The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Signature Guitars were originally made famous by RUSH guitarist Alex Lifeson. Alex helped get the company going in the early days and was heavily involved in the design and development of Signature instruments. Alex used Signatures (most significantly the Aurora model) almost exclusively for the albums "Hold your fire" and "Show of hands". Alex later switched to PRS guitars in the early 1990's when the company was no more.

The Signature Guitar Company was a Canadian Guitar company that made beautifully crafted, high quality electric guitars and basses. They were located in Aurora, Ontario and existed between 1987 and 1990.

Oracle2.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
I used to sell Signatures as well Olivos (made in BC and used by Paul Dean of Loverboy) and Lados (used by all the Canadian big hair bands of the 80's) at the music store I used to work at in Bramalea,ON.

If memory serves, Signatures were distributed by Geo.Heinl the violin company.

Seeing it now, doesn't it remind you of a PRS? I wonder which came first.....

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
PRS was around along time before Signature........
My favorite feature of the Signatures were the Evans pickups.....

·
Registered
126 Posts
i wouldn't say it looks like a PRS, it is more strat with carved top.
PRS is more LPspecial with long upper horn.
i have never had chance to try one out. but i did see a few Lados in my early years.

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Yes, they are very different from a PRS. Very different..............

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Its very different from the Carvin too. That Oracle is neckthru. The tops were quite thick..............

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have a Signature that I had built from one of the last bodies when they shut down. I followed pretty much the same format (Evans, FR) but put a blade switch for strat sounds and a mini toggle to bypass all that and go Bridge Humbucker. It's a great axe except the neck moves still and I find the lowest notes a bit undefined.

One of the main unique features was the long long scale (25-3/4")

Someone once told me that the neck thrus were built by Larivee so if anyone can confirm, that would be cool.

Andy

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
The neckthrus were made by Larrivee, and the boltons were made by Godin. Both of those companies have built lots of guitars for other companies.............

·
Registered
561 Posts
Neckthru.....if I have a sec, I'll post a pic but given that it's deep blue with black hardware and my lack of photographic expertise ;) no guarantees

Electronics are H/S/S Evans with a blade switch setup for the 5 single coil modes and a mini toggle that bypasses all that to go HB (regardless of the blade's setting). Schaller Floyd with a tremsetter and ebony tuner knobs

Andy

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
The end guitars had Seymours, so it cant be a Visionary. Evans however rule..........

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Accept2 said:
The end guitars had Seymours, so it cant be a Visionary. Evans however rule..........
...does evans still make pickups? jeff healey used them for many years.

an old friend, ron (last name escapes me) used to build signature guitars. haven't seen him for a couple of years, but i think he still works for a musical instrument distributer/wholesaler on king west in toronto.

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Evans is no longer making pickups, but he does come out of retirement from time to time. The story I heard from a CDN builder is that Fender and Lace drove him out of business back in the late 80s, and since then he has lost interest in the music business because of the way people like Fender and Lace act. It doesnt suprise me given that both Fender and Lace have screwed over smaller companies before..............

1 - 20 of 134 Posts