The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
My 'SCAMP'

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404871162.156558.jpg

It's a Trinity Amps Tramp that I built in the amp camp a couple of years ago.
http://www.guitarscanada.com/showthread.php?t=39847

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404871218.423196.jpg

The speaker came from a member here, StevieMac if I remember correctly.

I use it pretty much every time I plug in.
I've been running it without pedals lately and just using the controls to get the tone I want. Between the Power, Volume, and Master Volume, there are all kinds of tones in there. Then, start messing with the push/pull knobs and it gets fun. Pull the tone knob and the tone "widens" out. Pull the Volume knob and it switches from tweed mode to 'tude mode and you get a little Marshally.

The chime in tweed mode is surprising. I brought the amp to my guitar lesson once and my instructor asks about the amp every time I see him. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,239 Posts
Nice choice of amps to build. The finished wood no tolex is a classy touch. Who did the stain ? Does the amp grind well?

I have 2 of Derrick Bell's cabinets and they're wonderful. Once you go solid pine, it's hard to go back to anything else.

This was my first build. It's a Fender Tweed clone (5E3) and I'll be playing a show with it on Saturday.

Cabinet by Derek Bell.

·
Premium Member
16,491 Posts
Thanks.

There's no stain at all, just four coats of water based poly (doesn't smell so you can apply it without any special ventilation).

I finished it on my bench.

It grinds beautifully. These days it's all I play with.

While he was at it I had him make me an extension cabinet.

He does excellent work.

·
Premium Member
4,239 Posts
Hey Milk

Now all you need is a branding iron and put your emblem on the wood. Then you'll be able to Strat your traditional country band. Haha. Just kidding. It's super sweet. I have 2 of his cabinets now. He's my go to builder.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well damn Scoltx, dunno what size that snake was but I didn't knew it could be use to cover two combo amps :smiley-faces-75: Scroll down to understand what I mean ahahah

I'll start with my Weber 8CM100. Prior to that, I had no experience in amp works. In fact, I didn't even built a pedal, only practice I had with a solder gun was with my guitars electronic. I couldn't tell the difference between a capacitor and a resistor, even less read a schematic. It was only 2 years ago! Amp is working well now, suffered many mods too, next one will be the add of a separate EQ for the clean channel. Also, my friend who own the Halle below is working with his father to build an headcase for both our amps, should be done somewhere before summer lol.

At band rehearsal. Forgive the Quebec Gold flag, artifact from my college years lol

Next project was my friend's Weber Halle. He ordered his kits at the same time I ordered mine but he couldn't make it works. Once my 8CM100 was done, I offered to check if I could fix it, wich I was able to do, beside the master volume. I then changed it for a LarMar type PPIMV, wich does wonders. Also changed all post to Alphas and rewired the preamp almost entirely. Now the amp works like a charm and it has some sweet tones coming out of it. It is apparently voiced like a Dumble Overdrive Special, so I'll never be able to try it agains't the real thing though

A before/after picture. Top picture is before the pots overhaul and PPIMV install

Another friend asked me if I could build him a Marshall clone amp. Since he wanted to have a 50w tube combo for less than a grand, I went with yet another Weber kit. That time though, we went for a Weber cabinet and speaker to go along, he decided to get a Snakeskin tolex, the result is quite amazing. Amp is working real fine now, modded it a bit (LarMar PPIMV, dual pot for the channel's gain and a switch that toggle between regular plexi, jumper channel and channel cascading). He should come and get his amp sometime this month, hopes he'll be happy with it

Finally, my 1972 Traynor Bassmaster. I got that amp for 100$, lots of components were missing inside and, of course, the amp was not working at all because of that. I replaced the turret board, cleaned all the rust on the chassis, changed the pots for some Weber I had laying around after the overheaul of my friend's Halle (not as good as Alphas, better than the ones that were in it), replaced a couple of value to match a Plexi, added the same switch that I've done in my friend's 6M45P, added a PPIMV and an adjustable bias. Amp has a shitload of clean headroom, thanks to the massive Hammonds irons, but it still has the plexi brown sound.

Amp as I got it

[continued in the next post]

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wow those are some intense builds you have done Y.V. Nice

Hey, in-laws have a camp over on Lac Fortune. Climbed Mt Cheminis over Virginiatown way when I was younger, lot's of good memories.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Hey Y.V....those rebuilds deserve to have glass covers so the beauty job is not hidden.:applouse:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow those are some intense builds you have done Y.V. Nice

Hey, in-laws have a camp over on Lac Fortune. Climbed Mt Cheminis over Virginiatown way when I was younger, lot's of good memories.
Wasn't sure if the Mt Cheminis meant "Mont Chaudron", quick google search confirmed that ahaha. Never went there myself but thats pretty close to me.

Cheers and thanks for the comment!

Hey Y.V....those rebuilds deserve to have glass covers so the beauty job is not hidden.:applouse:
Lol not sure if its that clean, but I try to put a lot of effort to make my stuff clean, even though almost nobody will ever see that ahaha

But thanks man, appreciated!

·
Registered
369 Posts
My 5E3 Tweed build

Hi guys, just to present my last build, still not finished, but almost there.
1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG
It's a scratch build, chassis is made of a piece of extruded aluminum 2X4", wall thickness 1/8"
transformers are from Riviera 725 amp made by Pepco, speaker is curbside pickup, I have re-coned it long time ago with Weber parts.
5.JPG 6.JPG
I choose this old alnico this morning after trying out four speakers I had at hand.
7.JPG
I was able to crank them full, I liked this old one a lot.
Second choice was Utah, following by Oxford. I didn't like the Greenback at all in this amp.
I tried it out with Washburn ssh and rat clone.
Now I'm just waiting for Tweed to finish the cab and decide how to do the faceplate, most likely I will polish the aluminum and do the lettering
pcb methode (etching with FeCl3)
Cheers, Damir

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
Re: My 5E3 Tweed build

Few more details about this speaker, it was made by British company Vitavox, speaker was branded Phillips and cone was ripped off when I found it.
IMG_0006.jpg
After succesfull patching and trying out, I decided to recone it.The dome was added, not original.
IMG_0003.jpg
Weber parts did fit like a glove. Interesting part of the speaker is phenolic spider, I kept it.
16.jpg
Speaker was rated 15 Ohms/10 or15 W, now it's 8 Ohms/25W

Attachments

1 - 20 of 85 Posts