The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
C50EC7A0-F68D-40DD-9125-13527721D4E3.jpeg
I went and saw Paul McCartney last night and, like any guitar nerd, was watching the big screens trying to drink in every detail of every guitar and bass that was handed to him. The old Epiphone Texan was there, a couple of vintage Martins, the custom-painted Les Paul and of course the vintage Hofner.

Today I was just doing some Googling about all this legendary gear and I came across an interview with Guitarist Magazine he did back in 2004 and I was struck by something he said:

"Here's a story that shows how low-tech I really am: I went into an instrument store in New York, and this guy recognises me and says, Oh man, I'm a bass player and I've always wanted to know what strings you use. And I swear I wasn't trying to be funny when I said, Kind of long, shiny ones. And I actually don't know - it's not really important to me. I will play on anything and everything because I'm genuinely not too fussy about gear. The playing and the song are more important than the equipment."

If one of the most successful and influential singer/songwriter/musicians doesn't even really know (or care) what he's using, I really need to stop caring if my 335 is Nashville or Memphis :)

·
Premium Member
12,594 Posts
Because his techs have been taking care of his equipment for how many decades now?
LOL

If I didn't have to make my own Martini's, I probably wouldn't care what kind of Vermouth was in it. I'd still insist on it being shaken, though, and never, ever stirred (like I could tell the fricken difference :rolleyes: ).

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Acoustic is different then electric and he is more about the song then his playing ability ( and trust me even after all this time he is just an average player of both guitar and bass ). I know lots of players who don't care just as long as the strings don't break on stage they could give no thought to it.

·
Premium Member
13,181 Posts
As long as he didn't play Silly Love Songs (wave of nausea) I would have likely enjoyed the concert

·
Premium Member
12,594 Posts
Acoustic is different then electric and he is more about the song then his playing ability ( and trust me even after all this time he is just an average player of both guitar and bass ). I know lots of players who don't care just as long as the strings don't break on stage they could give no thought to it.
I disagree. His bass playing was par extraordinaire. He wrote some of the most iconic bass lines ever. And his guitar solos on many Beatles classics speak for themselves. Great player, on both instruments, IMO.

He isn't flashy and he's maybe lost a chop or two, but I would never say Sir Paul was an average player.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would guess that he doesn't worry about it because he has a tech who is paid to do the worrying.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts