world, paid 5k for a fancy Canadian weird red Les Paul. The nut is poorly cut, but he won't let me touch it. He was appalled, nay, horrified, by the fact I wanted to smear vaseline and pencil lead on his 5k guitar.

Let alone the absolutely ridiculous idea of me actually taking a tool to it!! ( I have a good set of nut files and could fix it in about 5 minutes)
Its so bad, its almost unplayable. It has that distinctive little *ping* on three of the strings when you try to tune it.

·
Registered
15,763 Posts
It's an interesting idea if it solves a problem for you.
I like to check out these gadgets & accessories & see what they do--but it doesn't mean I'd buy all of them--most I don't.

I have never noticed an issue with tuning stability that is shown here--so maybe I bend differently or do something else differently--maybe it's my gear?
Some combination?

so it's a solution to a problem I've never noticed--but if it solves a problem you have--then cool.

·
Premium Member
11,687 Posts
Sometimes I think I'm the only guy on the planet that doesn't need secret tuning juice to make my guitars function. Sure, once in a very rare while a little pencil lead has been applied, but it's no match for a clean, dust-free guitar and a set of files. Just lucky I guess. Mind, my only vibrato is a Bigsby so it's not like I'm grinding the heck out of parts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts