The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so what did you think?

I think it was one of the easier to follow movies in the franchise, although there were fewer recognizable characters.
The feminist SJW robot was a funny twist.
I liked the origin story including how chewbacca came to be part of it.

And the twicst /revelationat the end , Including the surprise appearance by one of my favourite villains was well played.

Overall, I think Disney is doing a fantastic job with these movies, with far fewer stupid plot holes than Lucas’movies, and surprisingly fewer silly childish characters (jarjar, ewoks etc) esp because it’s Disney.

But the frequency of these movies could make them tiresome. They aren’t making us hungry for the next one as much if they’re going to release them every 6mths. Although with the reset of Hollywood doing nothing new or exciting, I’ll still go to these.

·
Registered
10,058 Posts
I could never get into the Star Wars thing.

I remember my aunt and uncle taking me to see Return of the Jedi when it first came out...the first time around.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Entertaining yet forgettable. Needed to be darker and without Emilia Clarke.

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
I enjoyed it. It was certainly better than any of the three original prequels and worse that any of the three original movies. I found the fem-bot a bit annoying, though nowhere near Jar-Jar Binks annoying - and she was a cool twist - just over-done. The back story was kind of fun.

Certainly worth my 10 bucks.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Yes, entertaining....forgettable. Funny, I thought Clarke made it.
All this talk about Lando’s casting....meh.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I enjoyed it but was even more excited to have my 12-year old daughter interested in seeing it. It's not always easy to relate to my oldest daughter so if she's showing some interest in something I'm interested in then I'm all over it!

·
Premium Member
9,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could never get into the Star Wars thing.

I remember my aunt and uncle taking me to see Return of the Jedi when it first came out...the first time around.
I know but its hard to compete with riveting topics about folgers and cat poo.

Reactions: vadsy

·
Premium Member
9,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you didn't like the actress or the love story?

"darker" is a tough balancing act as kids (and merch) are a big part of their focus.

·
Premium Member
9,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, entertaining....forgettable. Funny, I thought Clarke made it.
All this talk about Lando’s casting....meh.
he did the voice well...much like I thought Ewan Mcgregor did obi wans voice well in the prequels. right now, Donald Glover is the "it" guy in Hollywood, so anything he does will get hyped.
The Lando was a bit of a miss for me...maybe theres going to be more development to that story, but I didn't feel the buddy element we got in the original trilogy.

·
Registered
11,236 Posts
The Lando was a bit of a miss for me...maybe theres going to be more development to that story, but I didn't feel the buddy element we got in the original trilogy.
The whole movie was a bit of a miss according to Disney. Just yesterday they said that thankfully to The Incredibles 2 having a good opening they are back on track after a little hiccup with Solo.
I’m still looking forward to seeing it with my kids.

·
Premium Member
9,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The whole movie was a bit of a miss according to Disney. Just yesterday they said that thankfully to The Incredibles 2 having a good opening they are back on track after a little hiccup with Solo.
I’m still looking forward to seeing it with my kids.
I think it was a bit too soon after the other SW movies...and theyre competing with themselves by flooding the market with Avengers, Deadpool and other superhero movies all in close proximity to each other.
But it was a bit more of a conventional movie...it seemed geared to average movie goers, not sci-fi nerds. the plot was pretty simple.

·
Premium Member
13,025 Posts
I found the movie very enjoyable and that is all that matters to me.

Reactions: Budda and Diablo

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
you didn't like the actress or the love story?

"darker" is a tough balancing act as kids (and merch) are a big part of their focus.
The love story. It just got in the way. Similar to Top Gun. Not every movie needs a love story. For darkness, Kids need to shit their pants occasionally. That’s what builds fan boys that keep buying the merch for the rest of their lives.
Otherwise you have the current problem. A forgettable movie in a fading franchise. I thought Disney was the right producer to turn this around. I was wrong.

Go see Deadpool 2. It was much better.

·
Premium Member
11,859 Posts
The love story. It just got in the way. Similar to Top Gun. Not every movie needs a love story. For darkness, Kids need to shit their pants occasionally. That’s what builds fan boys that keep buying the merch for the rest of their lives.
Otherwise you have the current problem. A forgettable movie in a fading franchise. I thought Disney was the right producer to turn this around. I was wrong.

Go see Deadpool 2. It was much better.
+1 on the love story thing. Movies try to be everything to everyone now, hitting all the target demographics. I watched Midway a couple of weeks ago, and I don't think there were any females in the movie. Same with Hunt For Red October, if I recall. So it can be done.

I haven't seen DP2 yet. DP1 was one of my fave movies in the last decade. Just the right mix of action and humour (and I don't live near or use the viaduct, so no downside for me).

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Okay looks like I am the outsider thought the movie made no sense it didn't develop any of the characters and if we didn't already know about some things you would have gotten lost at times seems to me it wasn't very well received either by Star War fans poor return on investment.
as for the so called love story well chewie and hans did hold hands for a while the Incredibles 2 was a ton better

1 - 19 of 19 Posts