1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
25,135 Posts
Oh brother, I shouldn't be, and don't mean to be critical, but you have some serious catching up to do! :);)

Just out of curiosity, what did you think was making that sound, or was it simly something you never noticed before?
I got my first rotating speaker in 1979, because I knew that's what provided all those delicious tones like Badge, No Matter What, Casey Jones, and especially Foot in Coldwater's singular hit "Make me Do Anything You Want". Once you've played through one it's hard to settle for anything less.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
I had no idea what a Leslie was until a few years ago. Just a matter of your vintage I suspect. Like millennials who have never seen an 8 track.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Oh brother, I shouldn't be, and don't mean to be critical, but you have some serious catching up to do! :);)

Just out of curiosity, what did you think was making that sound, or was it simly something you never noticed before?
I got my first rotating speaker in 1979, because I knew that's what provided all those delicious tones like Badge, No Matter What, Casey Jones, and especially Foot in Coldwater's singular hit "Make me Do Anything You Want". Once you've played through one it's hard to settle for anything less.

Who were these guys anyway? Never heard of them. A one-hit Canadian band?

·
Premium Member
25,135 Posts
Almost every day, in almost every regional Kijiji, there will be some two-keyboard home organ that some older person is either giving away free to a good home or selling for a very modest price (here's one in your area that didn't take me long to find: VOX 8480 ORGAN (piano) | Pianos & Keyboards | Mississauga / Peel Region | Kijiji ).

Though not all, many of them have a rotating speaker behind the grill cloth underneath. The speaker is usually 8" and rated for about 20W capacity. Pull it out, power it with a medium-power amp, throw together a cab for it, and you've got that tone. Here's a video showing what you'll find and get. I power mine with my tweed Princeton. Anyone who tries it gets mesmerized. More than a mere tone, it is an experience.

The caveat is that, where big console Leslies rotate in the horizontal plane, these home-organ units only rotate along the vertical plane (I tried horizontal and the belt-drive chokes up), which means you lose a teeny bit when the baffle points down.

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
I had no idea what a Leslie was until a few years ago. Just a matter of your vintage I suspect. Like millennials who have never seen an 8 track.
I'm 33 and I knew have known for many years, though it may have helped that my dad has always played guitar also.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
I love the sound of a guitar played through a Leslie!

I've never had a real one unfortunately. I used to have a Line 6 Roto something, but I've had a big box (Ver 1) Neo Ventilator for quite a few years.

P

·
0 Posts
What is that guitar he is playing? It is like a fender tele with a bite out of the back.

They were playing to the record? If not how did he get the dual guitars at the end of the song?

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Oh, I noticed but I wasn't curious enough to bother finding out.

When I was growing up, many of the bands had them but some songs seem to be more fitted to the Leslie than others, like the ones you and I posted.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts

Another Canadian reference: Pat Travers played guitar through Leslies live and on record.

There is nothing like being in the physical space with a Leslie and hearing it in the room. Especially the big, 2 way units (usually connected to something like a B3). Sadly, once they're mic'd, they lose a lot of that 3D-ness and aren't much better than a good electronic simulator.

Reactions: bolero

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
I'm 33 and I knew have known for many years, though it may have helped that my dad has always played guitar also.
I suppose so. I was gifted a Leslie 145. I had it restored, and it sits in my family room. I don't think anyone has yet to know what it is until I tell them.
I love the sound of a guitar played through a Leslie! I've never had a real one unfortunately.
You're welcome to come over and try it :)
I have an interface box from Analog Outfitters that allows me to connect guitar or keyboard.

·
Premium Member
25,135 Posts
Many players, both guitar and keyboard, associate the word "Leslie" with something that requires owning a panel van or larger, and using a hand-truck to move. That tended to make rotating speakers something that folks knew about but never owned or used, simply because it was easier to lug around a deep freeze. If you had roadies, that was one thing. But most musicians are also their own roadies. So they left their Leslie in the showroom.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Heavy. I put Sarah McLaughlin and her band on stage once and they used an electric keyboard with a "fake" wood panel around it to make it look like a b3. Sounded great!

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
A bandmate showed up with his B3 and big, tall Leslie one afternoon (of course, loaded in a full-size van), only to realize he'd left the special interconnect cable at home. Had to drive all the way back (60 minute round-trip) and retrieve it . Because that is not something you can just run over to Radio Shack* and buy.

*Of course, you can't run over to Radio Shack anymore, because they changed their name to The Source - and then apparently out-Sourced themselves. They appear quite, quite gone now.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
And let's not forget this Leslie effect ...........

1 - 20 of 23 Posts