The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking...if you were going to narrow it down as far as possible, to cover the most ground, being able to reliably play the most diverse range of guitar music. i think maybe 6.
  1. les paul
  2. strat
  3. 335
  4. 6 string acoustic
  5. 12 string acoustic
what do you think? is it more than 6? less? do you think the list should have different guitars in it than the one i made above?

·
Premium Member
10,925 Posts
Humbucker electric, either solid or semi-hollow. Maybe 335-ish.
Singlecoil electric, either solid or semi-hollow. Maybe Strat-ish.
6 string acoustic
12 string acoustic
Nylon, either classical or crossover.
Resonator (wood or steel body, maybe square neck)

Also for consideration, 6 string guitar-banjo, lap style (either acoustic like a Weissenborn or resonator, or electric like Fender), and baritone,

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
Hmmm....

To me, the Les Paul and 335 being double HB guitars means there's a lot of overlap. You're also omitting nylon strings from your palette. You also state six guitars, then list only five.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,101 Posts
ES355
Nashville Telecaster
D10 Pedal Steel
6 String Acoustic
Dobro
12 String Acoustic

That about covers all the music I want to hear.
Pedal steel doesn't count! Pick again!

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,101 Posts
Reactions: jdto

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
SG doesnt have to be gibson
Japanese Goldfoil pickup guitar
Strat
Tele
Mustang
Huge Jazz box guitar/or 335 hollowbody

·
Registered
24,336 Posts
I saw Luke Doucet play a set on Sunday, using only Gretsch guitars; principally his White Falcon, but a few others, including a Billy Bo. Everything on Cheezy's initial list is valid, but ain't a single one of them can do or sound like what those Gretsches do. So somewhere on the list has to be some sort of larger hollow-body Filtertron-equipped machine. I'm not fussy about brand, but if you omit all those things that such a guitar has done, will continue to do, and is the only one that CAN do such things in rock, you've left a really big hole.

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
i was thinking...if you were going to narrow it down as far as possible, to cover the most ground, being able to reliably play the most diverse range of guitar music. i think maybe 6.
  1. les paul
  2. strat
  3. 335
  4. 6 string acoustic
  5. 12 string acoustic
what do you think? is it more than 6? less? do you think the list should have different guitars in it than the one i made above?
Seeing I have all of those I have to agree. For a sixth I have a bass. Oh, and a mandolin but I guess technically that’s not a guitar.

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
I would have trouble getting the number down to a dozen now that I have experienced so many.

I had a twenty plus year period where I was convinced that the six I owned, were all that I would ever need or want.

I will never want a 12 string again. Basically, I am surprised at which guitars have become the necessary evils. It is the ones that seem to have a mojo that when in my hands, just about play themselves.

I can’t just pick a few genre, or configurations of guitars and play my best. Owning a large variety of guitars, has enlightened, educated, and allowed me to get comfortable with just about any guitar. But, that is no longer enough to justify as a keeper. Something special has to happen whenever that guitar is in my hands. I am truly surprised which ones provide the most consistent magical moments.

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
FWIW, I’ve stripped down my guitars over the last while to what I deem essential, though I dare say I could trim things further.

1. Godin Session (HSS, coil split on the HB, Wilkinson trem, locking tuners)
2. Godin SD (EMG Strat pickups and SPC pot. It’s probably the single most versatile guitar I’ve ever owned)
3. Ibanez AG75
4. Loar LH-300 (you just can’t fake a real acoustic archtop!)
5. BC Rico six string acoustic
6. Simon & Patrick 12 string acoustic

1 - 20 of 77 Posts