The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned on another thread that I met a local guitarist by the name of Bill Dillon with quite a list of accomplishments. One of the unusual instruments associated with him and used extensively in his recording work is the "Guitorgan". The way Bill used it sounded just like a B3.

I had to do a little research:

Guitorgan - Wikipedia

Very cool indeed!

·
Registered
24,702 Posts
The are reputed to weigh a lot. As in much-heavier-than-the-heaviest-LP-you've-ever-lugged "a lot".

The "key contacts" are essentially the contact between an individual fret and string, which means that there is a certain degree of picking/fretting precision required. It also means there is a lot of wiring built into the neck itself, and a requirement that the strings not come into contact with each other (because a note = a unique string+fret connection).

As for the tones themselves, I'm pretty sure my Casio MIDI guitar can replicate them, plugged into the appropriate tone generator. What I'm not sure about is whether your average MIDI guitar or guitar synth can hold notes in the same manner that a guitorgan can. Keep in mind that guitar synths track string dynamics, such that they identify new "events" based on a sudden change in level. The guitorgan pays no attention whatsoever to string/note envelope and simply looks for contact make/break. That eliminates certain possibilities, but also facilitates others...like holding notes for as long as you fret. If I'm not mistaken the Moog guitar that came out a half-dozen years back or so was distinctive in being able to hold notes.

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to what I've learned, each fret is cut into six isolated pieces to identify the note being played. When Bill played his he was sitting down so that might attest to the weight you mention. It was very neat, and was apparently employed extensively on the Sarah McGlauglin and Robbie Robertson recordings Bill worked on. There's also one recording that describes Bill playing a "Billotron" - I can only assume that it's something of his creation as Google doesn't come up with anything.

·
Premium Member
17,183 Posts
Not an ehx B9? ;)

·
Registered
24,702 Posts
I was just about to dispute the 6-segment depiction of frets, when I came across this image. Gotta say, it is VERY hard to see any segmentation in frets in most of the pics posted on-line or in print. And certainly if one was sitting at the edge of a stage at a gig, you likely wouldn't be able to see it either. But sure enough, those frets ARE split. I had always thought otherwise until you obliged me to search, and a lucky image made itself known.

They sure don't LOOK split from a distance, do they? Seems to me like the brunt of the production-cost would be in assembly of the neck and associated fretwork.

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was just about to dispute the 6-segment depiction of frets, when I came across this image. Gotta say, it is VERY hard to see any segmentation in frets in most of the pics posted on-line or in print. And certainly if one was sitting at the edge of a stage at a gig, you likely wouldn't be able to see it either. But sure enough, those frets ARE split. I had always thought otherwise until you obliged me to search, and a lucky image made itself known.

They sure don't LOOK split from a distance, do they? Seems to me like the brunt of the production-cost would be in assembly of the neck and associated fretwork.
Would there be wiring to each of those segments? As I understand it pressing on the string completes a circuit for that appropriate note.

·
Registered
24,702 Posts
Would there be wiring to each of those segments? As I understand it pressing on the string completes a circuit for that appropriate note.
Yes. I'm having difficulty finding any pics of the inside of such a neck. I can find pics of the outside, and pics of the "organ" guts inside the guitar body, but nothing of the construction/assembly of the neck itself.

·
Premium Member
12,243 Posts
.......or possibly a rudimentary multiplexing system. Certainly it is possible to bury 132 or so wires in the neck, but in the long run, a bit of R&D to come up with a multiplexing system may have been worth it. I suspect build numbers are very low, but maybe they had high hopes early on.

·
Registered
24,702 Posts
.......or possibly a rudimentary multiplexing system. Certainly it is possible to bury 132 or so wires in the neck, but in the long run, a bit of R&D to come up with a multiplexing system may have been worth it. I suspect build numbers are very low, but maybe they had high hopes early on.
Easiest way to disentangle method used is to look at gutshots of the innards of the body. If you see a LOT of diodes, then there is a good chance some sort of multiplexing is being used.

·
Registered
14,921 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts