The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know what, that Garnet got me thinking. We haven't compiled a list of all the 150W+ monsters of the world, rare or otherwise. Pics are welcome but not required.

Here's what I can think of so far:

• Mesa Boogie Coliseum (300W)
  • Marshall Major (200W)
  • Orange Thunderverb (200W)
  • Mesa Triple Rectifier (150W)
I think there's a super-high powered Twin but I'll leave that to the experts.

If people want, I can use this post as a master list.

·
Premium Member
3,176 Posts
Sunn 1000s/1200s - 120W advertised (but same UL 4xKT88/6550 power section as a Marshall Major so easily closer to 200W -which is likely rounded up from about 180)

Sunn 2000s - Same as above but bass version (diff preamp - no trem/verb; bass boost vs mid boost and diff EQ points; guitarists used em too)

Hiwatt DR405 - claims 400 W (I don't see how they're getting much more than 300 - 6 KT88s and not even UL)

Thunderfunk - TF100LS - claims 100 W but runs a quad of 6550s so at least 140-150)

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Dynacord Gigant PA/instrument head used to amplify the entire band.

Runs at over 700Volts with 4 EL34 in the power section rated at 150 Watts.

·
Premium Member
8,573 Posts
To be fair, a lot of the models in this thread so far were intended primarily for bass, though OF COURSE they can be used for guitar.

·
Premium Member
3,176 Posts
Fender 400PS- about 475+W from 6 x 6550... although Fender rated it at 435W RMS.
Can't believe I forgot about that guy. To be fair it's more like 3 amps (each pair of power tubes has it's own dedicated output - that's why there's 3 cabs behind it in the pic). They rated each output at 145W @ 4Ohms

Also even if UL (it's not), that thing can't be pushing anywhere close to 475W. I'm even skeptical of 145 per output.

·
Registered
10,026 Posts
I can't remember the model off hand, but Traynor made a 400+ watt tube bass head in the late 60's into the early 70's.

There was always a rumor that Dan Armstrong smuggled one across the border and the SVT showed up shortly after.

Edit:

The amp was the YBA-3A Super Custom Special. It was 250 Watts but could be in excess of 400 Watts when it was dimed. Here's what Tales From the Tone Lounge has to say:

You want power, little boy? Try out the YBA-3A ‘Super Custom Special’ (Pete had a problem with modesty). Why use plain old 6L6’s when you can use four 6KG6 TV horizontal output tubes and crank out 250 watts RMS before clipping. It was not unheard of to find a YBA-3A that scoped out at 400 watts with all controls ‘dimed’. The YBA-3A was sold with two 8X10″ speaker cabinets. The rumor is that Dan Armstrong smuggled one over to Ampeg, who quickly produced the SVT shortly thereafter. Coincidence? Maybe. Maybe not.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
I can't remember the model off hand, but Traynor made a 400+ watt tube bass head in the late 60's into the early 70's.

There was always a rumor that Dan Armstrong smuggled one across the border and the SVT showed up shortly after.
Congrats on sneaking the Ampeg SVT into the thread on guitar amps (%h(*&), though Keith Richards did play through them for a bit.

And how could we not mention Acoustic? The Model 270, 340 W RMS @ 1.2 Ohm (yikes! 6 8-ohm speakers in parallel), or the Model 330, 300 W RMS @ 2 Ohm.

·
Premium Member
16,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Haha. Soon as I saw the title, I knew you were inspired by the Garnet 600 to post this.

What a monster, eh, bud?
I neeeed to hear it.

To be fair, a lot of the models in this thread so far were intended primarily for bass, though OF COURSE they can be used for guitar.
Thats why I put guitar amp in the title, trying to avoid the bass amp side of the discussion.

Really its just a GAS list ;)

·
Registered
460 Posts
My first Fender amp was a Super Twin Reverb. 6x6L6's, 180 watts.

Biggest piece of crap I have ever owned, but hey, Ted Nugent used to use them.
One of his old sound guys from decades ago told me it was "DNA rearranging" loud with 4-6 of them all dimed.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts