The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been going there a few years. As they sold more and more memberships, it went downhill. Machines weren't being maintained, no one was cleaning the machines, etc. The usual crap you get at public gyms.

The parking lot also started getting full and some of us had to park on the street. No big deal. But then this one asshole decides he doesn't want to park on the street and decides he'll park blocking the only entry and exit. This was during construction so the normally wide entrance was down to a narrow lane. None of us could get out. We found out who he was and asked him to move his car. His answer was we could all just wait until his workout (not his set, his complete workout) was done. Me and several others were forced to wait 30 min before we could leave.

I called the police, they said there was nothing they could do about it as it was on private property and the owner needed to complain. I called the owner and he said he wasn't going to take any action for fear of reprisals to his gym or the building. This happened twice. Same guy.

What the hell is going on with this world?

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 63 SG Standard, 62 Fender Princeton and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,193 Posts
Been going there a few years. As they sold more and more memberships, it went downhill. Machines weren't being maintained, no one was cleaning the machines, etc. The usual crap you get at public gyms.

The parking lot also started getting full and some of us had to park on the street. No big deal. But then this one asshole decides he doesn't want to park on the street and decides he'll park blocking the only entry and exit. This was during construction so the normally wide entrance was down to a narrow lane. None of us could get out. We found out who he was and asked him to move his car. His answer was we could all just wait until his workout (not his set, his complete workout) was done. Me and several others were forced to wait 30 min before we could leave.

I called the police, they said there was nothing they could do about it as it was on private property and the owner needed to complain. I called the owner and he said he wasn't going to take any action for fear of reprisals to his gym or the building. This happened twice. Same guy.

What the hell is going on with this world?
Go to the closest pharmacy, get a bottle of nail polish remover or two and pour it on the hood of the car.

·
Premium Member
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Don't get caught ;)
There’s cameras everywhere. The point of this post was not to seek advice on revenge. I’m long gone from that gym and that idiot. The point of the post was how far we’ve gone in our own selfishness as human beings when we know we will never be held to account for our actions. And sometimes even when we will be.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I know it's history now but I would have reminded the gym owner that he has a legal obligation to maintain access for emergency vehicles. The threat of a fine works wonders on motivating people.

·
Premium Member
16,816 Posts
Go to the closest pharmacy, get a bottle of nail polish remover or two and pour it on the hood of the car.
Bring a bottle of brake fluid to the gym. Walk by the car and squirt it along the side. Video cameras probably won’t be able to prove anything. If the cops or other authorities won’t make things right, there are times you have to deal with the A-hole yourself.

In summer, I do park as far away from other cars as possible, but I do NOT EVER take up two spots or impede anyone from parking or leaving. I don’t want people who don’t really give a shit about their cars to damage mine with doors or shopping carts, but I DON’T think I deserve special privileges.

·
Registered
918 Posts
"Several others". Only way to stop being bullied is to stand up to the bully.

Option 2. Call a towtruck, have it towed.

·
Registered
24,696 Posts
I know it's history now but I would have reminded the gym owner that he has a legal obligation to maintain access for emergency vehicles. The threat of a fine works wonders on motivating people.
Yep. That gym has bad management. The needle to be threaded is how to let that management know how it could be improved without it feeling like a penis-measurement competition to them (which is unlikely to result in any compliance on their part). I think the indication that they could risk serious fines by permitting blocking of access to emergency vehicles is an excellent strategy, because the "threat" is not coming from the person reminding them, but from external authorities. Most, if not all, of the other suggestions can entail blind vendettas on the part of someone who seems to have precious little consideration of others. That sort of thing can easily escalate.

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
Yeah, just pull the fire alarm. A blocked entrance will suddenly become a major problem for the owner.

·
Premium Member
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I tried that but there's no designated fire route posted.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts