The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's a 20 year old SG that has been painted to look like Clapton's SG from Cream. I just got this, and I am completely wow-ed by the level of artistry here... and accuracy... the partly worn paint on the fingerboard, the extra screw in the pickguard(like Clapton's), the duplication of the paint-job... the pickups are Wolftone Dr. Vintage.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Looks like someone put a lot of work and thought into doing that. They really must have liked that guys playing?

Looks 60's psycodelia-

sincerely-
Soupbone

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Very nice. It looks newer, but very similar overall. How does it sound?
Yes...not exact, but very close. But as Hugh says the level of the Artisan that did it is very high. If you look closely and examine the brush strokes, the same technique has been used as was in the original.
I can vouch for the tone on this guitar. Hugh has been kind enough to let me play this at two gigs so far. I LOVE IT !!!!! The sound is very vintagey in the sense that it has a roundness and warmth that older guitars seem to acquire. Compared to my new Historic SG/LP, it is much smoother in tone and less congested. The pickups are lowish in output so they don't drive the amp particularly hard. But, the sound is very large, fat and wide. Perfect for slide and great for anything really (except maybe thin, scratchy funky nothings). The playability of this guitar second to none. Low, perfectly set up action. But even with the closeness of the strings to the board, I can still play slide with no fretting out at all.
The effect of the aesthetic of this guitar on people goes without saying. Even if they are unaware of it's historical connection. This past Thursday I played it at The Beaches Jazz Festival. When I strapped it on, after playing a Frankenstrat for some of the set, I could see people looking at the guitar for the whole remainder of the night. Then I fielded many questions about it afterward. No one even mentioned Clapton, Cream or Sunshine Of Your Love.
Maybe Hugh will just forget he has lent this to me and never ask for it back. :D That would make me VERY happy. :banana:
Cheers
Pete

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I love it!! That's awesome. Great paint job. Got me thinking about a JH Monteray Strat.

·
Premium Member
13,156 Posts
Hey, we need a picture of the back too. Drool

·
Administrator
16,698 Posts
Very nice, did you get that from Jim?
If you mean Seavall the answer would be no. Need to get him post pics of his here.

This is his

I'll invite him over to fill in some details.

·
Administrator
16,698 Posts
Sorry Hugh didn't mean to sidetrack, thought you'd like to see another one. Yours looks great and I can speak first hand about Dr. Vintage pups, definitely killer. :food-smiley-004:

·
Administrator
16,698 Posts

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fascinating to see all those Fool guitars... I notice that the lefty Fool in the You Tube video has the same brownish colour bands as mine (the original is more lavender in colour).... so I thought maybe the guy who painted mine is the same... but the lefty one has no painted pickup surrounds and other differences from mine. Mine even has the extra pickguard screw to make it like Clapton's ... plus the backplate held with only 2 screws as per original. All I know about mine is that it was made by "someone on the West coast". Definitely NOT an Ed Roman version(they are different). I'd love to know who made that Fool in London, ON??? The paint on the fingerboard of mine is how the original was initially. Also, word has it that Clapton sanded the back of the neck as soon as he got the Fool, so the neck painting is open to interpretation. I got mine from Chris Hall on the Gear Page. I'll post the back asap.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts