The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks!

So, a couple months ago, I went to the local L&M to get some strings for my acoustic guitar. As much as I love buying from smaller local shops, I can only find the ones I like there, go figure! But that's another story...

Anyway, one thing lead to another, and they had a very nice cherry 2016 ES335 on display. I know one of my guitar students is looking for one, and I helped him a little bit in his search. To this day I hadn't played a semi-hollow that wowed me.

But that was before... I asked if I could play it, and he set up a little Vox amp (AC10 I believe) and... Wow! That thing was amazing! That 'woody' hollow goodness from the neck pick up, a nice fat but twangy bridge tone... Really loved that thing. Guitar looked flawless, felt amazing, and sounded great acoustically.

Unfortunately, at that time we just bought (very) expensive plane tickets (going to France for a couple weeks at Christmas time to visit family), so I couldn't buy it on the spot. Plus, I don't like doing that, I like taking my time, think about it and then come back and see if the connection is still the same.

I went back a couple weeks later, the guitar was sold. I went around town to try a few cheaper options, but I keep coming back to the Gibsons. As much as I'd like to love a cheaper guitar, they don't have it. Or maybe I have been searching wrong?

I was thinking of getting more serious about that after Christmas in January/February, and maybe drive up to Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal. The question is: which store should I hit for nice selection of hollow body guitars? I don't mind buying new or used, as long as I find a nice one, but to be honest I'm leaning towards used guitars (or new old stock). I don't want to buy without being able to try first, so no online shopping for me...

·
Registered
3,533 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Nothing beats a hollow or semi hollow, IMHO. I would seriously consider or at least try the Godin Kingpin II or Montreal Premiere if I was in the market. Great value, made right here in Canada. I think you would be impressed, unless you've got your heart set on a Gibson.

·
Premium Member
8,484 Posts
i think cosmo will have the most selection. since you're pasing through witby, i'd stop at tundra. I wouldn't listen to the bad reviews. Ed's fine in person. overpriced though.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
save yourself alot of searching. the guitar you want is waiting for you at danforth and woodbine. the 12th fret.
Go and check out some of the Eastman's they have there. They have some very nice 335 style guitars.

Reactions: Judas68fr

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks a lot for all the suggestions guys! My heart isn't necessarily set on Gibson, it's just that the alternatives I've tried so far haven't really convinced me yet. They were nice guitars, don't get me wrong, but the Gibbys had a different vibe going on that worked better for me.
If I have time after Christmas, I will maybe try to hit the stores where I will be in France. I won't buy there (music instruments are more expensive in Europe), but maybe I can find a store with a nice variety of hollow bodies!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok thanks a lot! I'm keeping that in mind! (and your suggestion about your DOT hasn't gone unnoticed I can assure you ;))

·
Registered
705 Posts
No problem, I like going in there to ogle. It's a high-end store and just about all the guitars are an order of magnitude more expensive than I can justify. If I recall the 339's and 335's were in the 3500-6500 range.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts