The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where are all the East Cost boy's and girls? I have family in Dominion, Glace Bay, Sydney (Capre Breton) as well as some in Halifax and the Valley. Have not been for a visit in a few years. It's time to do that soon though.

·
Registered
874 Posts
My wife was born and raised in Halifax.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...born in charlottetown, raised in nova scotia (chester basin), lived in both st john's and saint john. can't get much more "down home" than that.

plus, having lived in montreal for sixteen years, i'm an honorary "quebecois".

-dh

·
Premium Member
16,816 Posts
Born in Chatham, NB (now part of Miramichi).

I moved away in 78 but I still feel like the east coast is home.

Have a look at my left shoulder in this pic.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I may be an honorary east coaster because I lived in Halifax for 9 years. I figured that once people stopped calling me an "Upper Canadian" I'd been there long enough to grudgingly earn their respect. Haha.

Also, I'm married to a hot Cape Bretoner. :banana:

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Born and Raised in Halifax/Dartmouth.

Fell asleep on the bus and ended up in Burlington, ON in 1988. Love to go back to NS, but tried it once and it just doesn't work for me economically. Most everyone I new has left over the years as well, so when I do go back I feel like a stranger.

David Henman - I knew I regognized that name - My mother used to have pictures of me sitting on the potty wearing the "Purple Feet" (I've always called it that) album cover as a hat, I was about 2 years old at the time.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I was heading to Toronto at the time.

Me and a friend of mine were drinking at a party one Saturday night, came up with the brilliant idea that we could move to TO ane live like rock stars. We hoped on a train the next day with my guitar and girlfriend in tow - the guitar I kept, the girlfriend I sent back home after two days.

We somewhat accomplished our goal, but I had to grow up after a few years and I've been here (now Hamilton) ever since. My buddy returned home after the party was over and resumed the festivities there.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Hamm Guitars said:
David Henman - I knew I regognized that name - My mother used to have pictures of me sitting on the potty wearing the "Purple Feet" (I've always called it that) album cover as a hat, I was about 2 years old at the time.

...ha! that is rich!

-dh

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I was 8 years old when my family left Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. I was a navy brat and my dad got transferred several times. My mother's side is from Pictou and Antigonish. For the last 100 years I've lived in Stoney Creek but I still miss Nova Scotia.

After all that time I don't know if I can still call myself a Down Homer but I do know that if I get too drunk or excited I lose my Ontarian accent...

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Wild Bill said:
I was 8 years old when my family left Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. I was a navy brat and my dad got transferred several times. My mother's side is from Pictou and Antigonish. For the last 100 years I've lived in Stoney Creek but I still miss Nova Scotia.
After all that time I don't know if I can still call myself a Down Homer but I do know that if I get too drunk or excited I lose my Ontarian accent...
...once a down homer, always a down homer, wild bill.

-dh

·
Registered
136 Posts
My father is from Glace Bay. I've been to NS 5 times now and can't wait to go again. I have family, Aunts and Uncles in Halifax, Cow Bay, Dartmouth, Iona, probably a couple more places.

I love it there but my father doesn't want to go back. For many years I didn't understand him, but now as I get older it gets more clear. He left because there was nothing there for him. His dad was a coal miner and his father before him so his memories are of struggle and such, not the good things that I saw.

It is God's country in my book. :smilie_flagge17:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts