The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Welcome to the official WTF @ Reverb.com thread!

I love the kijiji thread. There are a lot of facepalm-worthy items posted by everyday folks on Kijiji, and some items that the owners must think are real gems (but clearly are not).

But if you are posting on the Reverb site, shouldn’t you be a little more knowledgeable and expect potential buyers to be more knowledgeable as well? Then why are there so many ads on Reverb that make me shake my head too?! Let’s all share & enjoy.

Just with the Kijiji thread please post pictures and content from the ad instead of a simple link to the ad for the sake of being able to look back at this when the ads are long since laughed off of the internet.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Shipping to Canada on Reverb is almost always nuts. I don’t know what their problem is as I suspect most people use Reverb shipping estimation tools to set the shipping cost. So this WTF is also with Reverb itself.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Reverb is a great place to sell....but I don't understand how at least 75% of ads are ridiculously overpriced. Whats the point of listing something at 5k when there are half a dozen similar if not identical items at 3k????
Its very wierd.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
I had never used Reverb until last Thursday when I checked it while looking for a Historic. I came across a minty R8 at a small store in Montreal and made an offer for several hundred dollars less than their asking price. They countered with an offer that was only a hundred bucks more than mine so I agreed. I did question the almost $100 shipping charge but they sent me copies of shipping estimates/invoices to my address and the cost was accurate (insurance made up a chunk of the cost).

So in the end I got an R8 for $3300 (no tax) plus $100 shipping. If I love the guitar I think I got a good deal. If I think it is a dog I can sell it on without losing money.

·
Premium Member
2,463 Posts
Sometimes, sellers put in an astronomical shipping price to other countries and then ask you to message them about shipping. They will then get you an actual shipping quote. They just put that in there so people won't immediately buy the item and find out that shipping was actually double. I think Reverb's shipping calculator for international shipping might not be so good.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
@colchar This is the “wtf @ Reverb” thread, not the “Make everyone jealous about the good deal I found” thread. ;)

Also, how have you not been on Reverb until last Thursday?!!

I wasn't really in the market before that and, when I was, I stuck to things like L and M, Kijiji, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Sometimes, sellers put in an astronomical shipping price to other countries and then ask you to message them about shipping. They will then get you an actual shipping quote. They just put that in there so people won't immediately buy the item and find out that shipping was actually double. I think Reverb's shipping calculator for international shipping might not be so good.
I am not sure that’s a dominant factor. I’ve asked a few about it, well twice: one said OMG I have no idea how that happened and then nothing, and the other didn’t respond at all. I might suggest it is to exclude non-domestic shipping altogether, but setting a ridiculous shipping price doesn’t really entice most people to contact you — most people are conflict averse and will just move on. You have to keep in mind that almost no-one there (or here, or Kijiji) actually NEEDS any more gear, it is just a want and a hobby — it’s easy to avoid conflict and to move on when something isn’t just right.

·
Premium Member
2,463 Posts
I am not sure that’s a dominant factor. I’ve asked a few about it, well twice: one said OMG I have no idea how that happened and then nothing, and the other didn’t respond at all. I might suggest it is to exclude non-domestic shipping altogether, but setting a ridiculous shipping price doesn’t really entice most people to contact you — most people are conflict averse and will just move on. You have to keep in mind that almost no-one there (or here, or Kijiji) actually NEEDS any more gear, it is just a want and a hobby — it’s easy to avoid conflict and to move on when something isn’t just right.
I've been told by a few sellers, both on Reverb and EBay, that they did that pricing that way on purpose so people would ask. I do agree it's likely most just don't want to deal with international shipping.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I might suggest it is to exclude non-domestic shipping altogether
I do agree it's likely most just don't want to deal with international shipping.
This would make sense except for the fact that you can easily modify shipping profiles to include or exclude various countries. I think it's more likely that the shipping estimator is nuts, as previously mentioned.

I'm a little surprised no one has commented on the guitar, which is another WTF on its own.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Fucking Canada Post. According to their website my guitar is out for delivery today, but I received a pickup notice with my regular mail saying it can be picked up after 1pm tomorrow. They didn't even try to deliver it this morning.

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
Any time I see an outrageous shipping price I just assume it's a an American too lazy to get off their fat butt to do some paperwork and ship to Canada. Basically it's a nice way of saying &*ckyou!

Reactions: Kenmac and colchar

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
Fucking Canada Post. According to their website my guitar is out for delivery today, but I received a pickup notice with my regular mail saying it can be picked up after 1pm tomorrow. They didn't even try to deliver it this morning.

You know we are both insane for thinking that a postal worker should actually knock on the door when they have a package for you.

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts

You know we are both insane for thinking that a postal worker should actually knock on the door when they have a package for you.

Reactions: colchar

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
65C245B7-E4E1-4E5B-BF4B-0F24CFBD642C.jpeg
AB534288-733A-46A2-9B16-39665C36483D.jpeg
I’m just laughing at their “Related Products” who knew the Dumble & Peavey Special 130 we’re so tonaly matched?!?

Reactions: troyhead
1 - 20 of 26 Posts