The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Premium Member
20,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search, all I got was the bbq thread.

What is your go to? How much heat do you like? Do you make your own?

I am trying to figure out what my heat threshold is. Wing nights are more thoughtful now.

Ingredient Sauces Bottle Condiment Food

Yes I anticipate hot ones to be part of this thread ;)

· Premium Member
18,203 Posts
I like Habanero based sauces.
We grow a variety of peppers, but after harvest, my wife will make salsa with the hab's
There's a very popular Caribbean restaurant in Oakville that I hit when I'm in the area to buy some Rotis and keep in my fridge.
On my last visit, I finally managed to buy a jar of their house sauce. It sells out fast when they make a batch for sale.
https://www.dhotshoppe.com/
I am trying to figure out what my heat threshold is
Give me flavour or get out
It takes a while for one to build up the tolerance for heat, but once you get there, habanero's have the best flavour. IMO.
Not a lot. It's not ketchup.
Sometimes you may want to take a plate of ice cubes with you to the bathroom the next day. lol

· Registered
5,082 Posts
Due to weather I missed the "Heat wave" show downtown and wasn't able to find anything real good to try. So far, my go to sauce is Frank's. Yes, compared to most it's training wheels, but until I get a chance to sample some others, it'll have to do.

On a hot note, I did grow Devil's Tongue peppers couple years ago to add to our chili. Those effers are HOT!!! I had intended to make a hot sauce, but I think the face melting scene in Raider's of the lost ark would come true. 125K - 325K SHU. @Budda .... if I ever do make a sauce from another grow.........I'll be sure to share.

I should add that I take Tecta daily for acid reflux, but it allows me to eat hot stuff without searing pain later on.

· Registered
4,898 Posts
I've made my own Pineapple Habanero sauce with the peppers grown out back. Don't really have a favorite, but the chili sauce that we like is the Sambal Olek Indonesian one. I agree with the idea of hot sauce for taste rather than just as much heat as possible. Some Chili's are friggin tasty. Nothing wrong with Franks neither. Great tasting.

· Premium Member
4,493 Posts
Any Frank's Red Hot is good enough for me.

We had a lot of fun with the Scotch Bonnet at camp this summer. Pork tenderloins in foil over the fire for a large crowd.

Did up an extra steak with Scotch Bonnet inside the cabin one day. My sons and I standing around the table with knives -- eyes watering and throats rasping from the Scotch Bonnet fumes in the room. A fine moment of male bonding.

Also tried African Birds Eye peppers this year but as was said: "all heat and no flavour"

Drink Soft drink Food Orange soft drink Ingredient

· Premium Member
6,091 Posts
Grace Scotch Bonnet and I really like Rhino Peri Peri on Chicken either the hot or the mild works for me

I think Scotch Bonnet has the best flavor but they are extremely hot! That's why i like the Grace brand you can add as much or little as required.

· Registered
15,293 Posts
I got a 4L jug of Frank's for Christmas from my kids. They know it's a staple with chicken for me. Literally a windshield washer jug size of Frank's. I am set for a while. HAHAHA. I may make some home made buffalo with it. Loooooooove buffalo sauce.

A bottle that size lasts my son about a month.....maybe. On a shelf above the fridge he has a bottle of this.
The bottle has been opened and he's tried it. I went to give it a sniff and the hair in my nose shriveled......from about 2 feet away.

· Registered
1,590 Posts
I love hot sauce but rarely get a chance to buy the hot stuff locally. My favorite flavor would have to be Frank's Buffalo wing sauce even though it's about as mild as hot sauce gets. Every now and then I'll use Nandos peri peri sauce or Huy Fong sriracha which is great on wings, steak, pork, etc. But lately I've been using Pepper North Momento De Meurte (Carolina reapers :D) or their No Joke hot sauce which I believe uses ghost peppers, great flavors from a Canadian company.

· Premium Member
9,009 Posts
First Love is probably my favourite all-time hot sauce. Spread a thin layer on any sandwich with a tomato on it, and it's heaven.

The reason I have so many is that my son and I interviewed each other in Hot Ones fashion. It was pretty fun.

Terry's original (made locally here in Barrie) is a tight second. It has a horseradish vibe to it that's amazing, and it won't melt your face off (although some of his offerings will).

Product Drink Sauces Ingredient Bottle

· Premium Member
9,009 Posts
I love hot sauce but rarely get a chance to buy the hot stuff locally. My favorite flavor would have to be Frank's Buffalo wing sauce even though it's about as mild as hot sauce gets. Every now and then I'll use Nandos peri peri sauce or Huy Fong sriracha which is great on wings, steak, pork, etc. But lately I've been using Pepper North Momento De Meurte (Carolina reapers :D) or their No Joke hot sauce which I believe uses ghost peppers, great flavors from a Canadian company.
If you grill chicken thighs with that nando's sauce, it'll be the best chicken you've ever grilled. No joke. Just keep adding and flipping...nothing better, imo.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.