The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
For me her stuff is hit or miss. Can't stand Wuthering Heights for example, but Cloudbusting is a good one (cool vid too). The Brits have this weird fascination with her tho (see Noel Fielding's drag impression and dance routine to Wuthering Heights at the 2011 Comic Relief benefit, and the Utah Saints' Something Good being based off a vocal sample from Cloudbusting - posted that vid, of the updated version vs the 80s/90s original in another thread the other week). Probably because they just had her all over the radio for a decade straight and grew up with her in their mom's kitchens. Kinda like us with the CanCon and Celine Dion/Brian Adams/Anne Murray etc.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Such a unique artist; voice, song writing, dance, theatrics. And high praise from so many; Gilmour, Gabriel, John, Amos...

I wanted to pick up her album in 2011 but it fell off my radar until now.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
she is super talented, voice and choreography etc

I was mesmerized by the cloudbusting tune.....and who can forget babooshka !!

yeah, yeah

I have never had a chance to really get into her stuff though, thanks for that doc link, will watch!!

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
I LOVE HER!

She is the yardstick by which I measure all other female singers. They've all come up wanting so far.
Yes, mostly agreed but Siouxsie and Ari Up are easily up there with her, and (along with Bush - they all started out in the late 70s, Bush was the last of the 3 to debut a record IIRC) paved the way for femmes to be taken seriously in rock music (R&B was ahead of us in that regard). There were frontwomen in rock before then (see The Runaways, just a few years earlier), but they had a real hard time being seen as anything but a gimmick/just some ass. Suzi Quatro (along with her sisters) being the main early pioneer(s), who I maintain, was only ever taken seriously (in a popular way; obviously some managers/producers/etc believed in her and others before that) much later in her career and her tenacity to stick it out is to be respected.

Sioxsuie and Ari , like Bush, were from a period in British popular music where vocal gymnastics became a thing (see also Freddie Mercury, and if you really think about it, Johnny Lydon - sure he wasn't as good technically, but he did learn to control that whip of his).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts