The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'll kick it off...

Tomorrow is my wife's birthday and she'll be 52, she likes silver jewellery.

This is a 1965 quarter, 80% silver so close enough to sterling for me.

Ok here we go, mark and punch the centre.

Drill a hole, countersink and anneal.

Wrapped in T tape to preserve the details it goes in the arbor press.

Squash...

·
Registered
14,585 Posts
Well that's pricier than the penny earrings I saw once.

I made a sandwich today--does that count?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Ok, I'll kick it off...

Tomorrow is my wife's birthday and she'll be 52, she likes silver jewellery.

This is a 1965 quarter, 80% silver so close enough to sterling for me.

Ok here we go, mark and punch the centre.

Drill a hole, countersink and anneal.

Wrapped in T tape to preserve the details it goes in the arbor press.

Squash...

Don’t let the feds see this . Defacing money is a federal crime that is punishable with jail time. If you ask me it’s stupid nice work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,309 Posts
I made the wife a leather choker, engraved, hand laced the full 9 yards but she won't wear it. I wonder why. When her birthday came around she was too tired to go out for dinner with me. She had gone out the night before with her son and his girlfriend.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I built my own windsurfers for a while some time ago. So it was not too big a challenge to bring this one back to life. I broke it in half, following to a badly landed high jump. It was a demo board that was lent to me and a month later, BAM. I had to buy it then, $1700 ! I wasn't going to throw it in the garbage bin. Two pieces ... easy puzzle no ? A kit. Just have to put it back together.

This is me right after the unfortunate mishap. At the moment, I was sure I could claim the warranty, hence the smile.

To start with, I glued the inside foam back together and stabilised the hull roughly, to make sure everything was well aligned and wasn't moving a millimetre. The intricate pattern on it made it easy to put both pieces back together exactly how they were.

I then made stringers with high density foam laminated on both sides with fiberglass. Everything was vacuum bagged for optimal bonding.

These are going to be inserted vertically in strategictely routed channels, to ensure longitudinal stiffness. One centered on the bottom, two on the deck.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Then I built some blocks that will be inserted in the rails at the ends of the break.

And shape them accordingly.

Now that the two parts are perfectly put back together and stable, I can go on rebuilding both surfaces. The method used is a sandwich construction. That is composed of a high density foam core laminated on both sides with epoxied cloth, in this case, fiberglass and carbon. Vacuum bagged, of course.
So here is the bottom routing. Along the break and where the hull was damaged.

This is with density foam in and sanded.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Then carbon cloth on top of the whole area.

Here you see top foam inserts, with bottom repair traced in red. The top routing is in a W shape to ensure the forces won't be along a single line across the shell, that would make it a weak area that could break again. The fact that both bottom and top repair areas don't match, will help with solidity. There will be a laminated fiber on the white polystyrene core underneath that blue foam.

Carbon strips over top stringers and a big piece to wrap it all the way around the rails to bottom of hull.

Cured, puttied and sanded.

A little art to semi blend in the repair (rails too) and ready to glue the foam pad back on it (shiny surface).

·
Registered
750 Posts
And voilà ! As good as new ... to me.

About $150 invested in material, roughly 30 hours. Well worth it.
The whole thing didn't add too much weight to the board, maybe half a kilo at the most.
I've been riding it for two years now and I think it is stronger than it was when new.

In the windsurfing community, nobody believed I could pull it out. That board was trashed for them. I worked on it through the winter and made a journal of it on a forum. I had over 5000 hits.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts