The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

381 - 400 of 416 Posts

·
Registered
12,929 Posts
regarding the smokey mountain. it was fine but two main things made me want to switch it up. the temperature would swing wildly with the slightest gust of wind, be it because of the air vents or the fact it was made out of a thinner materials. the second was I couldn't really grill with it, smoker yes but not really a grill.

other things I didn't like but weren't dealbreakers. I didn't like filling the bowl with water and then later cleaning it, guess I could have used sand as other do but I thought I'd be sacrificing moisture. found out later the moisture wasn't an issue, it was my first smoker. you live and learn. didn't really like using briquets, I prefer lump charcoal, but again, probably could have but was new to smoking and went along because others were doing it.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #382
I’ve been researching a Weber Smokey Mountain. I can start a new thread if you guys think it’s merited, but what are opinions about them? I saw a post from @vadsy earlier that you had one. Could you give me the downlow? Keep in mind this would be my first smoker and would be a companion to my Napoleon Prestige 500. I don’t mind spending some time tending a cook, but if I get into overnight smokes, I’m not sure if I want to be getting up at 6am to tend fires. What do you think?

You should only smoke for a maximum of two hours and then finish in your oven. After 2 hours you're not adding anything. I will continue to promote the Weber Performer and use their Smokenator attachment.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
I got nice smoke flavour from using the smoker accessory for my Napoleon with some burgers last month, as well as with the ribs from a couple of weeks back. I have visions of pork butts and briskets dancing in my head, but I think maybe for now I'll try to get to the point where I'm maximizing what I'm doing with the Prestige 500 before I start buying other stuff.

·
Registered
12,929 Posts
smoking is in again and everyone has something to offer, some in multiple fuel types. I'm sure you can find something when you are ready.

·
Premium Member
4,169 Posts
I used a WSM for about 15 years with zero complaints. Vadsy makes some good points though. I got a Kamado Joe a few years ago so the Weber didn’t get much used unless I was having a party. I sold it when we moved to a place with a postage stamp sized backyard, but I do miss it sometimes. I think it was easier and less fuss to get consistent bbq with it. The Kamado is awesome for grilling, but smoking can be more difficult and a bit hit and miss.

·
Registered
12,929 Posts
I used a WSM for about 15 years with zero complaints. Vadsy makes some good points though. I got a Kamado Joe a few years ago so the Weber didn’t get much used unless I was having a party. I sold it when we moved to a place with a postage stamp sized backyard, but I do miss it sometimes. I think it was easier and less fuss to get consistent bbq with it. The Kamado is awesome for grilling, but smoking can be more difficult and a bit hit and miss.
The Kamado is awesome for grilling, agreed, and I regret not upgrading to the larger one when Lowes was clearing them out. Now you can't find anything for sale. I never had any issues smoking with it, in fact I find it easier than the Weber, but to each his own. I also decided rotisserie would be worth a try and the Kamado does that pretty well also. I've done the small chicken to a 12lb turkey. This summer I want a try wings in a cage thingy, a large hunk of pork and some sort of stuffed beef of Argentinian flavour

apologies if I've already posted this

·
Premium Member
4,169 Posts
The Kamado is awesome for grilling, agreed, and I regret not upgrading to the larger one when Lowes was clearing them out. Now you can't find anything for sale. I never had any issues smoking with it, in fact I find it easier than the Weber, but to each his own. I also decided rotisserie would be worth a try and the Kamado does that pretty well also. I've done the small chicken to a 12lb turkey. This summer I want a try wings in a cage thingy, a large hunk of pork and some sort of stuffed beef of Argentinian flavour

My only problem with the Kamado is I can't do 10-12 hour cooks. The heat always starts tapering off after about 6 hours. Not long enough to get to a butt or brisket up to 200. I often have to finish in the oven which is OK, but that would never happen with the WSM.

·
Registered
12,929 Posts
My only problem with the Kamado is I can't do 10-12 hour cooks. The heat always starts tapering off after about 6 hours. Not long enough to get to a butt or brisket up to 200. I often have to finish in the oven which is OK, but that would never happen with the WSM.
huh. it was the exact opposite for me. I've done 18 hour cooks on the KJ and the digital temp changes 14 degrees overnight, hardly something to worry about. but I had a tougher time on the Weber.

·
Premium Member
10,915 Posts

Based on that, would you say the mini ones 13” or so, are useless?

·
Registered
12,929 Posts
Based on that, would you say the mini ones 13” or so, are useless?
I wouldn’t call it useless but it wouldn’t be for me. My brother lived in a high rise and had a little Lodge cast iron unit he used with coals for smoking and grilling, it wasn’t much different than the 13” Joe. I think it would be limited for shorter cooks as you couldn’t really pack it with fuel and it would be hard to fit a rack of ribs on.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Good Friday fish ‘n chips. I love fish, but hate the stink in the house. This is a perfect solution.
They aren’t as dark as they look (from cooking). My wife is gluten intolerant. These are my homemade GF breadcrumbs. Gives a bit darker finish.
A669A356-2B11-40D8-87BD-D06C2750DD1F.jpeg

664BBF09-B6EA-4BED-BE58-57E7FD32FE1B.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Easter lunch was stuffed pork loin on the rotisserie and drip pan potatoes, with both regular and sweet potatoes in the mix. I put some pecan chips in the smoker box to add some smokey flavour and it was amazing.

·
Registered
12,929 Posts
Good Friday fish ‘n chips. I love fish, but hate the stink in the house. This is a perfect solution.
They aren’t as dark as they look (from cooking). My wife is gluten intolerant. These are my homemade GF breadcrumbs. Gives a bit darker finish.
View attachment 358832
View attachment 358833
I've been doing the same thing but make a beer batter, easy on the flour usually and up the other spices. fish and chips outside is a relief cuz it keeps the mess down inside but I still go easy on the oil as not to start a fire

been turning these guys

into these,., sorry the quality is so bad. winter grilling is often in the friggin dark so the pictures are potato quality

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I've been doing the same thing but make a beer batter, easy on the flour usually and up the other spices. fish and chips outside is a relief cuz it keeps the mess down inside but I still go easy on the oil as not to start a fire

been turning these guys

into these,., sorry the quality is so bad. winter grilling is often in the friggin dark so the pictures are potato quality

I love beer battered fish. But, I’m not gluten intolerant, just the wife. I don’t know which GF beer would make a good substitute. I’ve heard some nasty stories about it, so I don’t want to get stuck with the other 5 from a six pack! Any suggestions here would be much appreciated.
Yours look perfect!

·
Registered
12,929 Posts
didn't plan this yesterday but my wife turned Chefs Table on in the morning and I couldn't sit around,. had to scramble to get this on. the pork is already a usual routine for me but I wanted to make tortillas, they were ok but not great. I'll try again later

381 - 400 of 416 Posts