The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
7,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got this used a few days ago. It's been played hard and put up wet but there's something living in it and the guitar wants to go. Whoever owned it before changed out the robo tuners, installed a plastic nut and had enough sense to sell the case because that would probably fetch more than the guitar is worth. Came with 10s which pushed out of tune easy on the open D chord etc. The intonation is probably about as good as it's gonna get. Nut slots need to be sorted out particularly the G which is sitting kinda high. Put 12s on which is all I had and that fixed the D chord then cranked the truss rod a bit. I can bend what I need to with 12s but might try 11s as a compromise then finalize the setup for one or the other. Didn't even notice the wide neck first time I played it but then 3 of my acoustic guitars have 1&3/4 nut width and I also play mandolin so you just get used to all that. It kicks out pretty good through the Champ with just one goose pedal. As for the Lester hologram, it made me laugh in an ironic sort of way because one of these days there won't even be a hologram left of me so that kinda puts things in perspective ... too much fucking perspective if I might quote David St. Hubbins ...lol

·
Registered
275 Posts
Sweeeeet! Nothing beats a junior imho. Congrats on a great rock and roll machine:cool:

·
Premium Member
8,713 Posts
Congrats.

I also have one of these guitars in the house.

I'm going to be swapping out the pickup and the nut. I already took out the tuners. I'm keeping all the original parts.

There's nothing wrong with the 2015 models (outside of the typical lemons you get every year). You just have to get over the aesthetics and swap out a couple of things.

·
Premium Member
9,796 Posts
I had one but the ghost of Les Paul was moaning and wailing so much we couldn't get any sleep, absolutely had to get rid of it. Especially before anyone on the internet found out I had it and ostracized me for my poor decision making.

None of the above is true.

·
Premium Member
13,360 Posts
Drool. I find 11s work quite well with P90 in bridge. I know they make 10-52s so there might be 11-54s (heavy bottoms) or you could put together a set from singles.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had one but the ghost of Les Paul was moaning and wailing so much we couldn't get any sleep, absolutely had to get rid of it.
Mine did the same thing but I just rubbed some garlic on the hologram and that shut him up no problem.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Drool. I find 11s work quite well with P90 in bridge. I know they make 10-52s so there might be 11-54s (heavy bottoms) or you could put together a set from singles.
Got a set of 11-48 at Cosmo today and also a cheap Yorkville case so probably put those strings on it right now.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I put the 11s on and adjusted intonation really good on the low E and high E. The compensation on the lightening strike seems pretty accurate because the rest of the strings are bang on for intonation after setting the two Es. Even the G intonates well but still goes sharp in the A and D open chord because the nut slot still needs to come down. Open chords sound good though and bends are smoother than with 12s so not bad for just working maybe an hour on it. Nice action and turned out to be a nice guitar all round.

·
Premium Member
8,713 Posts
I actually don't see any dog ear models there, so maybe I will take a closer look at the 9077 - sounds right up my alley and the price is right.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was going to post a WTB thread and see what's out there, but I was leaning toward Reilander pups based on a recommendation from my guitar tech.
Yeah, there’s a ton of them out there and I wouldn’t know where to start although Sanford makes a few p90s and the 9077 is supposed to be hot. Production with them has been compromised because the owner broke his arm pretty bad but figures he should be back up in the new year. I don’t know if I need to change this one or not have to see after a few months playing it.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I actually don't see any dog ear models there, so maybe I will take a closer look at the 9077 - sounds right up my alley and the price is right.
I just looked at it now. There are pictures of dog ears and the heading for the page says dogear and soap bar P 90 plus he says he has a 9077 on his junior so it’s likely that they have them.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I had one of those and they are really nice Juniors. The pickup was the weak point. I put in a Sandford and it was a huge improvement. I don't remember the model, but man did it ever sound a lot better. Plus, its supporting a Canadian company.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts