The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
12,493 Posts
i knew to stay away from apple years ago, when itunes refused to allow me to copy certain music onto my ipod.

·
Registered
15,305 Posts
Not having a music library on any computer or imac I don't have to worry about things like that. Plus, I don't use itunes, not even on my imacs.

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
I have to find it, but there was a really good followup blog about this making the rounds saying this guy more likely screwed up his settings. Which I know is very common with iTunes. The apple music match settings are kind of unintuitive but this was still likely user error. I will see if I can find the article.

I use iTunes (I still use old ipod shuffles at the gym) but I don't let it manage my library in any way. And I always have backups running daily. While I don't think iTunes is great software by any means, people not understanding it's settings, especially library setting, leads to a ton of problems. You can just tell it not to organize your music. As a podcast application and music player I don't mind it. All the other bloat sucks.

·
Premium Member
25,585 Posts
I have to find it, but there was a really good followup blog about this making the rounds saying this guy more likely screwed up his settings. Which I know is very common with iTunes. The apple music match settings are kind of unintuitive but this was still likely user error. I will see if I can find the article.

I use iTunes (I still use old ipod shuffles at the gym) but I don't let it manage my library in any way. And I always have backups running daily. While I don't think iTunes is great software by any means, people not understanding it's settings, especially library setting, leads to a ton of problems. You can just tell it not to organize your music. As a podcast application and music player I don't mind it. All the other bloat sucks.
On the other hand, listening to music should not require reading an instruction manual. Granted, making music necessarily involves technology, even if that technology is as simple as remembering to flick the standby switch. But all of that is oriented towards providing a simple pleasurable experience for the listener. Once you have to start remembering "settings", the listener experience is pretty much over.

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
On the other hand, listening to music should not require reading an instruction manual. Granted, making music necessarily involves technology, even if that technology is as simple as remembering to flick the standby switch. But all of that is oriented towards providing a simple pleasurable experience for the listener. Once you have to start remembering "settings", the listener experience is pretty much over.
Apple's recent business model is catering to people who aren't tech savvy. So it's library management feature CAN be helpful to some people and that's why it's there. It's literally a case of unchecking a checkbox in the preferences to disable it though. There isn't a single computer program I use where I don't have to adjust a couple of preference settings.

The problem with iTunes is it's not an audio player software anymore. It's meant to manage your phone, your apps, your movies, your Apple Tv etc etc. And it allows most non-teksavvy users to be able to do that fairly easily still. But it was once a pretty decent software for playing music. That's a backseat function at this point.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
There are now several articles refuting the "theft", including snopes: Apple Music is Deleting Files from Personal Computers
also
Apple Music doesn’t delete your music files
No, Apple Music is not deleting tracks off your hard drive — unless you tell it to

Disclaimer: No, I'm not a fan, apologist, or in any way affiliated with anything apple.
I'm pretty much the anti-mac ;)
I will never have an ilife or any reasonable facsimile thereof.

·
Registered
15,458 Posts
Whatever the case may be--backing up your music is still a good idea.

·
Premium Member
17,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's my issue too, G101 - there shouldn't be a setting where things can be deleted off your HD. It's not necessary.

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
From jb welder - post#10 . . . . No, Apple Music is not deleting tracks off your hard drive — unless you tell it to

Even the fact that they can delete anything off of your hard drive is a little scary to me.
There is a logic behind it how these programs work. But I just plain don't trust these 'match' services. Whether it's Google or Apple the technology still seems in it's infancy and it messes up. The idea is pretty cool, that you can subscribe to the service, but have it match songs on their cloud so that you can have access to all your music, but without having to have your library on a device. And, it will replace your old crappy mp3's with higher quality tracks in the cloud. All of that sounds cool. But, it's just not working well yet. My friend has Apple Music and it screws up matching songs constantly. It can't differentiate between demos/rare/live tracks and the studio versions is a well known issue.

RE Zontar's comment, it's not just music you should back up. My computer is running a full backup daily. If it's digital and on a drive, it can get corrupted or get lost.

·
Registered
18,585 Posts
I am so glad I have no use for Apple products in any form.................except for the kind that grows on trees and you eat.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
I quite like the Apple TV box I have. It lets me stream media from any device onto my TV. It also directly accesses any of my purchased iTunes library. Interestingly, it seems to deliver Netflix with better resolution than the Bell Fibe TV box.

·
Registered
18,585 Posts
I like these apples every now n' then too.

It has been years since I have seen this.(probably 35-40 years) This is my favourite Beatles album. Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
15,305 Posts
I like these apples every now n' then too.

I don't think my copy of Abbey Road has been played more than twice and the last time was probably 1970. My younger Bros copy has never been opened and still has the price tag on it....$4.95 I believe.
And with out Apple Records you wouldn't have

·
Registered
15,305 Posts
I am so glad I have no use for Apple products in any form.................except for the kind that grows on trees and you eat.
There's one thing worse than finding a worm in your apple....finding half a worm. I think that most cell phones etc. take videos in apple/mov format. Luckily the video editing program I use converts to a windows friendly format. Most of my older laptops will only play windows videos.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts