The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

361 - 380 of 416 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,915 Posts
I tried sourdough bread in the pizza oven tonight, after the pizza ...the part that wasn’t burnt was really good.
i’ll try it in a regular oven next time for the better temp control.

Reactions: Adcandour

·
Premium Member
10,915 Posts
couple of meals planned for this weekend, just the immediate family due to all the Covid goings on. kinda sad about that actually
pomegranate braised beef ribs with sweet potato mash tonight and some Cornish hens later on

that marbling tho....

Reactions: Adcandour and vadsy

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #367
Well, I'm trying to get my old bbq back. Should have it tomorrow and be eating ribs by Monday. I miss charcoal.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
we need to get this thread going again. lots of guys cooking here,., please share

I've missed posting a bunch of times as I finally decided to try the ceramic through the winter. anyways, tonight was smashed burgers, thanks to @sulphur for posting the vid in another thread

Dude, those buns do not look up to your standards. Or are they some kind of 'sleeper' artisan product? :D

·
Registered
12,929 Posts
sleeper Safeway bakery. bagged on the same day. I like freshly baked bread, who doesn't, and that's enough for me

·
Registered
1965 Fender Mustang, Ampegs, anything to test an amp.
859 Posts
we need to get this thread going again. lots of guys cooking here,., please share

I've missed posting a bunch of times as I finally decided to try the ceramic through the winter. anyways, tonight was smashed burgers, thanks to @sulphur for posting the vid in another thread

We didn't BBQ but the house had a chili smell all day...getting close to the end of the season for it.
The thing I like about making chili is you can hide a lot of your mistakes. My mom used to tell me that a good cook can hide their mistakes.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #372
We didn't BBQ but the house had a chili smell all day...getting close to the end of the season for it.
The thing I like about making chili is you can hide a lot of your mistakes. My mom used to tell me that a good cook can hide their mistakes.

View attachment 356468
Paul. Buddy.

I don't see a grill, or anything grilled.

You better grill something and post stat.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Great thread! I should have popped in here ages ago. We just moved to a house with a backyard in January and I got myself a Napoleon gasser, which has been amazing for getting back into regular grilling after decades. I would only grill at the cottage in the summer a bit and that’s it, so it took me some time to figure out the cold-weather stuff.

Today we did some marinated flank steak “carne asada” for tacos, complete with homemade salsas and corn tortillas. It was almost like being back in the taquerias in Mexico.

Last weekend, I tried a rotisserie ribs recipe that turned out really well for my first time, although in hindsight, I would start them maybe an hour earlier. I used the smoker box accessory and it helped a lot with flavour, although I also added some foil pouches of chips as time went by. The cold wind sure didn’t help with temperatures, either.

I’m now contemplating a smoker of some sort and weighing the pros and cons of the different fuels. From what I’ve read, charcoal is the way to go for flavour, but also requires the most babysitting. Gas is in the middle, while electric is almost “set it and forget it”. I can see the appeal of all three.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Replaced my 15 year old Traeger with a Louisiana Grills pellet grill. It gets hotter, has a much bigger pellet hopper, 4 meat probes that talk to my phone. It's a nice step up.

Charcoal is the best, but pellet grills are pretty much set it and forget it. I'm too lazy to get more involved with cooking. I've long said that I don't cook, I heat. Heating meat with hot wood smoke is my preferred method. I used to heat frozen pizza on my traeger, I'm looking forward to more of the same.

I've only burned it in, and cooked a burger. Pics to follow when I heat a full meal.

·
Premium Member
10,915 Posts
Thats one of the things I most look forward to on weekends...my wife makes me a breakfast like that at least once.
Im a simple man :)

Love seeing life in this thread again.
didnt do much grilling over the winter, used the wood fired pizza oven a handful of times when the weather was milder. Plan to use it a lot more this summer, I think I figured out my temperature issues with it, just have to see if its replicable. I'll post pics of the results soon, now that we have more daylight.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #379
Got my PROPER BBQ back - and I'm absolutely stoked. I'm so excited that this pun was intended.

I'm a bit rusty, as you can tell from the closest wing, but there's nothing like the taste of charcoal with a couple of logs tossed in there to make a bit of char palatable.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
I’ve been researching a Weber Smokey Mountain. I can start a new thread if you guys think it’s merited, but what are opinions about them? I saw a post from @vadsy earlier that you had one. Could you give me the downlow? Keep in mind this would be my first smoker and would be a companion to my Napoleon Prestige 500. I don’t mind spending some time tending a cook, but if I get into overnight smokes, I’m not sure if I want to be getting up at 6am to tend fires. What do you think?

361 - 380 of 416 Posts