The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noodled on one today at 12th Fret. I really liked the scale and the neck. Now..

I used to own a 1964 Mustang. I bought it for $100 back in 1967. It would have been an Olympic white back then, but the finish had been sanded down to the wood. It always fell out of tune. Being a totally retarded teenager at the time, I didn't know what caused it. I now think a new nut and a set of locking tuners would have done the job.

Any way, I proceeded to pervert this thing with a humbucker in the neck and painting it Fluorescent Orange. Hey, it was 1970 MAN! Under a black light and some smoke or hit of acid, it was FAR F(*&%ING OUT!. I eventually sold it to my brother in 1975. Along with a 1957 Tremolux Amp. ( I know.) He still has it today. But it has two HBs, a total rewiring, a coil tap and is very hot. It is no longer Orange. (Thank Gawd !!!!) He sold the Tremolux for a handsome profit, despite it's shot condition.

Getting back to the current Mustang. A pair of stacked SC sized HBs along with the phase change switches would give this thing some really neat sounds.

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
I always want to try one of those! Maybe it's a teenager fantasy, I was a big fan of Nirvana, he always use Mustang, Jaguar and of course the Jagstang! How is the short neck on that guitar? I think I'm gonna find a store who carries Fender's line to try that!

·
Registered
14,904 Posts
Let a Mustang owner answer this.
It's not my main guitar--I prefer humbuckers--but it's still up there (#3).
So why'd I buy it?
-I love the sound--it's quieter, but not too much to be a problem. Especially I like that I can play it in phase or out of phase--mine is almost always set to out of phase. Add a nice sharp distortion to it, and it sounds great.
-The vibrato/tremolo bar--it's subtle--no dive bombs, but it's a great set up--usually I just nudge the heel of my hand against the tailpiece and it gives it a subtle waver--it sounds great--and you can do more with it--it also bends notes both higher & lower.
-The short scale is great for learning trickier prieces so you can learn them without stretching your fretting fingers out of joint.
-It's just plain fun!

I got it on sale years ago when a local music store was moving. Mine is stock, but with a twist--the store had 2 Mustangs--one had a nice sunburst body, but a maple fingerboard. The other had a rosewood fingerboard (which I prefer), but a horrible brown coloured body. The salesman sensed my dilemma on which one to buy and offered that they could switch the necks. So I said, "That body (sunburst) and that neck (rosewood)." It looks great with the black pickguard (so many have white or tortoise shell, and no offense to those who like those looks--but it isn't me.) And originally I was going into the stor to buy a phase shifter. But when I saw the sale price on the Mustangs I had to give them a test drive--so instead of a phase shifter I put a down payment on the Mustang (This was pre-Interac days.)

We've been together ever since--and it was my favorite guitar to use hen I taught guitar (due to it's light weight and small neck.)

If you want to try one--go ahead--they're fun to play. And they're still not that expensive if you're in the market.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts