The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The interaction between the minister and Cassidy, regarding whether there is an audience for pictures of a girl in a dark cage, was priceless.

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
My wife and I are fans of it. Never knew there was a comic until we started watching.

Great that the season runs all through the summer.

·
Registered
24,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Big fan of the comic book serie. They really toned it down for the yv audience but it is still a great serie so far.
You should take a look at the article I linked to, where Seth Rogen explains what their "toning-down" rationale was. He and his writing partner Evan Goldberg were huge fans of the comic.

L

·
0 Posts
Just watched a couple of previews on YT.
I'm going to have to check this out.

·
Registered
24,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's, uh.....different. Not that any of the other actors and their characters are wanting in any way, but Ruth Negga as Tulip is simply wonderful. And the idea of a 118 year-old slacker Irish vampire with a drug problem is also appealing and distinctive.

There will be some details from the first season that one may need to make greater sense of Season 2:
  • How Jesse and Tulip grew up
  • The origins of The Cowboy
  • How Jesse's church and town blew up
  • How God went missing
  • The origins of "Genesis"
  • The angel-phone to Heaven
I don't think any of these details are absolutely essential to finding the show as spectacular as the first time you watched Pulp Fiction. I mean, do you really need the first half of the roller-coaster ride in order to find the second half having an impact on your blood pressure or the current location of your lunch? But they will help to make more of the content more meaningful. If you don't want to spend the effort finding the episodes and binge-watching, this will bring you up to speed, albeit without the pleasure of watching: Preacher: episode by episode | Television & radio | The Guardian

I enjoyed this past season of Fargo, as well as previous seasons. Preacher makes them look like an episode of Mr. Dressup or Mister Roger's Neighbourhood.

L

·
0 Posts
There will be some details from the first season that one may need to make greater sense of Season 2:
  • How Jesse and Tulip grew up
  • The origins of The Cowboy
  • How Jesse's church and town blew up
  • How God went missing
  • The origins of "Genesis"
  • The angel-phone to Heaven
I'll be watching season 1 prior to catching up with #2.

·
Registered
24,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Undoubtedly, there are things one can accomplish in a graphic novel that are either difficult, or prohibitively expensive, to do in a live-action form.

But one of the things that "Preacher" does exceptionally well, in a manner that could definitely NOT be done via graphic novel, is convey the idea of "hell" as reliving the worst moments/events of your life over and over and over, without escape, like some perverse mantra. Watching Eugene Root have to remember the sequence of events that led to him ending up in his present condition (as "Arse-Face"), and wrongly blamed as murderer for a stupid suicide that he had tried so hard to prevent, was brilliantly done. It's awful. You don't want to have to see it happen again, but you are OBLIGED to watch it again, and again, in ever quicker, but sufficiently excruciating repetitions. The editing was key, and deserving of special mention.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts