The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Apparently they've already added two more shows: one in Montreal, the other in Vancouver. Tickets go on sale Feb 26. I was so mad because they actually sold out BEFORE the tickets even went on sale, due to something called Best Buy or something like that . It involved pre-buying a *membership* with the Police, to the tune of $125.00! People actually did this and consequently, when tickets were supposed to be available at 11:00 am MST today, they were already sold out. Sounds like a scam to me.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Gilliangirl said:
Apparently they've already added two more shows: one in Montreal, the other in Vancouver. Tickets go on sale Feb 26. I was so mad because they actually sold out BEFORE the tickets even went on sale, due to something called Best Buy or something like that . It involved pre-buying a *membership* with the Police, to the tune of $125.00! People actually did this and consequently, when tickets were supposed to be available at 11:00 am MST today, they were already sold out. Sounds like a scam to me.
Totally agree. I liked The Police back in the day and my wife and I would have loved to get a couple of tickets, but not at that price. No one is worth that much. What a money grab!

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is outrageous. Every year some new gimmick. Another reason I wont go to these mega shows anymore. Any venue over 4000 seats and I am usually staying away. It's really too bad because it would be a great show. When I paid $160.00 for the Stones "No Security Tour" I swore that would be the last time I paid that kind of money for a concert. It gets to a point where it is just not worth it. The unfortunate thing is, as long as bands continue to sell out stadiums at those prices, it will not stop. Someone is obviously willing to spend the money so they are going to take it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Gilliangirl said:

I've seen people with $225 tickets - which is insane - and the first show got sold out in 20 minutes, I guess that's why they added a second concert. I would have loved to see The Police but I'm not paying $200 a ticket, it's way overpriced. Imagine how much the scalpers are gonna make...

·
Registered
485 Posts
I logged on to my account at Ticketmaster before the tickets went on sale. I tried to buy two tickets ANYWHERE in the building, but I kept getting a 'Your request is not available' message. When that happened, I tried to phone Ticketmaster. I kept trying to purchase online, with my ear attached to the phone. I finally got through to Ticketmaster at 11:39 am. It was the Ticketmaster representative who informed me that the tickets were already gone by the time they went on sale. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. That's when he explained the 'pre-sale' thing. So, for those who purchased the $225.00 seats, their tickets actually cost $375.00 because the only way to get tickets to this event was through $125.00 membership in the 'Best Buy pre-sale club'. It really did seem like a money grab to me.

·
All the way to ten
936 Posts
This is precisely the reason why concert dvd's are becoming a big thing with me. Relatively inexpensive compared to a concert ticket, and I can watch it over and over again.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
A pair of good seats to the ACC show sold for $1000.

I think I'll wait for the dvd.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Gilliangirl said:
I logged on to my account at Ticketmaster before the tickets went on sale. I tried to buy two tickets ANYWHERE in the building, but I kept getting a 'Your request is not available' message. When that happened, I tried to phone Ticketmaster. I kept trying to purchase online, with my ear attached to the phone. I finally got through to Ticketmaster at 11:39 am. It was the Ticketmaster representative who informed me that the tickets were already gone by the time they went on sale. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. That's when he explained the 'pre-sale' thing. So, for those who purchased the $225.00 seats, their tickets actually cost $375.00 because the only way to get tickets to this event was through $125.00 membership in the 'Best Buy pre-sale club'. It really did seem like a money grab to me.
I'm sure that there are a few enterprising individuals who paid the $125.00 and bought as many tickets as they would allow. If they sold out at $225.00 and you had to pay the $125.00 fee, I'm sure they will be seats available to those who would want to pay $500.00 for the experience.

Personally, Iwouldn't pay that kind of money to see anyone.

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The problem is that there are plenty that will pay it. If there was no demand, there would be no supply. You now also have all these "premium" ticket sources that seem to have plenty of good seats. Selling at 4 times face value or more.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
My GF and I are heading down to Madison Square Gardens for the August 1st show. Yes, tickets werent cheap but were making it a mini vacation - she likes NY a lot and I havnt been yet, so what the hell.

I've been a huge Police fan since I was in grade school (I was in highschool when they broke up) and it was Andy Summers that got me really interested in playing guitar.

There is not too many bands I'd pay a bit of $$ to see, but this is probably my one and only chance to see them so what the hell. You only live once!

AJC

·
Registered
319 Posts
The poorlice

I guess they arent getting back together because they genuinely missed each other? Another money tour.
At least they can play their instruments at a respectable level..........unlike the stones

·
Registered
319 Posts
Stoner

rippinglickfest said:
I guess they arent getting back together because they genuinely missed each other? Another money tour.
At least they can play their instruments at a respectable level..........unlike the stones
I know the stones are up there....but I'm talking about their performance at the SARS concert.............abyssmal.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Police tickets

I admit that I purchased a pair for the first Toronto show from a scalper. It isn't much different than paying the so-called membership to Best Buy or the Police website (which is actually a spinoff of Sting's site, which has always charged for membership $100 US).
Not only did scalpers have a field day, there were people selling the membership passwords for the pre-sales on eBay.
I was on line when the pre-sales started and was intially looking for 4 seats. I was offered some average seats which I declined and as I searched elsewhere in the ACC for seats, there were NO MORE groupings of 4 seats left. That used up approx 2 minutes. I then looked for pairs of seats, but that would have meant paying the membership $120 CDN twice so I passed on Ticketmaster and went to the scalper. I could have skipped the show but my wife is a Sting fan, beyond description. It's a Valentine's gift from me. I've paid more (Rolling Stones VIP seats) but these weren't cheap.

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, if it's a must see show, and that may be the case for some, then you need to do what you have to in order to get in. But for most, like me, I would like to see the show but if I don't it will not bother me too much. So, glad to hear you got som tix. It should be a good one.

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
They are coming to Edmonton now too. Commonwealth Stadium. Think I'll have to pass on this one - I hate stadium shows. I saw them in a club (Edgerton's or the Edge or whatever it was called at the time) in Toronto back in the 70's anyways. I think it was a $5 cover charge.

:eek:

Pete

1 - 20 of 41 Posts