The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like they're going to court over possible copyright infringement

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/led-zeppelin-stairway-to-heaven-lawsuit-robert-plant-and-jimmy-page-to-face-jury-over-copyright-a6979876.html

Personally, I think there are far more serious, ahhhhh, copyright infringements that they could be charged with. I love the band - they were a huge influence to me growing up. But those blatant rip-offs never sat well with me. Just give the original writers credit and some money, guys. Squeeze the lemon, sell a mansion, it won't kill you.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Spirit's Taurus vs Led Zepplin Stairway to Heaven, I think its a stretch. I'll bet there are hundreds of musical similarities that are coincidence.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
The bands performed together several times before LZ wrote "Stairway". There's no question they knew the song. How much similarity is there? I hear a lot. The intro melody of "Stairway", which is one of the key themes of the song, is practically identical to one of the key melodies in "Taurus". To my ear, there is no question they copied it. Their established history of plagiarism doesn't really help their argument either. They've resolved at least four other infringement cases by granting a co-write to the person they infringed. I don't see why this one would end any differently.

...of course no die-hard Led Zepplin fan will hear any similarity whatsoever. The best Page and Plant can hope for if they go to trial is to have the jury stacked with fans. Short of that, they'd be crazy to let it go to trial.
Yeah we can say that the intro is almost identical. And just about every new country song that has come out in the last 5 years has an intro thats identical, lyrics that are the same and chord progressions the same.

·
Registered
8,746 Posts
The bands performed together several times before LZ wrote "Stairway". There's no question they knew the song.

Even if they performed together (that is disputed) there is no proof that Zeppelin ever heard the song. To say "there is no question" is simply wrong.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
I've yet to decide whether I agree it's plagiarism or not.
But I agree with nkjanssen that it's pretty foolish to let this get to trial. Considering that the proceeds will go to the late Randy California's charitable foundation, Zep better hope they have some fans on the jury.

·
Registered
8,746 Posts
Except there is ample evidence that they performed together at least five times at shows where Spirit played "Taurus".
What I read yesterday said that some members of Spirit claimed they played together, but that those claims had not been proven.

And why is some trustee for someone's estate pursuing this lawsuit after the individual's death when the individual said himself that he had no interest in pursuing a lawsuit and that Zep could have the song if it did, in fact, come from his song?

Besides, blues artists have been stealing from each other since the genre began without anyone complaining. Why are people complaining about Zep? Hell, I read (or saw) an interview with Buddy guy in which he said that he once told Clapton that he liked his new record (cannot remember which one at the moment) and Clapton replied that he should because he had stolen everything from Guy!

As the old saying goes - good authors borrow, great authors steal. This is nothing new and this trustee is simply trying to capitalize on the success of Zeppelin's song.

It doesn't take more than that to establish access. And access is what has to be proved.

No, access is not what has to be proved. What has to be proved is that they heard the song. Having access and actually hearing the song are not the same thing.

You are stating things as if they are facts when they are not facts and are nothing more than your opinion.

This is like discussing religion, though. Most people already have their minds made up

You are a prime example of that.

Not really any point in discussing it, frankly.

And yet you continue to do so.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
You could also agree that Ian Anderson's statement's that Hotel California happened after they toured together and the Eagles heard Tull's regular sound check of We Used to Know. No lawsuit but seems awfully close and the timeline fits.

[video]
[/video]

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
This may sound like a frivolous lawsuit, but there is more than we've recently heard about. I've been following the story for about 2 years.
There is apparently documented evidence of them playing Spirit material, and opening for them on tour.
Here is a pretty good article with more detail than the recent stories:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-05-15/led-zeppelins-stairway-to-heaven-vs-dot-spirits-taurus-a-reckoning

I agree with the lawyer who says they really don't want to let this get to a jury.
Let me spin it for you. Guitar player who never got his due/fame/financial reward dies trying to save his son. One of the most well known modern songs "coincidentally" opens in the same manner as a song he wrote. The band that got rich & famous for "their version" has priors appropriating and plagiarizing other songs (some of which they paid out to settle). And the two bands played tour dates together where said "originator" song was played. A charitable foundation that gives money to schools for music ed. will receive proceeds if it goes in Spirit's favour.
Getting good yet? ;)
How much does our culture love to tear down what we have built up? Is it Zep's turn?

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
Forty four (44) years have passed and now the lawyers have a new case and an chance to make lots of money. Sounds like a money grab to me.

For anyone that hasn't heard the 2 songs together, have a listen.

And nkjanssen. Your opinions are always welcome and you have the right to express them.

·
Registered
8,746 Posts
And nkjanssen. Your opinions are always welcome and you have the right to express them.

Of course he does, but if he is going to express them he had better expect them to be challenged. This is especially true when it is clear from his posts that he doesn't like Zeppelin and dismisses anyone who disagrees with him as being a Zeppelin fan who cannot be objective. It seems that he only wants to hear from those who agree with his positions.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts