The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24,333 Posts
Didn't the name for the isthmus between Couchiching and Simcoe ("tkaronto") really mean "place where many elders live and have a nice view of the beach"?

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
The most beloved city is Québec City ! Our unique land mark and nicest looking woman ! :D
I don't know about that. I kinda liked Rouyn-Noranda as a Quebec town when I was young. It was mostly a forestry town back then, and if you were there during the week, chances are you would be one of the very few men in town, most of them were out in the woods working all week and staying in camps. Which does has it's upside when you are young.

·
Premium Member
3,152 Posts
Dominion City on the Dawson Trail in Manitoba was supposed to be the "capitol" of Western Canada until the railroad decided to go through Winnipeg. As lovable as a rescue animal.

IMG_0588.PNG

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
The most beloved city is Québec City ! Our unique land mark and nicest looking woman ! :D
Look I hate to disagree because its been many years since I went through there but what I remember was a very bunch of hairy women armpits and legs so not so hot for me hey.
As for Vancouver well it has been voted as the most NON fun city in CaNADA me I always liked Vernon

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Look I hate to disagree because its been many years since I went through there but what I remember was a very bunch of hairy women armpits and legs so not so hot for me hey.
As for Vancouver well it has been voted as the most NON fun city in CaNADA me I always liked Vernon
Vernon? Did a hooker take her dentures out first, for you?

·
Registered
24,333 Posts
I’ve been there, specifically to pick up a postcard of Capt. Dildo that I mailed anonymously to a coworker at our place of business.

The mailroom got a good laugh as did his cube mates when he pinned it up.

What adds a little more pleasure to the perception of that town name is that there are three places in a row - Heart's Delight, Heart's Content, and Heart's Desire - and a little ways down the road is Dildo, as if to say "Once you've fulfilled all of those needs, there's this." Of course, for those whose desires and delights are perhaps too easily achieved, there's always Come-By-Chance. (There, definitive proof that I too was once in Grade 10.) Newfoundland and Labrador have no end of charming and scenic small towns and outports whose names meant and mean something different to the folks that established them, and were likely named with complete disregard to the names of other places even 20 miles away.

I've driven the length of the country from Halifax to Victoria several times, used to live in St. John's, Fredericton, Hamilton Edmonton and Victoria (in addition to my birthplace of Montreal and current city of Ottawa), and passed through pretty much most Canadian municipalities with more than 15,000 people. Pretty much everywhere is nice, and a place that folks who grew up there would love to move back to one day. They all have their flaws, and they all have their charms. La Pocatiere, Quebec was a pleasant surprise, as was Bracebridge, ON, Kenora, ON, Osoyooz, BC and Dartmouth, NS. Not that I had any sort of negative view before, but we were surprised at how somewhere we hadn't heard much about could turn out to be so nice. Some cities can turn out to be more easily lovable as a resident pedestrian than as a driver. (I'm looking at YOU, Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver.)

·
Registered
24,333 Posts
You haven't lived until you've done a gig in Dildo...
There's actually a town in Pennsylvania, maybe about an hour east of Scranton, with the name Newfoundland. I wanted to take a picture of the highway sign as we passed it, but sadly we missed the opportunity. It is a standard white-on-green sign that says "Newfoundland - 1 mile" with an arrow pointing in the direction. That's not really a sign you'd see in Canada.

In upstate New York, between Watertown and Syracuse, lies the town of Mexico. That also results in an amusing highway sign that points to Mexico, a few miles away.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts