The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
A good addition but they lost Komarov and John Van Riemsdyk and JVR scores as many goals as Tavares so that may just be a tradeoff. Time will tell but they do need help on the D. They signed some good looking prospects but that is a year or two away.

Reactions: Gary787

·
Registered
11,252 Posts
A good addition but they lost Komarov and John Van Riemsdyk and JVR scores as many goals as Tavares so that may just be a tradeoff. Time will tell but they do need help on the D. They signed some good looking prospects but that is a year or two away.
john?

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
No pressure on Tavares. :eek:

I just hope I live long enough to see the Leafs win the cup... in colour.

How long do you plan on living?:D

·
Registered
24,379 Posts
I'm no longer a Leafs fan since many years gone, simply because I now have a local team to root for. But the faith of long-time Leafs fans deserves to be rewarded, just as the faith of Capitals fans, and Chicago Cubs fans deserved to be.

·
Registered
24,379 Posts
I'm a patient man. We've come close, and given the many teams that comprise the NHL these days, I'm content with that. This season is probably the closest the Leafs have come in a while.

As I often do, I refer Leafs fans to the wonderful scene in the movie "One Week"

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm a patient man.
We're all very patient in Toronto here too (at least the ones that haven't gone totally insane by now or resorted to soccer), as you likely well know having been a Laffs fan!! Interesting days here with Tavares, and should be continuing interesting times there too - let's see what you guys get back for Erik!

·
Premium Member
10,950 Posts
Remember the year the Leafs beat the Senators 4 straight in round one? I had a part time day job in those days and went around work declaring 4 straight and everyone thought I was nuts. Must have been 2000 or 2001 or so.

This year folks, the Leafs sweep every round.

·
Registered
9,352 Posts
I remember sitting at Maple Leaf Gardens and looking over at Ballard in his "bunker". We always said that the Leafs wouldn't win a cup until after Ballard was gone..................................... and that was 18 years ago. They were gonna win the cup with Sittler, with Vaive, with Gilmour, with, oh crikey - Lindros, Clark, Sundin, Kessel, and on and on.

I no longer believe that they'll win the cup in my lifetime, and if they do? Well, I'd rather be surprised ONE year than disappointed for all the rest.

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
A week ago, local radio guy was doing free agent analysis, and focused in on Tavares. Didn't have him even in the top 15 NHL centers. Obviously subjective, but here are most of the names he rattled off.
McDavid
Crosby
Malkin
Seguin
Stamkos
Scheifele
Bergeron (getting old tho)
Kopitar
Barkov, calling him the most underrated in the entire group above and below
Kuznetsov

^ 10 there, I'd rather have any of them than JT

This bunch would be right about the same level as JT, but he was putting a few ahead:
Getzlaff (again getting old)
Matthews
Backstrom
Draisaitl (I'd rather have him than JT)
Eichel

He named a couple others I can't recall offhand.

I tend to think JT got overpaid rather large, 11M/yr puts him top 3-4. We'll see.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
A week ago, local radio guy was doing free agent analysis, and focused in on Tavares. Didn't have him even in the top 15 NHL centers. Obviously subjective, but here are most of the names he rattled off.
McDavid
Crosby
Malkin
Seguin
Stamkos
Scheifele
Bergeron (getting old tho)
Kopitar
Barkov, calling him the most underrated in the entire group above and below
Kuznetsov

^ 10 there, I'd rather have any of them than JT

This bunch would be right about the same level as JT, but he was putting a few ahead:
Getzlaff (again getting old)
Matthews
Backstrom
Draisaitl (I'd rather have him than JT)
Eichel

He named a couple others I can't recall offhand.

I tend to think JT got overpaid rather large, 11M/yr puts him top 3-4. We'll see.
I just read an article, saying he is one of the best centers in the league. Stevie Yzerman thinks so as well. As you say, it is all subjective.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I hope they turn things around but I think there's still too much missing on that team to make a real run in the playoffs. Tavares is a great player but they still need to strengthen up the blue line.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts