The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think we have all passed on guitars we wished we would have bought, but some passes are more painful than others.

Back in the mid-80s I had the opportunity to check out two Les Paul Customs at a friend-of-a-friends. One was black and one was red. I wanted to like the black one, but there was this evil growl coming out of the red one's bridge pickup through the Marshall that was really inspiring.

I played each one a few times and it became clear pretty quickly that there was something special about the red one's tone.

So I asked how much, dreading the answer, and the guy said $500.00 for either one... I said wut? I asked him if they were stolen and he admitted they were stolen from break-in at a downtown music store the previous week. Yikes!

I couldn't get out of there fast enough, but to this day I still think from time-to-time about what could have been.

Not that I need a hug or anything.....:(

Anyone else?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Back in high school a friend of mine went to see George Thorogood with a girl we knew. After the show they stole a guitar each. He went straight home with the intention of stashing it at my place. Um, gee......thanks. I probably would have been stupid enough to do it. LOL! Anyway his partner in crime thought it would be a good idea to hit a bar after. A couple of roadies strolled in and found her. She pointed them in the direction of the other guitar. Al was resolved with no police intervention. Or broken teeth.

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Round about 78 I had a chance to buy a 56 Gold Top for a grand. The store was in Thornhill and the owner loaned me the guitar for 2 weeks saying you need to buy this. It was a good guitar but I didn’t have a thousand bucks at the time.

·
Premium Member
16,816 Posts
I sold my Hamer USA, tied for nicest guitar I've had with my Artist V.

The other was "big blue", the AJC custom built singlecut I bought back from AJC a couple years later.

·
Registered
24,368 Posts
Working a produce-stand job at the By Ward market in 1971, a guy not far from work was selling his two-pickup Firebird V for $150. He was in a Stones cover band,and when Keef switched to a clear lucite Dan Armstrong, he had to as well, so the Firebird had to go. I tried it out after work, told the guy I'd be back with the cash at lunch the next day, and left. Apparently, shortly after I left, another guy came by, offered him $160, and gave him $20 cash as a deposit. When I came back, the vendor told me what had happened and that the guitar would be sold to the other guy.

Ironically, I had $80 cash in my pocket when I tried the guitar out. This was during a period of history when there was no Paypal, college students could not have credit cards, there were no ATMs in existence, and banks closed at 3:00PM sharp.

·
Premium Member
11,846 Posts
We now have an overall winner.
His is truly a very sad and unfortunate revelation. GF^%@

Condolences. (stupid fool)
LOL

If they were twins, we should give him a national holiday for such a tragic misfortune.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Early 70’s Ric 4001, just a few years ago being sold in mint condition with original case for $1000 obo. I was a broke student. So it goes.

·
Premium Member
9,729 Posts
I passed on a smokin set of sisters once
I did too...bugs me that I didn't. But I was like 16, I would have been in way over my head lol
I regret all the ones I didn't do, honestly. even the not so hot ones.

in terms of guitars, there was a beautiful dirty lemon R9 aged Yamano here for sale a few years ago. I looked at it almost everyday until it sold but just couldn't spare the cash at the time.

about a decade ago here someone was selling one of my holy grail shredders..a Washburn Nuno N4 Snakeskin. again, too rich for my blood at that time. they almost never come up for sale
I came across another one a few months ago, but it had a relic job, swapped out pickups etc and I just couldn't justify paying that much money for something in that condition. Also, now I don't even know what CITES would say about importing a guitar with a real python skin cover on it?

·
Premium Member
16,816 Posts
Oh yeah - someone had a PRS Modern Eagle III for a reasonable price, but I didn't have the $$ and/or had committed to my artist V. Passed on a $1400 custom 22 in blue matteo too...

Those aren't guitars I owned though.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts