The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They went through a lot emotionally, physically and musically with death due to drugs along the way. But they are a very talented and interesting group that seems to finally become brothers that have put their egos aside and care about one another. You might call them "With and Without Love" (from their hit song).

·
Registered
11,236 Posts
I was never into the Doobies but a forum member gave me an album and it became my driving music for a while, I got to really liking them.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Yep, great driving tunes. Used to let The Captain and Me loop over and over in the 8-track.
Don't care for them after McDonald took over though (Takin' It To the Streets).

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
In my late teens/early 20's my buddies and I called the Doobies "The institution" because they captured the music we loved so well. I wore out a few of their albums. I liked both versions. Tom Johnson and Mike MacDonald took the bands in different directions, but both versions put out some great tunes.

I camped out in Carlisle and saw them at an all day concert event. They were great from what I recall from the stupor I was in.

·
Premium Member
10,947 Posts
I prefer the Tom Johnston Doobies, but bands morph according to more factors than we usually imagine. Watched the Netflix account and it all made sense, even if it doesn't entirely suit my tastes.

Fwiw, I also prefer The Who with Moon, The Rolling Stones with Taylor, early Steely Dan, Yes...but with other bands it doesn't matter so much, even ones I really like, like Jethro Tull, Rory Gallagher, Roy Buchanan. Frankly, we're lucky to have any of them.

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
I enjoy all of their music from the Johson era to the Macdonald era. Very talented bunch. It just so happens that the newish drummer Ed Toth is the son of one of our local guitarist Brian Toth here in Ottawa. He actually sat in with them 4 times on stage. Now thats cool.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts