The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking back to the music that most impacted my life. By the article I've linked in this post the most important decade in someones life is your 20's. To be exact the decade between 18 and 28. So theoretically the music of the 80's should be the most memorable for me as I was born in 1960. But for me my favorite music spans from the mid 60's to the late 70's. I actually didn't like that much music from the 80's with the exception of some hair metal. Canadian rock wasn't bad either. But for the most part the mainstream 80's was a bust for me. I always seemed to be playing catch up with music that was already past due.
Just wondering what others think. Is the decade of your 20's (18-28) your most memorable for music.

What Are the Most Important 10 Years of Your Life?

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I'm in my 20s now. This decade isn't giving me the musical influence I need. 65-75 is where I mostly draw from.

"It’s then that the young engage in the riskiest behavior—binge drinking, illicit drug use, unprotected sex, and crime."

Although, after reading the article it seems accurate enough.

L

·
0 Posts
I'm the same as guitman2. Born '61.
In my teens and 20's, listened to late 60's - 70/80's era.
Sabbath, Purple, Nugent etc. onward to Maiden, Priest, Metallica ..
I'm pretty much open to everything now, as long as it grabs me by the booboo.

·
Premium Member
11,823 Posts
Like @guitarman2 and @laristotle , I was born in 61 and the 70s (so my teen years) were the most influential to me. Zep, Yes, Queen, Sabbath, Deep Purple, etc.

I played a lot of hair metal in my 20s, when it was current but now revert back to classic rock (I play more for enjoyment now than as a business endeavor). I've even gone back and gotten more into late 60s guys I wasn't into in the early 70s (Jimi, I'm looking at you). Hardly ever delve into the 80s playlist anymore. Can't really pull off the hair thing anymore. I guess Trump and I have something in common. He can't either.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
60's for me as i discovered all the British music. Was a great time and i was 11-19 years of age.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Born in 1950. Each decade that went by had things that defined me but the next decade was just as good or better.
We should strive to make the decade were living in the most influential decade. Why settle for anything else. I hope this makes sense. . . . . ps: Never read the article.

·
Premium Member
10,926 Posts
Born in '58, and the decade roughly delineated by my 14th and 24th birthdays would be the most influential in terms of folk, jazz, rock, and blues, not just the music of that era but also the music I discovered during that era, much of which would be older. My classical tastes were already enshrined in my mind by then, but my late teens and early 20s were huge for music discovery. Glam rock (New York Dolls, anyone?), blues rock (Rory Gallagher, Roy Buchanan, Led Zeppelin, Little Feat), folk rock (Jethro Tull, Steeleye Span), jazz rock (Jean-Luc Ponty), and so much more...Dire Straits...

One tune, Since I've Been Loving You, a minor key blues with a hearty early folk/blues influence expertly overlaid with heavy blues/rock sensibilities kind of encapsulates the period for me. Sure it was released in 1970, but it didn't really hit the collective rock conscience until a little later. I could have just as easily picked several other tunes, A Million Miles Away by Rory Gallagher, or Sailin' Shoes by Little Feat for example, but I think I cried the first time I heard the glorious seven and a half minutes of Since I've Been Loving You.

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
Hmmm,,, gets me thinking...

Born in 66. The music that I play is mostly from the late 80s to the mid-90s, though I'm trying to contemporize my set list. In terms of listening, mostly I'm tired of the music from before 1980, but it certainly provided the soundtrack for my formative years. In the 80s, I didn't like 80s music, but now I love it - overproduced, yes, but some great tunes came out of that decade. I enjoyed and continue to enjoy the music of the nineties, and that would be somewhat consistent with the article - I was 33 at the turn of the century. In 2001, my first kid was born and I have zero knowledge of music from that decade. Lately, the bulk of the music that I listen to is from the past five years or so, but I don't know that music anywhere near as intimately as I do the music from previous eras.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
There is a difference in "formative" and "influential" and the "formative" years can have a large effect on what "influences" us in later years. The first few years of life are the most important as it affects the rest of our lives. Studies show that even in the womb children learn. They can learn to recognize sounds, voices, music and even recognize calm or volatile situations.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is a difference in "formative" and "influential" and the "formative" years can have a large effect on what "influences" us in later years. The first few years of life are the most important as it affects the rest of our lives. Studies show that even in the womb children learn. They can learn to recognize sounds, voices, music and even recognize calm or volatile situations.
I'm talking mainly music and how it impacted the rest of my life. The music I remember the most for me was in between the ages of 13 and 18. The music it self wasn't from that decade. But the music I was exposed to between those years remain the most influential to me. In this case "formative" and "influential", although having different meanings, really means the same thing to me.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
I'm talking mainly music and how it impacted the rest of my life. The music I remember the most for me was in between the ages of 13 and 18. The music it self wasn't from that decade. But the music I was exposed to between those years remain the most influential to me. In this case "formative" and "influential", although having different meanings, really means the same thing to me.
I understood what you were saying. I was just stating the difference between formative and influential and how our formative years have a major effect on the rest of our life including what, who and how we are influenced. They are connected in our life but the two are very different from one another.

Here is an example. If in our formative years we are taught, guided and have good positive examples in our lives, there will be less of a chance for negative influences in our later years. However, if our formative years have little or no guidance, we are taught little and have bad examples, negative influences will have a much greater chance of affecting us in later years. This will affect all aspects of our life, including musical influences.

·
Premium Member
13,020 Posts
The decade 1965 to 1975.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Wow... I thought I had my shit together by 1980 (The Wall...OMG).. got to university and the guys across the hall were punks....Ramones, Dead Kennedy's, Clash..etc, etc... yeah... 18-25 really changed my definition of who I was... (Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedys)... Sex and drugs and rock and roll...all my brain and body needs..

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Born in '69. I'm a 70's/80's Half Breed. Hard and Prog Rock from the 70's, NWOBHM in the 80's. I'm a bit of a mix of the 2, plus other stuff.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts