The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welcome to the Next Generation Game Systems Thread. Here you can discuss the new game systems that have come out, these include, Xbox 360, PS3, and Nintendo Wii. Lets not get this thread too out of control ok?

:wave:

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I've got a Xbox 360 and a Wii.

Gears of War on the 360 absolutely rocks. I won't be getting a PS3 it really doesn't offer anything above and beyond the 360. I've got the HD-DVD for the 360 so no interest in Blue Ray.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I got my got my Wii!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Jeff Flowerday said:
Gears of War on the 360 absolutely rocks.
No kidding. The game looks amazing and the game play is fun as heck. Gets my heart pumping, that's for sure. I'd love to try co-op mode sometime, but none of my friends play video games.

I'm not sure if I'll get a PS3. I'm going to wait it out and see if Gran Turismo 5 is good or not. That lame thing they're putting out next (GT HD or whatever it's called) just seems like a bad idea.

I can't wait for Guitar Hero to come out for Xbox 360 though. Should be fairly soon.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
nine said:
No kidding. The game looks amazing and the game play is fun as heck. Gets my heart pumping, that's for sure. I'd love to try co-op mode sometime, but none of my friends play video games.

I'm not sure if I'll get a PS3. I'm going to wait it out and see if Gran Turismo 5 is good or not. That lame thing they're putting out next (GT HD or whatever it's called) just seems like a bad idea.

I can't wait for Guitar Hero to come out for Xbox 360 though. Should be fairly soon.
I'll go Co-op with you sometime. Just add my ID to your friends.

My ID is:

Dr Tone

PS) I just upgraded to a Sony XBR w/1080p and GOW looks even more amazing running it at that resolution.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Just so you know, the 360 only renders at 720p and upconverts to 1080. That's not to say that a good TV makes a big difference though.

I'll definitely add you when I get the wireless adapter thingo for my 360. Right now it's not networked at all.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
nine said:
Just so you know, the 360 only renders at 720p and upconverts to 1080. That's not to say that a good TV makes a big difference though.

I'll definitely add you when I get the wireless adapter thingo for my 360. Right now it's not networked at all.
[Computer nerd talk on]

Yep, I know all the current games render in 720p. The upconversion is pretty good on it though. I compared it to my Panasonic S-97 upconverting DVD player and it was on par if not better. FYI, I have the HD-DVD drive so regular DVDs are upscaled as well when using VGA.

I have heard rumblings of 1080p games coming down the pipe, but I have to wonder if there is enough power in the unit to render at that resolution.

[\Computer nerd talk off] :tongue: :tongue:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just picked up a Wii, Great system, so much better than my older xbox. My arms and back are so sore from boxing :tongue: Internet surfing is pretty cool also!
I wonder if a guitar game will be released like Guitar Hero 2 ?

FZ1

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
nine said:
Honestly, it's worth it for that alone based on the price. And you get a sweet game and multimedia system for free!
Yah, I have a 60GB drive with nothing on it, so I've been ripping some of my favorite CDs @ 320AAC -> PS3 to get the best sound quality. I'm running fiber to my Yamaha receiver.

As for a gaming system, I still think the Xbox 360 is better. I'm hooked on achievements, plus GOW kicks anything Sony has to offer right now. I guess only time will tell when some real 1080p games come out for the PS3.

I will say this though the PS3 does an amazing job of 480p regular DVDs. It doesn't upconvert yet, but it's the best progressive DVD player out there, IMO. So when they finally update it with upconversion I have high expectations, it has 10x times the processing power of any other upconverting DVD player.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'm always very skeptical of upconverting. I've tried it with my computer and the Samsung upconverting DVD player I have and neither really looked like anything more than just a good 480p picture.

Upconversion, in the way that it's currently done, provokes more of a placebo effect than anything else. Lots of people saying "Holy crap- it's amazing!!!!!!" when you could've just switched it over to a normal DVD player without them knowing. There's a lot of that in the A/V world.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts