The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From an interview with Ritchie Blackmore...

"But in jazz you have a very broad construction. You can hit ninths, fifths, flattened ninths; thing like that. In rock you're limited, and that's the challenge. This might sound silly, but I feel jazz is too free. You can be playing with a jazzer and be up, and down that fingerboard and you can hit any note you want, it's going to work out a flattened ninth, a tenth, a thirteenth - it's going to be something. Even in a different key it'll fit somewhere; I've done it. Take a progression like A, F sharp, D, and E, and they're experimenting and hitting diminisheds and augmenteds, so when they hit that A, you can play any note you like and it'll either be a flattened third, a flattened fifth, an added sixth or a suspended ninth. They can get away with murder, some of those guys. Great runs and things but because there's so much going on in the background it's bound to be related somewhere along the line, so it always fits. This is probably what they get off on. Whereas in rock, you can't. If somebody's hitting an A, you've got to stick around that A somehow."

·
Registered
Telecaster & 339
601 Posts
Goes triple for the blues.
In my experience it takes a lot of insight into phrasing to get past the warmup riffing kinda blues we all know too well from basement jams, and into something intensely emotive inside its limitations.

Sent from my A3_Pro using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
I guess it depends on the player. Guys like Vito Bratta, Alex Skolnick and Reb Beach certainly bring some complexity to very simple music.

·
Premium Member
4,243 Posts
That’s an easy way out of saying that “what I do is more challenging than that other stuff”.

Jazz is clearly more complex and his notion that any old note will just “work out” is rubbish. I’d say that staying within a 5 note confinement will likely make things easier thanks trying to develop a melody over a complex set of chord changes from even the easiest standard.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I partly agree, but anybody playing guitar for a year can play rock "sticking around the A". How is that harder than decades of knowledge and practice to be able to do those insane outside the box jazz runs. I've never thought jazz musicians play without emotion. It's coming from somewhere. I guess I can't say I agree with richie after all...

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Well, what can one say, it's Blackmore! As much as I love the Dio-fronted records with Rainbow, I never cared for Blackmore as a person. If you find an interview where he's not condesending and/or borderline nasty (even when talking about the Smoke on the Water riff!), please do let me know.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As someone who enjoys TRYING to play some jazz chords, progressions and and simple lines, I am very pleased and relieved to know that my potential of choosing more notes that might be suitable is been dramatically expanded. I feel "free" ...well at least until I actually try it.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
This is very true. Blackmore's playing is above and beyond. His personality, on the other hand, is below and within.

·
Registered
333 Posts
For a dude that seems to know a ton of theory Ritchie is spewing nonsense here. Not "any note will do". That being said, giving yourself strict parameters to work within can be a huge challenge and super rewarding. I used to marvel at Chris Layton's drumming with SRV because 90% seemed to be the same Texas shuffle pattern but it always felt a little different and sounded like a million bucks.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
I understand that the jazz guys are well schooled and use those teachings well. But if he's talking about the challenges of showing off your skills within the parameters of a rock song. He may have a point. Simple rock songs get air play. Complicated ones, generally do not. Dream Theater and Nirvana both hit the scene at the same time. Just sayin!! lol

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
The job of a musician is to add to the song to make the song better. That is hard to do and often lost in an attempt to show off. The genre doesn’t matter. What matters is the song and how your playing fits into and improves the song.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
A controversial quote by a controversial character. You're learning the best media practices my friend :)

I didn't expect this thread to develop so much traction.
Thanks for the funny (and serious) responses.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts