The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

401 - 416 of 416 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
didn't plan this yesterday but my wife turned Chefs Table on in the morning and I couldn't sit around,. had to scramble to get this on. the pork is already a usual routine for me but I wanted to make tortillas, they were ok but not great. I'll try again later

Tortillas are so simple, yet not so easy. There is definitely a knack to getting them right.

·
Registered
1965 Fender Mustang, Ampegs, anything to test an amp.
859 Posts
About 40 seconds a side...when that bubble forms, it's close to flipping.

·
Registered
12,929 Posts
I bought a Weber smokefire pellet grill. It makes good food but kinda takes the fun out of it. Bluetooth bbq’s just don’t feel right, it’s like cheating
I wanted a pellet grill for a long time, just haven't got around to it. The nice thing is now there are so many more options then there was 4-5 years ago. The Smokefire caught my eye earlier last year, how do you like yours? I watched a review yesterday and the dude was pretty rough on it.

·
Registered
12,929 Posts
couple of PSA items.

Lowes is blowing out a lot of the Kamado Joe accessories. dunno why, get them if you need them
the Vermont Castings smoking wood chunks from Canadian Tire are pretty great, so far been liking what I picked this season

couple of grilled food items.

·
Premium Member
9,541 Posts
OK, screw it. The big 4 burner ss body ceramic shields that busted the first year and anyways were impossible to clean 8 year old unit just will not heat up very quickly nor produce much flame. I gave it a super scrub down last year, but I think that was its last usefulness without a major overhaul. I might have asked last year but I’m asking again, and I’ll admit I’m in favour of scrap and buy whatever you guys tell me as a $1-1.5K patio unit suitable for large ish family events. Propane experience, willing to learn/experiment somewhat.

Or just buy new burners and some sort of alternate shields off Amazon or etc. Cuisinart unit, should be compatible parts available (?).

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I wanted a pellet grill for a long time, just haven't got around to it. The nice thing is now there are so many more options then there was 4-5 years ago. The Smokefire caught my eye earlier last year, how do you like yours? I watched a review yesterday and the dude was pretty rough on it.
Its basically a convection oven with the usual bbq hot/cold spots, with some added current technology to guarantee its obsolete in 5 years. If you enjoy spending 15 minutes waiting for your bbq to turn off, or 15 minutes waiting for your bbq to turn on because you didn’t turn it off properly, it’s for you. Maybe I just don’t like gimmicks. Going back to natural gas next time I get pro xtra rewards

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Its basically a convection oven with the usual bbq hot/cold spots, with some added current technology to guarantee its obsolete in 5 years. If you enjoy spending 15 minutes waiting for your bbq to turn off, or 15 minutes waiting for your bbq to turn on because you didn’t turn it off properly, it’s for you. Maybe I just don’t like gimmicks. Going back to natural gas next time I get pro xtra rewards
I should note it does make very good food. But you’re not the daddio of the patio you’re just some Douchebag waiting for his phone to beep.

·
Registered
12,929 Posts
OK, screw it. The big 4 burner ss body ceramic shields that busted the first year and anyways were impossible to clean 8 year old unit just will not heat up very quickly nor produce much flame. I gave it a super scrub down last year, but I think that was its last usefulness without a major overhaul. I might have asked last year but I’m asking again, and I’ll admit I’m in favour of scrap and buy whatever you guys tell me as a $1-1.5K patio unit suitable for large ish family events. Propane experience, willing to learn/experiment somewhat.

Or just buy new burners and some sort of alternate shields off Amazon or etc. Cuisinart unit, should be compatible parts available (?).
I've done the yearly cleaning, servicing and even rebuilds, ..wire brush and compressor all the tubes and orifices, but eventually you can just say it has served and time to be replaced. If you replace parts, will you be happy with it for another 8 years? I vote for a new one.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #411
Grabbed a flank steak from the butcher as an interim meal while I wait for the steak to dry up a bit.

This is deceptively big. Biggest flank I've ever made. Again, I dropped the ball and over-charred one side, but it didn't take away from anything - thankfully.

·
Registered
12,929 Posts
how do YOU prepare a flank? I see it all the time but never looked in to grilling it. and this isn't your first post about these, gotta be tasty if you keep going back

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #413
how do YOU prepare a flank? I see it all the time but never looked in to grilling it. and this isn't your first post about these, gotta be tasty if you keep going back
2 ways:

A typical Korean marinade...sesame oil, ginger, soy...etc.

I marinade for only a few hours. They recommend overnight, but I hate it when all you taste is marinade. I like to know I'm eating meat.

Get the grill hot and grill 5 minutes per side and then finish it on indirect for about another 4 minutes. Slice across the grain. Done.

2) get it semi-frozen, so you can thinly slice. Put it on the skewers like I have pictured somewhere in this thread. I actually prefer this, but it can be time consuming. I usually paint on some sort of teriyaki marinade - asian sauce they use for beef short ribs is best.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
When I did flank steak for tacos a couple of weeks ago, I marinaded overnight with a mix of soy sauce, olive oil, garlic, lime juice, salt & pepper and onion slices. Maybe a few other things in there I can't recall. I did a reverse sear with the Napoleon sear station and it came out really nicely. Next time, I will probably filet it in half so it's thinner and either go hot on the grill, or straight to the searing station. I want to add some chile to the marinade, but my wife is very sensitive to hot stuff, so I have to be careful with how much. Tacos de arrachera are her favourite, so I don't want her to have it ruined with too much spice.

·
Registered
12,929 Posts
I picked up some flank steak that I plan to do over the coals today. gotta prep it right away.

also did some breakfast for lunch, steak and eggs and such

does anyone want to do a BBQ sauce exchange program? something favourite and local you want to share? something that may not be available nationwide. I'll happily start, PM me an addy and I'll send you my fav sauce

401 - 416 of 416 Posts